It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Black Sabbath the best Metal band ever?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Im just wondering what a lot of you out there think on this subject. I think they are and here are my reasons. They were the first to originate the Hard Rock/Metal genre(1969). To this day Tony Iommi is a very original sounding player witch not many guitarists have the ability of nailing his tone or his exact playing style. Sure there are guys faster but look how many great riff's he wrote compared too anyone else.
And also this band has toured in one form or another for 35 years. And always to sell out shows. And lastly any of the new metal players to old metal players when asked their greatest Metal guitar influence/band was and most said Iommi/Sabbath. Thoughts anyone?

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by VType
Im just wondering what a lot of you out there think on this subject. I think they are and here are my reasons. They were the first to originate the Hard Rock/Metal genre(1969). To this day Tony Iommi is a very original sounding player witch not many guitarists have the ability of nailing his tone or his exact playing style. Sure there are guys faster but look how many great riff's he wrote compared too anyone else.
And also this band has toured in one form or another for 35 years. And always to sell out shows. And lastly any of the new metal players to old metal players when asked their greatest Metal guitar influence/band was and most said Iommi/Sabbath. Thoughts anyone?

Thats one of those bands that have slipped by me and I never bought an Album of theirs. I remember my brother having some 8 track tapes of Black Sabbath. I had to look through Amazon to try and identify some of their music. I recognized paranoid, Iron man and Changes. I'm not quite sure about changes they don't play much of it on the demo.

At any rate they seem to be into the occult as one of their Album covers is a Tarot Card. And in the song war pigs the lyrics go- generals standing in the mountains like witches at black masses. I noticed a title to a song called- Rat Salad. Yukk!

I suppose they could be one of the greatest bands, they still get plenty of airplay in this area.

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I don't know if they are the best. And many bands, when coming up, only really had Sabbath to look up to, so that IMO is why many have them as their biggest influence. But they are definately one of the top 3.

Also, as for Riffs... I think there's only one comparison... Metallica. Both James hetfield and Kirk Hammet have created bueatiful riffs that are just, well... addicting.

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TgSoe
At any rate they seem to be into the occult as one of their Album covers is a Tarot Card. And in the song war pigs the lyrics go- generals standing in the mountains like witches at black masses. I noticed a title to a song called- Rat Salad. Yukk!

I suggest you read the lyrics completely... you'll see it's quite interesting, considering what is being discussed here on ATS regularly..

Same goes for other lyrics of them. They are shining a light on the world.. on a dark part of the world.. It's really a shame they ended up in the corner with all the real occult music. I have to say my respect for these people has grown when I studied them with an unprejudiced mind.

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkHelmet
Also, as for Riffs... I think there's only one comparison... Metallica. Both James hetfield and Kirk Hammet have created bueatiful riffs that are just, well... addicting.

For sure. I've never seen Sabbath but I still consider them to be one of the 'classic' metal bands. I have seen Metallica a couple of times and they were an exceptional live band. I'm not particularly into metal and I certainly am no thrash junkie, but Metallica stood out from the crowd IMO.

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I'm actually more into the classic rock, like ZZ Top and such, but Metallica is the closest I get to Metal. There's just something about their music that I love. Especially the S&M version of the Call of Ktulu and One.

I've never seen them in concert, but I plan to next year when they tour.

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I got to agree that "One" is an exceptional track. Personally, I lost a lot of my interest in them after the Black album. I didn't much go for their reinvention as quasi-crusty's with shorter hair and piercings. My wife was still big into them though and assures me that they continue to put on a brilliant live show. I'm sure if you do get chance to go to a gig, you will not be disappointed.....

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   
talent wise I'd have to say no. the werent that technical of a band. influence wise I'd say absolutely. they started it all. interesting to note that Hetfield and Ulrich of Metallica readily admit that without Sabbath there wouldnt be a Metallica. thats a statement that carries alot of weight.

sickboy, ditto the post black album sentiments. the Bob Rock era was absolutely a pitiful sell out! the good news may be in the fact that the next release wont be a Bob Rock production. Rick Ruben(sp?) is rumored to be doing the next album. maybe it will be thier triumphant return. as far as the live shows it isnt even close since black. Hammet has gotten pretty sloppy, Ulrich has gotten very sloppy & the vocals leave tons to be desired.

[edit on 16-4-2006 by metalmessiah]

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Sabbath were definately one of the first metal bands, but i wouldnt say the first. Some of Iron Butterfly earliest was pretty brutal for the time. Blue Cheer though also pyschedelic were also up there. Zep, Yardbirds etc etc. No one band can claim to defining the genre imo. I'm 40 and still proud to be a headbanger, too many sub genres for me though nowadays, death, black, nu, old school, hardcore and so on. If it's hard, heavy and fast, to me it's METAL.

Cheers
M4S

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 11:30 PM
link   
If you are talking Sabbath WITH Ozzie....then

Take it from a old :bash::bnghd:

who
them in concert

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   
tbh i never really liked Black Sabbath's songs. I liked the other 70's hard rock/metal bands more. Its really too hard to say which metal band is the best.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Wow forgot about this thread. I guess best HM band is all in the opinion we hold. And to be fair there are many great bands past and present. For me being a 40 's metal guitarist I am partial to Iommi and Sabbath in general. however i have great fondness for near all the other band above mentioned. Blue Cheer wow what a blast they were. I have some albums and one of them is their debut one.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I like loads of metal. What about Led Zeppelin, only got one mention here!

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I like AC/DC and deep purple more than led zepplin and sabbath

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I think that its something of a toss up in those days between Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin. Its difficult to say who is the 'best' band. Black Sabbath seems to have come up with the genre independantly, but Led Zeppelin innovated a lot on their own too.

I guess the best way is to have a doctor measure just how much whiplash people used to get at their respective concerts, the more whiplash and neck-injury, the more they rock.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Great metal band. The best ever? No.

They have made a some classic albums with amazing songs (mainly the 5 first albums + Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules) aswell as some underrated gems like Dehumanizer and Cross Purposes. That being said, they've also made their share of terrible albums. Technical Ecstacy, Never Say Die! and Forbidden are three albums I wish I never bought.

I saw Sabbath last summer and was sad to see the once great band had turned into a cabaret act.

They're probably one of the the most influential metal bands ever, but as far as I'm concerned, not the best.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Sabbath was the first concert I ever went to. Couldn't hear without ringing in my ears for three full days!

They pretty much originated the heavy doom & gloom version of metal. Props always to Sabbath!

But, Zep are the guys I'd always put my money on. They had, used and stole so much, that I cant help but put them at the top of my all time metal list.
But it is REALLY close!

[edit on 12-6-2006 by triptrippington]

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Tony Iommi couldn't carry Jimmy Page's gig bag. I'll give Sabbath props for originality in doing what they did when they did it, but Tony Iommi and Deep Purple's Ritchie Blackmore are two of the most overrated rock guitarists ever. Ham-fisted at best, IMO.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Oh man, Zeppelin being my all-time personal favorite, I can't say Sabbath is #1. So I'll go for #2, only in regard to the 'Ozzy years.'

I'm not that stoked on Iommi, but I really think Ozzy is both misunderstood and under-estimated, talent-wise. Really, that is applicable to the whole band. Ozzy's got a voice you either hate or love, but if you listen with a critical ear, that dude can really sing! And their lyrics I think are deep and full of deep insight that is not at all about what the general public believes...

I love Symptom of the Universe and Spiral Architect--Snowblind is another favorite, and the words to War Pigs never seem to lose their pertinence (sad to say.)

Did anyone see this year's induction show for the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame? I never watch TV hardly at all, but I happened to hear they were inducted this year (about #@*$ing time !!!) and then I got lucky and somehow caught the show on VH1.

They didn't perform--Metallica did the honors, and I think they did Sabbath justice as well as themselves. The Sex Pistols declined their invite by sending a somewhat nasty, but hilarious, letter which was read on stage... It was totally in character, though, IMO.

But #1 for me has got to be Zep. Something about that combination was total magic! It was fitting they decided to dissolve not soon after they found Bonzo dead.

I did get to see Plant and Page live when they were touring for their 'Unledded' album, around 1995 I think it was--which was done with the help of the local symphonies, similar to the performance of Metallica's S & M--although Zep toured and I think Metallica just did one show, with SF Symphony. That was truly a dream come true for me--I have listened to those guys almost all of my life!!!

The really talented metal bands, combining with symphonic orchestration is AWESOME. You might not think it would be, but it is indescribable. Totally

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkHelmet
There's just something about their music that I love. Especially the S&M version of the Call of Ktulu and One.

Huh!

And what about 'No Leaf Clover?'

I never get tired of listening to that song--it seems to be a rather deep subject they cover in the lyrics and it really moves me every time!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join