It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

gasoline

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Roads with metal cylinders embedded into the center of each lane. electric cars will slide onto the cylinders. a groove on the underside of the car will align with the cylinder. magnetism. controlled polarity. polarity can be adjusted to set speeds for vehicles. true auto-pilot. these systems will only be highways to start. a touch screen in the car will be used to set destination exit once the vehicle is "attached". once on the exit, manual driving will again take place.
the way of the future?
*less traffic
*less accidents
*faster traveling
what cons would such a system produce?
regards.
MH

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Who would pay for the cost of building, and the juice to power the cars?

How close would the cars be to each other.
The reason I ask, is intersections. If a lot of cars need to pass through an intersection, but some want to turn right, and some left, some straight..
How do you manage traffic?

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Almost sounds to me like you are describing MagLev Trains. Could be wrong, and probably am. Anyway, here is a link to Wiki page on MagLevs.

As for cons, one would be the sheer scale of the project. I can only image how much it would cost to integrate the system in every major highway.

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 04:33 AM
link   
the system would only be implemented on 1 lane of a highway. the conversion would indeed take years. vehicle alignment and spacing would be controlled within the software of the system in its entirety.

electric cars are coming. the technology is and has been there. our govt has its mitts so deep in the oil industry that they will no allow for an easy conversion. however...it is inevitable.

so far:
1 con....co$t.

thats when the hippy conscience comes into play. let the earth loving people get there paws on this. they will see to it that our taxes our used for something other than rpgs and hummers.

SAFE TRAVELING!! oh yea.

regards.
MH

[edit on 16-4-2006 by Mass_hysteria]

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Not to kill your dream, but, between the debt, the "war on terrorism", and the current escalation in Iran, I don't see this happening anytime soon. Interesting idea none-the-less. Would be cool to watch develop and be put to use. It would cost quite a bit initially, but I bet it would pay for itself over time between the lack of fuel and accidents.

new topics

top topics

join