It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico to boycott American Businesses

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
Zod

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   

"Nothing gringo," warns the rallying cry of Mexican activists calling for a boycott of all U.S. businesses south of the border on May 1.

The campaign, aimed at pressuring Congress to legalize undocumented migrants, was timed to coincide with "The Great American Boycott," in which activists are urging migrants in the United States to skip work and avoid spending money to demonstrate their importance to the U.S. economy.

Mexican unions, political and community groups, newspaper columnists and even some Mexican government offices have joined the call for a parallel boycott of U.S. businesses in Mexico. For some it's a way to express anti-U.S. sentiment, while others see it as part of a cross-border, Mexican-power lobby.

Source

The article is of decent size and you should read it all the way through.

It is interesting the AP would quote them as saying 'gringo' since it is a racist term used against whites. Looks like things are heating up, on May 1st there is a boycott on American businesses as well as Mexicans skipping work here in America. Won't be long before the race riots break out do to racial tension. Things are hot and ready to pop.

[edit on 15-4-2006 by Zod]

[Mod Edit: External Source Tags - Jak]

[edit on 15/4/06 by JAK]

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Who cares? They can do whatever they want, it is their country you know. Give it a week, their cravings will kick in and they will be back to their usual habbits.

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 11:18 PM
link   
$100 hit on our economy max...

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 03:12 AM
link   
See how they go about getting what they want? instead of trying to change peoples minds, they prefer to try to hurt you.

and how the hell are we gringos when they are on the WRONG side of the damn border!!

Criminalise and deport them, dont give in to their demands!

we shall see how they benefit our economy, if we barely notice a change than that proves they are mostly leaches....

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   
It may hurt some big companies, but most of America's companies are small service/ small family businesses/ franchiesses, so it will only hurt mexicans most likely. The "illegals" are lucky the Senate is giving them that reform to begin with. Their scared of a "controversy/scandel".

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zod

It is interesting the AP would quote them as saying 'gringo' since it is a racist term used against whites.

That is not true, guess again... Gringo is simply another way of referring to someone of white descent. It is not racist or derogatory. It roots from the word “griego” which means greek. Do you even know Spanish?

[edit on 17-4-2006 by Marz]

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Now if we could just get the illegals to boycott our country!!! These illegals thought they were going to hurt us when they walked out the last time, but what they don't realize is that they account for less than one half of one percent of the GDP.

[edit on 17-4-2006 by GrndLkNatv]

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Marz I don't care what you say it means if one of them calls me a gringo they're gonna get punched in the face

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kramthenothing
Marz I don't care what you say it means if one of them calls me a gringo they're gonna get punched in the face

Remember, they do hit back!

Now, if they called you a "Pinche Gringo" or "Guerro Culero"; you would be intitled to your feelings. But the fact that you just don't care; well, that says a lot. Need I say more...

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Yeah I'm racist for saying I wouldn't let a mexican call me a gingo yeah your right

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Yeah I'm racist for saying I wouldn't let a mexican call me a gingo yeah your right

No your being ignorant for not learning the true meaning of the word, even though it was pointed out to you. I "never" called you racist, so that comment of yours' is null and void. Yeah, punching someone in the face do to your misunderstanding of a word is the way to go.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   
The world used by people who want to label someone and stop the conversation. The world used by those who don't have a valid argument, the word that has become cliche... If I don't agree with you, I must be a racist....

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   

No your being ignorant for not learning the true meaning of the word, even though it was pointed out to you. I "never" called you racist, so that comment of yours' is null and void. Yeah, punching someone in the face do to your misunderstanding of a word is the way to go.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   
The only company that will be affected will be Walmart. Thankyou for small blessings!

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrndLkNatv
The world used by people who want to label someone and stop the conversation. The world used by those who don't have a valid argument, the word that has become cliche... If I don't agree with you, I must be a racist....

Nope... You have your own opinion that I respect, but do not agree with.

Quote:

I might not agree with your opinion, but I'll die fighting for you to have it.
-Unknown

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   
So I'm stupid if I don't let a mexican call me a gringo because you think it shouldn't affend me well it does beacuse it's calling me a word that I am not I am not a gringo, honky or a cracker all those words mean someone from white descent why does that make it alright?

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Lets not focus on whether 'gringo' is insulting. If the people being called gringo find it insulting......then its insulting. Lots of words that are slurs now were never intended as slurs in the past.

Won't be long before the race riots break out do to racial tension.

SO long as the majority ethnicity makes it into a racial issue, sure, it might just happen.

Hispanic immigrants assimilate fairly nicely into the US. There aren't any problems or riots like they have with morrocans in France or with turks in Germany or Lebanese in Australia.

I hear everyone complaining about hispanics, that they are jerks for carrying the flag of thier parent country, that they don't "love" america, etc. These kinds of comments, especially when they are so strongly emphazised on the news, might just create a situation similar to that in Europe and Australia. That would be a tragedy.

Also, the article you are talking about, its about some people calling for a boycott, the mexican government isn't going to do this.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
You guys relaize that now any and all name calling has to stop on the boards. Look:www.abovetopsecret.com...

Zod

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Main Entry: grin·go
Pronunciation: 'gri[ng]-(")gO
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural gringos
Etymology: Spanish, alteration of griego Greek, stranger, from Latin Graecus Greek
often disparaging : a foreigner in Spain or Latin America especially when of English or American origin; broadly : a non-Hispanic person

from m-w.com

It's a racist term man. Stop trying to whitewash the word.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zod

It's a racist term man. Stop trying to whitewash the word.

Too late, white washing began when the term became racial. The ethnic sensitivity in this time and age is overboard.

According to Father Charles E. Ronan, in the Spanish historian, (in) Terrenos y Pando's Diccionario, compiled in the late 1700s, the term is described in the following fashion:
"Gringo in Malaga, [is] what they call foreigners who [have] a certain kind of accent which prevents their speaking Spanish with ease and spontaneity; in Madrid the case is the same, and for some reason, especially with respect to the Irish." Apparently in use throughout Ibero-America by the beginning of the 19th century, the true etymological roots of "gringo" may perhaps be found in the Spanish "griego", or Greek. All that can be said, then, is that the term probably originally applied to funny-looking itinerant speakers of an exceptionally unintelligible language....

The Spanish (including myself) could take "Gallego" as being a racial remark, but it's not. It simply refers to people of Spanish descent. I don't get insulted because I know better.

So I'm stupid if I don't let a mexican call me a gringo because you think it shouldn't affend me well it does beacuse it's calling me a word that I am not I am not a gringo, honky or a cracker all those words mean someone from white descent why does that make it alright?

Apples or oranges... which is it? Honky and Cracker in reference to people was meant derogatory from the start. Gringo is a different story.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join