It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Good Triumph Over Evil ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I was reading this christian web once, and an article on that site spoke of the phrase "good triumphs over evil." The author lamented on how many people, but especially christians had accepted this view and may have even attributed it to something to do with being a witchcraft of magic based phrase. The author said this view is fundamentally incorrect, and said that instead it's God triumphs over evil and not good. That only God can triumph was the view, so I was wondering what the opinion of this was.

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I think eventually Good does triumph over Evil.
Kind of like a Kharma thing, what you give out comes back to you, mind you it could take some time though.
I've never heard of it being a Witchcraft phrase though, what website did you read this from?

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoQuest
The author said this view is fundamentally incorrect, and said that instead it's God triumphs over evil and not good. That only God can triumph was the view

Well God=Good so how does he triumph over Himself?

God will always triumph over evil,evil is left for us to be tested with,until God chooses to end evil.

So evil can only triumph in our personal lives if we allow it to,and Christ is the Way for us not allow evil to have victory over us.

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I’ve always thought that evil will triumph in the short run. While good people are playing by the rules, evil has an advantage in that it is willing to fight dirty—to cheat, to lie, to use deception and violence and to not be bound by societies morality.

What stops this is when decent people won’t put up with it.

That’s why, in my opinion, it’s so important to have governments and institutions that are accountable to the people. Laws should be just and the morality of fairness and honesty should be taught in the education system. There must be a culture of decency. Hopefully, decent people will then vastly outnumber the criminal.

If the everyday people become powerless or apathetic, evil will not be held in check.

There is a famous quote, that says in effect, “All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good people to do nothing.”

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I believe good will win as long as they have the nukes, superior weaponry in every way imaginable. Not to mention a good plan and surveilance.

In every day dealing with the people you work with and interact with it pays to be good , honest and upright in every thing you do. Do that and you'll still get the screws put to you regularly but hopefully you will come out with a winning hand. Like the Bible says a soft reply turns away wrath. Try that sometime it works or atleast helps.

I think on a higher up type of situation any means necessary to get the job done wins. Evil is anything that oppresses you. In the hood it could be your neighbor. For leaders of a country it could be their neighboring country. Both could be evil and good in their own way yet lashing out at the other to keep from being opressed, to keep from losing power. I think possibly the one with the best technology has always won and it has little to do with being evil or good.

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 12:04 AM
link   
What I'm saying is this. Do the good things we do really have the affect of of defeating evil everywhere and anywhere all over the globe overall, or is it God. Meaning should we ever conceptualize good, away from God. An atheist will say something like you don't have to be religious to do good. So how do you view that if your religious. Or what if your a deist.

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I don't think it is a matter of 'good' vs 'evil.' God isn't fighting a battle with evil--there's no need. He creates evil--it's under His control.

External source: KJV, Public Domain
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
(~Isaiah 45:7)

As mortals, the battle is ours--but it's basically been won because we've been given the ultimate weapon: love. It may not be over yet, but it is not just victory we are to gain--education is the primary goal.

The ultimate weapon is something out of our hands--it is in our reach as far as a power we can tap into--but it is far beyond our ability to sabotage or undermine.

It's truth. Truth is what stands after all the rest has fallen away.

For we can do nothing against the truth, but for the truth.
(~2 Corinthians 13:8)

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeoQuest
What I'm saying is this. Do the good things we do really have the affect of of defeating evil everywhere and anywhere all over the globe overall, or is it God. Meaning should we ever conceptualize good, away from God. An atheist will say something like you don't have to be religious to do good. So how do you view that if your religious. Or what if your a deist.

If everyone singularly does good things, then yes it will have a roll on effect and just maybe defeat evil all over the globe. How long that would take is anyone's guess.

I don't personally think you have to be religious to be good. Good works are Good works afterall.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 08:27 AM
link   
This is something that has been floating around in my head a while. If we follow Jesus's directions exactly, doing as he says, why can't we be like his disciples? Why can't we heal people, drive away demons etc.? It doesn't seem to happen anymore. Well, Mother Teresa comes to mind.

Is it possible to be come a "Super-hero" by following the Bible (what Christians would consider "good")? Perhaps there are already these people all around, who are just not known, because they would find it distasteful to be known and
ed.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
(~Isaiah 45:7)

My bible, a NRSV, translates Isaiah 45:7 differently:
"I form light and create darkness, I make weal and create woe; I the Lord do all these things."

Woe is very different from evil, so this puts a different spin on it. Woe is more an emotion - dictionary says def is "Deep distress or misery, as from grief; wretchedness. See Synonyms at regret. Misfortune; calamity: economic and political woes. interj. Used to express sorrow or dismay."

While I can see God as setting woefulness (is that a word?) in us, I don't see how He can put evil upon us. I see how He gives us free will, so that there are those among us through the ages and into the present who chose to do evil acts.

As a Christian, I was always taught that God ultimately triumphs over evil. I must say that I believe that anything good comes from God; that God is good ...so I would agree with the statment that good triumphs over evil.

BUT I see how it COULD be interpreted as fundamentally incorrect... if one doesn't attribute the goodness to God - that is to say that if one doesn't see the goodness as glorifying God, then the statement itself from that context could be evil because it takes the focus away from God.

new topics

top topics

join