It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how do i get rid of this spyware

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 03:29 AM
link   
hi have had this spyware sherriff ad take over my desktop the last couple of days, was able to get rid of the program but not able to get stupid warning off my desktop background. im no IT wizz so any help in laymans terms would be much appreciated.

btw whoever makes this program ought to be hung, drawn and quartered imo..

XL5

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I use Ad-aware and "hijack this". "Hijack this" is a tool and not a fix, I personally would say that you should use the scan funtion and then copy/paste that to an anti-spyware msg board and have them tell you what to fix. That is of course if ad-aware doesn't fix it. These two should be free, last I checked they were.

They will never get rid of the spammers, the other spyware removal program comp.s won't make money that way.

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 03:49 AM
link   
The best solution is to get a Macintosh

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 04:19 AM
link   
thanks xl5 i will give that a go.

Cheers
M4S

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 04:42 AM
link   
For a free service I would recommend SpyBot S&D. If you are currently lacking an Anti-Virus, and are willing to shell out a few dollars check out Eset's NOD32. It picks up any malicious file. I wrote a batch file some time ago which was directed to delete the C: drive, and NOD32 even picked that up (which a few other softwares hadn't).

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
The best solution is to get a Macintosh

Would love to if I could afford one lol.....

anyway.....check your registry as well, use regedit and find and the name of the software. Usually it writes itself into the registry. if you find a recuring entry use msconfig and disable task scheduler and then wipe your registry again. This, along with wiping it out of the directory on your hard drive should stop it dead in its tracks. and use ad-aware as well.

I have also seen spyware that will write itself to your boot sector. if your using Windows 9x use FDISK /mbr. If your using Windows 2k/XP use 'fixmbr'
and there is another command but I cant remember it of the top of my head.

hope this helps

hey, and if you are rich and in the market for a new computer, Mac's are pretty nice. Their OS is stored in eprom memory so it isnt tampered with as much.

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 07:20 AM
link   
nah, not rich (yet). have deleted entries from registry using regedit. so far so good. Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated..

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I have posted alot of information on this thread --

www.belowtopsecret.com...

Have a read.

top topics

join