It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$6.00 a gallon, when?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
I paid $2.99 at the pump this afternoon here in NYC.

I suppose the reason for the price is so we can pay for things like this.

Great call DJ, the oil execs/business are exploiting everyone who buys oil because they have a nice ologopoly in which collusion is rampant between the big players.

There is no reason Oil Execs should be making the most when Americans are paying the most.
This I blame to the closeness of both parties to the oil business. It is too powerful and rich to attack head on.

To bad we can't send our special forces to track down these guys(oil execs)

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   
The reality is that big business or the 20% of the people that control the 80% of the money don't really care about the environment and even when Gas is $6.00 a gallon we will still drive, I currently own a 2006 Honda civic I get an average of about 42 miles to the gallon which is great for now but could be better, My car will run on E85 fuel just fine but it is not available where I live so that is out of the question. When will gas be $6.00 a gallon probably sooner rather than later however even when we get alternatives I wouldn't expect the price to go down.

Why? cause there is no global warming and alternative fuels are just not feasible at this time, yeah right!

geo

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
stil paying more and more but it is currently around 1.34 - 1.38 Euro one liter . I remember the times when I drove diesel 70 cent for a liter and that is currently also around 1.09 a liter in the Netherlands that is in my area and I live in a rural country side area and if I was to go to the interstate / highway there it will be 5 to 10 cents a liter more.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   
A while back when the gas prices were raising due to the Supposedly hurricane results even back then became obvious that it was just the oil barons playing with the nations gas spender to see how far it could go.

All they got for their lies was a slap by the congress.

I said that the oil barons will play around until they get what they want, a steady increase in gas until they reach a goal and that will become our gas prices for a while.

I predicted 5.00 a gallon, this time around they will have the gas again pass the 3.00 dollar mark and they will not stop on and off until they get 5.00 dollars and then that will be set for a few years without change.

Funny how these corporate people can do this and get away with it.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

Its $2.82 here cause we're special. This tourist trap will draw blood out of you every chance they get.

It is no better in Plymouth. Of course it is season. I read a report recently that stated gas will climb to 3.00 in MA and hold steady during the next few months. That is all based on NOT going to war in IRAN. If there is a conflict, I suspect it will be much higher than $3

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Several factors are affecting the price of Gas in the US. What most do not know is if you look at any gas company in the US, you have to think of it as 2 seperate companies. You have what is called the Upstream and Downstream in that industry. The Refineries and the stations are part of the downstream. And that part of the industry is loosing money as the pricing is based on the price per barrel of oil (About 75 gallons.) So if the price per barrel goes up, the cost is reflected at the pump. When it does go up, the downstream side of the business looses money. To off set the costs it raises the prices. The upstream side of the business makes money. When the price per barrell goes down, the downstream makes the money and the upstream looses money. There is a lot that goes into pricing, a big portion goes into the refining and the shipping costs. Just because a station sells a gallon of gas for 3 dollars a gallon, (Where I get my gas went there this morning at 5 am) means that the station overall makes about 6 cents on the gallon, the rest goes back into the cost of making the gas. In California, I do know that if gas raises too much more, what is going to happen is that the sales will decrease dramatically, as not a lot of people are going to want to drive. Even though I work for a gas station and make a somewhat decent wage I am more likely to start taking the bus to work, rather than drive as it is more economical for me to do such.
The real shame of it all is that if you go back to President Carters years in the White House, he was trying to ween the United States off of oil. I do remember the gas lines of the 70's. And he set a series of standards that would have, if the republicans had followed suit and pressed for it, would have pretty much by this time have given the US an edge in the energy market and the vehicles of today would be very fuel effecient. But Regan would not have any of it, and essentially with a stroke of a pen undid all of the work that Carter put into motion. President Cart put into motion for the conservation of Energy. Part of that was to put standards that would lower fuel consumption on OIL and finite fuel sources and increase the R&D of renewable sources of energy. Well I do believe that with in 2 years, you will not see 6 dollars a gallon for fuel, but rather it will be higher.
In the mean time, Bush will put pressure on Congress and the EPA to allow for the tapping of the Alaskan reserves. And that will probably be an ecological nightmare and diseaster. The other aspect and one that could cause more of a threat is the rationing of gas and fuel. After all what would happen if there was no more fuel for private consumption?

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Here in NC it varies between 2.65-2.79. Depends on where you are and if there are 3 gas stations at one corner or not. I wish there was a way to bring the prices down. As most of you know college students like myself arent the richest folks in the world. My wallets thin as it is, if it goes to 6 a gallon, I will be walking the 200 miles home.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
A while back when the gas prices were raising due to the Supposedly hurricane results even back then became obvious that it was just the oil barons playing with the nations gas spender to see how far it could go.

So you mean that there is an oil conspiracy going on here? Of course the United States President has connections with OPEC, so maybe he has something to do with the ever increasing gas and oil prices?

I predicted 5.00 a gallon, this time around they will have the gas again pass the 3.00 dollar mark and they will not stop on and off until they get 5.00 dollars and then that will be set for a few years without change.

So why do you think that is? I think its going to reach $5.00 a gallon in about two years, and then it will go down because of the Untied States urging OPEC to do something about the increasing oil prices. The problem is, though, once peak oil hits, OPEC can't stop it, the USA can't stop it, no country can stop it. Its ineviable.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Here in Chicago gas is around $2.80-$3.30 a gallon. Thats just about the highest its ever been.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I used to drive all over L.A.

Got sick of the traffic in So. Cal, so I got a bike.

50mpg, and lane sharing is legal in California so I can split the lane
and get where I want in a reasonable amount of time.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by 5aret
So the question is why does Europe have cars that save gas but the USA has the same cars that save less gas. So why?

Because the US has stricter emission regulations than the rest of the world. Restricting emissions lowers the gas milage.

If you lifted the emissions restriction we would have the same gas mileage as Europe, but many people would cry out about the impact on the environment.

[edit on 18-4-2006 by craig732]

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 04:09 AM
link   
here is an example why europe is doing better,

We do drive much less SUV and big motor cars that consumes a lot.
We think more about clean tech. We have biodiesel in Germany, and Brazil is doing very well with ethanol. Americans should invest in clean technology and follow the euopean example before the oil-market-clash.

I can help you ship diesel VW, the are left hand, and here in Belgium where I live we have excellent automobile prices. But are countrey should inverst , research even more in hydrogen, ethanol, and the cars or kar kits themselves. Only 1 countrey is allmost completely independent, and that is Brazil, we should felicit them, and it is at their advantage.

Maybe we'll have much less wars when the US steps over to such technologies, but the money interests in that countrey are corrupting everything.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I paid $2.95 today for 87 octane here in the DC area. I always thought that one reason why Europe paid so much for gas was because they had healthcare provided to them by their respective countries? Is this not the case? In America healthcare is not provided to us by the government. There has to be some reason why you are taxed so much more than us.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Bah, horse riding looks fun anyway, but I will miss my Nissan Skyline, she has treated me well, and I her......

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 07:50 AM
link   
??
$6.oo a gallon...when

probably by this 2006 Labor Day Holiday

how/why.... if just ONE refinery in the US goes off-line
there would be an immediate price spiral....UpWard!
-> tornado or windstorm/duststorm damage
-> sabotage from sleeper cells in support of Iran
-> unrestrained capitalism
(i.e.) the supposed non-existant corporate oil cartel needs to
fund the corp. executive class; pay, health, retirement perks, etc
-> the democrats gain control of congress in 2006 election cycle

enjoy, today will be remembered as being 'the good ole days'

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Has anyone ever seen Oil Storm? It was a documentary on Discovery channel a few months ago. It was pretty interesting, it showed the effects of what would happen if prices went to $8.00 a gallon and even higher.

5aret

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
The Refineries and the stations are part of the downstream. And that part of the industry is loosing money as the pricing is based on the price per barrel of oil (About 75 gallons.)

When it does go up, the downstream side of the business looses money. To off set the costs it raises the prices. The upstream side of the business makes money.

When the price per barrell goes down, the downstream makes the money and the upstream looses money.

you are off a bit

a bbl of oil is 42 gallons and actually when the price of oil rises the refining makes more b/c distilates are worth much more. when the price goes down refining makes less b/c distilates are worth less and the only money they make is when you go into the store to buy things other than gas.

there's one last secret on refining that you haven't figured out yet

now i've said to much and i won't give any more secrets so ssshhhhh

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
there's one last secret on refining that you haven't figured out yet

now i've said to much and i won't give any more secrets so ssshhhhh

What is up with this? What does this mean? Are you pretending to be in with something?

5aret

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
hmm... I just filled up my truck... Diesel @ $3.07 a gallon
My truck weighs about 7900 lbs.

I get usually beetween 9-13 Mpg.

:-D

So be thankful if you get 28-30 Mpg., it could be worse... Haha

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I have heard some gas-gussiling trucks in the United States get only 3-5 Miles per Gallon. Now wait until it reaches $8.00 a gallon and try to pay the gas for that!

5aret

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join