It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans to be given tips on how to behave properly when traveling outside of country

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   
When i posted this article, i thought the idea that this GOVERNMENT THOUGHT we were innapropriate abroad was ironic. Who's calling the kettle black?

In no way i meant to imply that we Americans are vulgar, or lesser humans.

The thread took a turn towards America bashing, and that was not the purpose of this.

I guess this subject is more exciting. I just wanted to make that clear.

I happen to think we Americans are ok.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I've lived and traveled extensively abroad for the last 7 years, and 95% of the Americans I've met have been great people. In fact I have more American friends abroad than any other nationality. But without doubt the best travelers and the most easy-going folks are New Zealanders, Canadians, and, to my initial surprise, South Africans. (I'm an Aussie, btw)

There are some stereotypes that are seeded in truth though. For example, the Chinese cannot drive for fekin peanuts. 100,000+ people die a year on Mainland China roads, and the solitary road rule is, "ME First". And the same rule applies to lining up. There is no such thing as "wait your turn" in China, so the "line" at MacDonald's is simply a huge mob of people pushing and elbowing each other while pretending they don't notice anybody else's presence. It's weird. It's definitely not genetic though, because the Taiwanese, Singaporean Chinese and even Hong Kong Chinese drive and line up fine. Must be a communist thing...

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   
*laughs*

Our Gov'ment is gonna tell us how to act abroad??? Are You Kidding Me?

So, what? I gotta fire bomb the next South East Asian village I stroll through?

"When meeting ancient and dignified peoples in exotic and distant lands, the first thing to do is to kill them, then take everything they own, lastly scorch the Earth so they can Never get back on their feet again" is that it?

gimme a break... our gov'ment has a less than perfect track record when dealing with foreign countries... now they think they're gonna give US pointers? *laughs*

no way.

if anything, it's American Tourists traveling abroad that help clean up the mess our gov'ment makes by showin' folks that we're all just basically a buncha harmless bozos that just wanna have a good time and not hurt anybody.

party on
twj

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Just a tip for anyone planning to come to America, stay out of our cities. Most of the complaints I've heard from foreign tourists all seem to come from staying in NYC or Chicago or someplace. The nice folks are us simple Americans out in the country, we've actually got time for chit chat and learning about your culture.

And believe me, some parts of the US are so isolated from world culture that we're absolutely fascinated by what you have to say.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join