It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is no excuse for bad spelling....at least for some of you

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   
ATS and BTS are great places to hone your writing skills, express your opinions and to share news items. What's really great is how this site is international and that means we all get to obtain a glimpse at what others think around the world. What always amazes me is how some members are able to express themselves even though English is clearly not their first language.

In High School, Americans typically take Spanish (among other languages), can you imagine yourself expressing yourself using your high school Spanish? Or, another example, Canadians all take French but I doubt whether most could, similarly, express themselves as well as some of our "foreign" members can express themselves in English.

I can't help but feel that Americans and Canadians should make every effort, at the very least, to make their posts grammatically correct and to check their spelling. It's not that hard. I suggest that one could make use of some of the many spell check tools that are freely available on the net.

One of the best and most convenient such tools is The Google Tool Bar. It's great in that among some useful search tools, there is a "spell check" program that will certainly go a long way towards making everyone post more readable for everyone.

Give it a try.

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   
...I've got a problem even with most spell checks, I can screw a word up so bad they ether don't catch it or they can suggest a word for it ...or I spell it and its a real word just not the one I was going for.
Although I've been told id do well in spanish because its ...I for got the word but its when its spelled by phonix and thats how it spell if its not a sight word

also I'm not good at grammer... its not a strong point

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   
wut r u tukin bout?

meracuns kan speal reel goode

I thenk canaidiens r badd spealars tho

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I dunt no wot m tokking boat.
al i no iz dat witowt spel chek
i ken bairly reeed mi ohn ryting.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 12:12 AM
link   
BT -

Okay, I'll admit it. I keep a paperback copy of the Merriam-Webster dictionary on my desk for my late night ramblings when I can't remember how to spell some simple word or two.

*hangs head in shame*

I have problems with my hands so the "PREVIEW POST" button is my best friend, allowing me to look at my post before I submit it. I am surprised that I haven't worn that button out yet!

I struggle to make my posts grammatically correct, but my spelling is usually spot-on. I can usually handle the mis-spellings in a post, my main frustration being people not knowing or not caring how to use the QUOTE button or the EXTERNAL SOURCE button. I get lost at times trying to figure out what someone has quoted from another source and what is their own writing in a post.

Anyway, good topic.

JDub

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I have said it before in a thread dealing with a similar topic, to me it does'nt matter if the spelling is accurate.

Being able to communicate with someone perhaps half way around the world carries it's own little reward.

Most of the time, the meaning of the post is legible enough, and from the context, the correct spelling can be figured out by those persnickety members who need to see everything spelled correctly.

If one were to 'Ignore' all members who have misspelled, they would have noone to talk to, imho.

We have all done it.

Mechanic 32.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Typonese is the internet official language. I've been around since 1995 and I speak and read typonese fluently. As messed up as it sounds, I completely understood both of those typonese posts in this thread with no problems! LOL

Scary huh?

Pie

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
Typonese is the internet official language. I've been around since 1995 and I speak and read typonese fluently. As messed up as it sounds, I completely understood both of those typonese posts in this thread with no problems! LOL

hukd on foniks, eh?

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32
hukd on foniks, eh?

Running a multiline BBS for 8 years prior to 1995 I have seen it all. foniks, ebonics,l33t speak,phreak speak, hack speak. Its sometimes 1/2 the fun deciphering most of it.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Toolbar? Eye don need no steenken toolbar.

Also available for those who wish is www.spellcheck.net... which will check a body of text up to 20,000 characters.

( spelling
)

[edit on 17/4/06 by Mark Harris]

jra

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Aparenrlty one can siltl raed mesesd up wdors as lnog as the fsirt and lsat ltetres are in the rgiht pclae.

But yeah, a little spellchecking never hurts. I have to do it all the time.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Is due primarily to the Harry Potter Books coupled with the TV series Charmed.

These sources of intellectual irresponsibility have convinced a whole generation that to spell correctly, one only need wish ardently for a certain event to come to pass.

This wish, (supposedly), coupled with iambic pentameter or even some ridiculous rhyme of no meter at all, will supposedly acheive the implausible.

And of course Harry Potter tyros believe that all it takes is a bit of faux-latin.

None of the little beggars has even so much as heard of the Grimiore of Honorius or Black Pullet.

One of the kiddoes that trespass on my property learned a good lesson last week, when I happened to have my Dutchman's PowWow Book / "Long Lost Friend" in my back pocket.

He's still standing out there in the field behind the house, but the buzzards have picked most of the meat off him.

So yes, it's true that nobody under the age of 40 cares about proper spelling. But that's fine by me. Less danger of having one's own curses negated by some whipper-snapper show-off.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 03:48 AM
link   
I can deal with the spelling mistakes in posts that have obviously been posted in a hurry, or where it appears that the member has some kind of "keyboard malfunction" (except constant caps lock).

But what really makes my head
is Speach. SPEACH? SPEECH!!! Grr.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 06:35 PM
link   
fine i guess i'll install it but it doesnt mean I have to like it!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I use netscape. Is the google toolbar available for netscape?

Anyways, as long as the post is understandable, I don't see anything wrong with an occasional misspelled word or the occasional forgotten apostrophe.
This isn't high school, you all aren't my teacher, and I'm not writing an essay here.

Net speak and street talk bother me as well, but it's really annoying when some grammar nazi makes a big deal because I forgot to put an apostrophe in the word "dont".

top topics

join