It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your idea of a soul is...?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Edit: Double post.

[edit on 19-4-2006 by Paul_Richard]

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   
The soul is............you.

Its what makes Amuk.....Amuk. Its the software to the bodys hard drive. Its the driver to the bodys car or Bike.

It has one foot in this world and one in the other, it lives on after the body dies and sometimes even gets another body, like a man buying a new car.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I'm starting to wonder if the water in our bodies is our soul, the ocean then is the collective consciousness that is alluded to by so many separate phemonena.

It's interesting to think of the soul in terms of water, because it's practically ubiquitous across the planet. There's water everywhere, even in the deserts. When men go to the desert to find God, they often find water as well...

Whether the water is simply symbolic, or a more literal manifestation of the divine, who knows?

I don't know if there's any validity to the notion, but it's interesting to ponder.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I believe a soul is something made up by humans to ease their fears of the inevitable.... Death.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   
CORF!

I think you are coming to an understanding. Since you are excepting the soul as breath of life and body. I can now help explain the spirit.

You understand the Soul is the embodiment of breath and Body.

We know the body is made from dust what in the world is the breath of life? Compair the following verses.

Job 27:3 All the while my breath is in me, and the spirit of God is in my nostrils;

Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

The word spirit is Greek for pneuma means air or breath.

πνεῦμα
pneuma
pnyoo'-mah
From G4154; a current of air, that is, breath (blast) or a breeze; by analogy or figuratively a spirit, that is, (human) the rational soul, (by implication) vital principle, mental disposition, etc., or (superhuman) an angel, daemon, or (divine) God, Christ’s spirit, the Holy spirit: - ghost, life, spirit (-ual, -ually), mind.

Compare with:

ψυχή
psuchē
psoo-khay'
From G5594; breath, that is, (by implication) spirit, abstractly or concretely (the animal sentient principle only; thus distinguished on the one hand from G4151, which is the rational and immortal soul; and on the other from G2222, which is mere vitality, even of plants: these terms thus exactly correspond respectively to the Hebrew [H5315], [H7307] and [H2416]: - heart (+ -ily), life, mind, soul, + us, + you.

You know the word Pneumonia sickness found in the lungs (Breath); sickness of the breath.

Ok now Knowing what we do of Soul and Spirit lets see what happens at death? Death is creation in reverse.

Ecc 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Jam 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also

Psa 115:17 The dead praise not the LORD, neither any that go down into silence.

Psa 146:4 His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

Ecc 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

Ecc 9:6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

When you die you are just that Dead! waiting for Christ return.

Psa 6:3-5 My soul is also sore vexed: but thou, O LORD, how long? Return, O LORD, deliver my soul: oh save me for thy mercies' sake. For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?

Your breath or spirit the very life force returns with God, but that is not "you". "You" are in the grave that is you with out breath the other half that makes you a soul.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
I'm starting to wonder if the water in our bodies is our soul, the ocean then is the collective consciousness that is alluded to by so many separate phemonena.

Thats a verry good way of putting it, but water completely replaces itself in your body twice per month i think?

I think the soul is like Amuk said "the software to the harddrive" but i also think that it cannot be destroyed or killed

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   
The soul of a living creature is what makes us who we are. Many people have said animals don't have souls but I believe they do. Souls give us the power of love which of course, can be turned to hate. Ours souls were created by the Father and breathed into us at conception. A soul doesn't die at the body's physical death but lives on til the final judgement. A soul also allows us to make free choice as to whether we will do that which is right. Free choice being one of the greatest gifts given. We are bound together mind, body and soul all three acting together. I believe the soul is what gives us the ability to make sacrifices for others indeed it gives us the desire to help one another. I would agree that it is the software that drives the hardware. It is also one of the hardest to explain.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Actually, I've never considered what a soul might be. Until now.

I think the body is a shell. What you refer to as a "soul" I've always fancied to be a semi contained energy. Isn't it odd that I never really "named" it as anything.

I imagine that human consciousness is what keeps me healthy physically and thus sustains the energy to continue on. I think this energy can be nurtured and taught, morals, ideals and general knowledge...it all plays a hand in keeping the body healthy.

Reminds me of a parasite to a host sort of, but not so negative mind you.

Whe the body is ill - so is the energy and visa versa.

When the body finally fails - this wise energy either disipates into the atmosphere or if possible enters another body at the moment of conception.

I'm not particularily religious despite being raised Roman Catholic, and while familiar with the term "soul" in the religious sense. This was never enough for me so when I grew up and chose to be a "flake" and opt for more alternative forms of spirituality I shed the more stoic ideals for ones that better fit my beliefs.

A good question

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by gallopinghordes
Many people have said animals don't have souls but I believe they do.

I think that they may have souls. My akita died almost a year ago. She was a very gentle soul. I have mild sleep apnea and she used to wake me whenever I would stop breathing. I can't imagine a heaven without her there. She was truley one of God's special creatures.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lecter
I believe a soul is something made up by humans to ease their fears of the inevitable.... Death.

I dont think people really fear death, the feeling/pain/unknown i can see. most humans(imo) are looking to see what the hell is going on around them. Who or what is or what will be in the end. To think that we are stuck in a "black dream" .... What do you call the "bight light" that some poeple see upon death? Tunnels, I think are just a stepping stone to the "next" life one has after a near-death trip(could the light be the energy/soul one producing to heal the new begaining?).
If one can go out of there body during life why cant we do it when the body is at "rest/dark-dream/death". Are there more sighting now adays because the energy/soul has no home to rest in? (cremation thing).

What are the laws of energy? Im not to sure what (need to do my homework on this, unless someone knows off hand) The second law ...IF i remember(which there is a good chace im wrong) states that once put into motion will stay in motion untill something helps stop it. Rough way of putting it i know. However how does the heart start and how does it stop(with out a blocking of flow that is). Something or Someone gave life. God?
(edit: ) The mother? The father? or just both 50/50? Well if you put "god" to the numbers....which seems that he started the motion of energy and still is moving, flowing with the breathe of love and respect to the host.

[edit on 22-4-2006 by CORF]

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by justgeneric
Actually, I've never considered what a soul might be. Until now.

I think the body is a shell. What you refer to as a "soul" I've always fancied to be a semi contained energy. Isn't it odd that I never really "named" it as anything.

I imagine that human consciousness is what keeps me healthy physically and thus sustains the energy to continue on. I think this energy can be nurtured and taught, morals, ideals and general knowledge...it all plays a hand in keeping the body healthy.

Reminds me of a parasite to a host sort of, but not so negative mind you.

Whe the body is ill - so is the energy and visa versa.

When the body finally fails - this wise energy either disipates into the atmosphere or if possible enters another body at the moment of conception.

I'm not particularily religious despite being raised Roman Catholic, and while familiar with the term "soul" in the religious sense. This was never enough for me so when I grew up and chose to be a "flake" and opt for more alternative forms of spirituality I shed the more stoic ideals for ones that better fit my beliefs.

A good question

just another question that seems to keep me up at night. I seem to ask more questions then anything. I get lost with in it all at times.
Nothing wrong with the last part of your post, I think everyone should find any form to help them with there beliefs. It will help one with the fear of death and become one with them selfs. (whatever your fear of death is)
I've been a "flake" more then i care to say! And i wounldnt change that!!
we seek/seach for truth, as a new friend told me. Just seems to get lost in the "idea of truth".

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
First I'll address the title. What is my idea of a soul? Well - there are 3 parts to all of us. Physical body (this part can and will die), an energy that I can't explain in total, but it is the "ME" in me. It never dies. And the soul. (I want to say that I'm not sure if the spirit is the energy I spoke of or the soul - but I believe it is the energy.)
I am a Christian and I base my beliefs on 2 things. The Bible and my experiences. I believe the body dies, is burried, and will sleep in wait to be raised. The soul is immediately back with God. The spirit - energy - ??? part. This is the part I feel here after a person is gone. I think this is the part that can be 'stuck here' or refuse to leave here... what we call a ghost. It is also the part that can be healed and help to heal the physical body when doing energy work. It is also the part that lets the mother of a new baby know exactly what that baby needs at first sign of distress. (I could go on and on... but you get the jist

Ok - on to your post!

So if you injure your pride or your self-respect the body pays for it? So if it affects the body as a whole, is that payback, justice or nothing?

It's not payback. lol Let me give an example that almost everybody will agree with. Neck pain & headaches. Those of you who get these from stress cannot deny that the non-physical body effects the physical body. Same with heartburn. Or corinary problems. The physical body can be injured or hurt or disease due to lack of care or maintinance or stupidity... but it can also be worked on from a non physical aspect. Just as I can releive a friends pain or symptoms without even being near them working with his/her energy - he or she is constantly working with the energy.

Do you pray? Does that sound weird that someone talks to them self’s and may even hear the answer that is given to them? Do you think that is why we find ourselves alone most of the time during trials and tribulations?

I pray ALL the time. Do I talk to myself? lol... there are times I'm really ticked off and acting childish - I'll walk away from my SO mumbling. That mumble is not loud enough to be heard by him, so yeah - I guess you could call taht talking to myself. (But, it makes me feel better even if it does tick him off LOL!) And what is strange about talking to someone and getting an answer... you mean is it strange because other people don't see or hear the person your talking to? (Might I remind you, just as with a phone converstation?)
Would you ask a question as you lay down to sleep if you knew you'd get the answer in your dream? Of course you would! Would you tell people? Personaly, no, I wouldn't tell someone other than my mother (she can do this too), or you guys here on-line. I wouldn't tell the nieghbors or my Doctor! Why? Not because it's strange. It's no stranger than writing yourself a note and not reading it. How often do you make out a list and not read it? Most of the time, just writing the list is an aid to your memory.

(Forgive that my reply isn't as thoughtful sounding as I'd like it to be. I have 2 kids running around with chocolate cake and ALOT of iceing... we are talking high energy sticky!)

Do you do things with your mind that even you might have to stand back in amazement?

That's exactly why I found this site. My mother wouldn't talk to me about it, and Great Grandmother and the women before her are all dead now. LOL

I'd like to try something with you - if your up to it. I think you'd be open and receptive enough to benefit from and even physicaly feel some energy work. If you don't already work with the energy - I'd like to give you a little help sometime. It is my hope that you feel comfortable with this. I'd love for you to feel something tangable, maybe I could also sent to a freind or somene close to you so that you could compare notes with a trusted person.
The experience gives one faith. Faith is the key. Energy is the begining, almost all of the middle, and the end.

Actauly... I should get a break here in work pretty soon. Maybe I could start a new thread just for energy work. Each person I send to can post what they felt before, during and after. Most people have the same things to report to me.... many times my mom or friends or SO will call and say, "Did you do that thing to me? Thanks!" lol

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 06:36 PM
link   
People have a body, soul and spirit. Aperson's body is quite obvious. The souls of a person is their mind, will, intellect and emotions. Their spirit is that part that can relate with God.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Heaven is achieved through deed, not creed. -- Emanuel Swedenborg

Heaven can't be earned by deed.... it's by grace. Our deeds should reflect our thankfulness though.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngelaLadyS

Heaven is achieved through deed, not creed. -- Emanuel Swedenborg

Heaven can't be earned by deed.... it's by grace. Our deeds should reflect our thankfulness though.

IMHO...

To be more precise than Emanuel Swedenborg was in his appraisal:

Heaven is achieved by our ability to love genuinely and deeply - which corresponds to our ability to Radiate Spiritual White Light when not in the flesh and directly united with The Light Of The God Force - and by our application of The Golden Rule. Doing good works is how we learn to improve upon our ability to love genuinely and deeply, which also corresponds to our ability to be compassionate

The concept of grace is not one I accept because I have found no evidence of a Judeo-Christian god (outside of Group Entities) that can bestow the ability to Ascend to a heavenly plane after death. Granted, there are many Group Entities who put on a show for their followers but even they cannot Ascend beyond the Mid Realms of Spirit and into the Higher Realms where the discarnate Saints (who seek to become a Light onto themselves) dwell.

The Light Of The God Force, which is the energy of Spirit, is nonliving, infinite, and ruled by Universal Law which cannot be changed one iota. A soul's ability to Ascend into The Light after death and embrace a heavenly plane is not determined by a purported deity but by its spiritual evolution. No god or God has the power to manifest "grace" to make another highly evolved; spirituality must be earned

I see that you are a Christian so I guess we will just have to 'agree to disagree' on this whole grace and heaven issue.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

It's interesting to think of the soul in terms of water, because it's practically ubiquitous across the planet. There's water everywhere, even in the deserts. When men go to the desert to find God, they often find water as well...

i watched a movie today What the Bleep Do We Know? and it has a scene depicting water and how different emotions can change the molecular structure. a buddhist monk blessing it formed some sort of multiple sided symmetrical objects, the words thank you and love also changed water's shape. since water consists of 80-90% of our body...that means our thoughts directly influence how our body acts. Our body will react positively or negatively depending on our thoughts...interesting stuff.

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
So I ask you all does any of this help you with the soul? Now take what Mr. lear has said, and "sleeper" to the table . Does this/that help?

The soul is you and only you! Dont let the mass fool you. We are one with happiness and forgivness. One with all that is and will be in this life and the next. To stop one, one must be with god, God will not stop the life energy, just teach one to be one with god. Your soul is the thickest energy you have here until you live again!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join