It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DEA Agent Sues Over Internet Video

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
old thread i know but i figured people might wanna know how the case ended up www.thesmokinggun.com...

A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit brought by the DEA agent who shot himself in the leg during a gun safety demonstration and later became a punch line when video of the incident surfaced online and was widely broadcast on TV. Agent Lee Paige, 50, contended that the leak of the video--for which he blamed DEA officials--amounted to a violation of his privacy rights. However, in a December 29 order, Judge Jack Shanstrom rejected that claim and dismissed Paige’s U.S. District Court complaint in its entirety. Paige, who worked undercover, claimed that the video’s distribution resulted in him becoming the “target of jokes, derision, ridicule, and disparaging comments” everywhere he went.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I think the fool is receiving his due.
EVERY GUN IS LOADED until you know it's not.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by RalagaNarHallas
old thread i know but i figured people might wanna know how the case ended up www.thesmokinggun.com...

A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit brought by the DEA agent who shot himself in the leg during a gun safety demonstration and later became a punch line when video of the incident surfaced online and was widely broadcast on TV. Agent Lee Paige, 50, contended that the leak of the video--for which he blamed DEA officials--amounted to a violation of his privacy rights. However, in a December 29 order, Judge Jack Shanstrom rejected that claim and dismissed Paige’s U.S. District Court complaint in its entirety. Paige, who worked undercover, claimed that the video’s distribution resulted in him becoming the “target of jokes, derision, ridicule, and disparaging comments” everywhere he went.

“I am the only one in the room professional enough, that I know of, to carry this Glock 40.” It was at that point, of course, that Paige shot himself in the leg.

I just cannot stop laughing.

What a doofus.

edit on 28-1-2013 by whatsecret because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by whatsecret

yeah kinda dumb if your an undercover cop to appear in any video as a cop...would be like a person in the witnesprotection program going on tv and showing their new id off

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
2. WHY didn't have have the safety on? ANYONE who has ever handled weapons knows that you leave the safety on unless you're planning on shooting the weapon. If this guy is a 14 year veteran, and had carried firearms that long, then he sure as hell should have known that!

Are you at all familiar with the Glock .40?

This particular gun has no safety which is one feature that has made it very popular amoung all areas of Law Enforcement.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
...telling students he was the only one in the room professional enough to handle a gun.

Gun Control propagandist... sounds like karma at work here to me.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

Then that's even worse. He should have known that it didn't have a safety, and taken precautions to prevent an accidental discharge.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

You won't get any argument from me on that one, however accidents do happen and that's all this incident was. An accident. Was it preventable? Absolutely. Most accidents are preventable.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal

Originally posted by Zaphod58
2. WHY didn't have have the safety on? ANYONE who has ever handled weapons knows that you leave the safety on unless you're planning on shooting the weapon. If this guy is a 14 year veteran, and had carried firearms that long, then he sure as hell should have known that!

Are you at all familiar with the Glock .40?

This particular gun has no safety which is one feature that has made it very popular amoung all areas of Law Enforcement.

Actually to be perfectly correct it does have a safety in the form of a small "trigger within a trigger". Not that I, or anyone that knows weapons, would ever really consider that a safety.

us.glock.com...

But alas....the DEA agent is still a complete dumba$$.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
All I can think after seeing the video is "these are the guys they are gonna leave with weapons". Well to be frank I'm gonna take my chances protecting myself on my own, guy would need instructions to use a coloring book if he's the only one trained in the room.

Honestly LMAO
over this take a good look at the finest, and best trained now multiply this dufus by a few thousand and you have your knights in shining armor at the other end of a 911 call. So I state again that i'd trust my own aim and ability over ever making that call. FACT

SaneThinking

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas

Good. I'm glad the suit was dismissed.

How little dignity must you have to file suit against a person for simply showing a real event as it took place?

The camera didnt make him out to be a fool. He made himself out to be a fool and the camera just caught it.

Filing suit makes him a little bitch of a fool.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Icarus Rising

Uh it's a glock the safety is in the trigger as in the trigger is forked with another small lever in the middle so you have to be pressing the trigger for it to go off
edit on 1/29/2013 by geocom because: Typo

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Icarus Rising

This is how accident's happen... Even someone who is supposedly highly trained makes mistakes.... I think that's the point, he made a mistake... Lucky the bullet didn't ricochette~ I'll take his foot over missguided bullet any day, as he was the demonstrator and he was the one responsible.

So he get's right's to sue over this? Who would even represent this joke? This saddens me~ And I laugh all the same

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I cannot believe this man had a loaded gun in a classroom full of children. As far as I'm concerned, there is NO excuse for that, I don't care who he is. He was bragging about how he was the only one in the room "professional enough" to carry his weapon... *BANG* That just makes me sick.

No only should he NOT be awarded anthing from the DEA, he should not be allowed to carry a gun professionally. His lack of safety with firearms around children disqualifies him in my opinion.

He can blame other people all he wants for making a mockery of him, but that is his fault entirely.

BH, I usually never agree with you when it comes to firearms, but here, I agree 100%. What if the round bounced off the ground and hit a child?
There was no reason for him to have had his finger ANYWHERE near the trigger.
Sorry, but my 10 year old son is more professional carrying his airsoft sidearm then this so called 'professional'.

ETA: just so you all can laugh at him some more, may I present the infamous video:

edit on 1/29/2013 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by sulaw

This is how accident's happen... Even someone who is supposedly highly trained makes mistakes.... I think that's the point, he made a mistake... Lucky the bullet didn't ricochette~ I'll take his foot over missguided bullet any day, as he was the demonstrator and he was the one responsible.

He made like "fo-tay" mistakes.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
He only has himself to blame and is lucky that he only shot himself. Most responsible gun owners know not to touch the trigger unless they are about to shoot. I am amazed that this guy is still trusted to carry a weapon.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I'll give the guy some credit for trying not to let the incident interfere with his presentation, but he has to accept that he only had himself to blame for making such a cock up while being recorded on film. If he knew the footage was in the hands of a non DEA-related individual, he had to expect it was going to be aired at some point.
edit on 29-1-2013 by IvanAstikov because: inappropriate typo

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe
Actually to be perfectly correct it does have a safety in the form of a small "trigger within a trigger". Not that I, or anyone that knows weapons, would ever really consider that a safety.

us.glock.com...

But alas....the DEA agent is still a complete dumba$$.

eh you got me there. Yes it does have that smaller trigger on the trigger, but as you said very well- I don't consider it to be a safety by any means.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join