It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question. Should illegal aliens be allowed to cash in on big winning lottery?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 08:05 AM
link   
We might as well try to figure this out. Faux was at it again this morning about this very subject.

If they place a dollar bet and win 300 million, should they have a right to it?

I'm not sure, but i bet some of you are.

Go ahead

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 08:58 AM
link   
If the rules don't mention that only naturalized citizens of the US are eligible to purchase or win, then I guess they are entitled.

Car Leases and Credit Card companies all have that in their eligibility statements.

Pie

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I believe it" called gambling.

If you put up a bet and draw the winner, you deserve the WINNINGS, regardless of who or what you are.

How would Americans feel if they gambled in a foreign country and were denied the winnings because they were from the USA?

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I'd want my money ASAP.

The reason i brought this up is because evidently to some, its an issue.

I'd rip their hearts out if i didnt get the $$$$$$$

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   
USA Mega Powerball

Can non-US citizens play? What if a non-US citizen wins?

Yes, non-US citizens can legally play, and non-US citizens are eligible to win any prize offered in the game.

If a non-US citizen wins, they would claim their prize in the same manner that a US citizen would, but the taxes withheld would be different. For example, federal withholding for non-US citizens is a flat 30%. Also, individual states may have different tax structures for non-US citizens than they do for US citizens. Depending on which country the person is a legal resident of, there also may be tax treaties between the US and that other country which could be helpful in offsetting whatever the US tax liabilities are.

In short, non-US citizens can play and win Powerball. If a non-US citizen wins a large prize, they will be responsible for some amount of tax, which in the end will probably be an amount similar to what a US citizen would pay, but there are so many possible variations with international tax codes that you'll need to consult with a local tax attorney if you need to know a precise amount of tax liability.

Seems anyone can play, whether or not they're commiting a crime at the time.

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Thank you for that article.

Like i said, i brought it up because the FAUX people were complaining this was an injustice...stirring the cauldron again....

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 10:20 AM
link   
If Faux is stirring this cauldron, I have to ask why.

Do they begrudge the govt's cut of the taxes? Or do they begrudge illegals using the gaming system?

Or is it merely to keep the focus on the benefits (?) an illegal can derive from being here and actually having the spare buck or two to play now and then?

new topics

top topics

join