It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian government muzzles environmental scientists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   
The New government of Canada refused to allow a scientist to give a speech about his FICTIONAL novel about global warming. This coming at the same time as the government slashed environmental projects aimed at slowing global warming.

OTTAWA (CP) - A scientist with Environment Canada was ordered not to launch his global warming-themed novel Thursday at the same time the Conservative government was quietly axing a number of Kyoto programs.

The day began with what was supposed to be the low-key launch of an aptly titled novel, Hotter than Hell.

Publisher Elizabeth Margaris said that Mark Tushingham, whose day job is as an Environment Canada scientist, was ordered not to appear at the National Press Club to give a speech discussing his science fiction story about global warming in the not-too-distant future.

"He got a directive from the department, cautioning him not to come to this meeting today," said Margaris of DreamCatcher Publishers.

"So I guess we're being stifled. This is incredible, I've never heard of such a thing," she said.

cnews.canoe.ca...

Sad day when a scientist can't even talk about a fictional novel about global warming because it doesn't fall in line with the governments position on the matter.

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 12:41 PM
link   
What exactly is the Canadian governments position on Global Warming anyhow?
All the while, the Sierras, in Nevada, topped a 35-year-old record for snowfall this past March, Russia had the coldest winter in 50 years...

Your article indicates that the Canadian government, which signed the Kyoto Accords while talking crap about how the US had not, is quietly axing 15 Kyoto Accord programs.

That, to me, is the real news here, not allegations of censorship.

seekerof

[edit on 14-4-2006 by Seekerof]

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Yesterday I was watching a press conference and Harper was asked questions about this and he said was unaware of this story.

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

Your article indicates that the Canadian government, which signed the Kyoto Accords while talking crap about how the US had not, is quietly axing 15 Kyoto Accord programs.

seekerof

[edit on 14-4-2006 by Seekerof]

It's all a matter of who is in government. The Liberal government was very pro-Kyoto and (to a degree) anti-US. The Conservatives ran on an anti-Kyoto platform, and if they were in a majority situation would be considering pulling out entirely.

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   
ya see the be quiet agenda on the rise about global warming.a real threat which all would like to not think about lol.it was idea in the book that u.s was at war with canada over water and resources which is not to far fetched at all.infact i think canada may want a more military present at all its borders in the future and stop all peace keeping missions.not that canada is not a peaceful country.it is that we will not be caught of guard as like before 1812 etc etc.....

[edit on 14-4-2006 by flukemol]

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Seekerof wrote: "What exactly is the Canadian governments position on Global Warming anyhow?
All the while, the Sierras, in Nevada, topped a 35-year-old record for snowfall this past March, Russia had the coldest winter in 50 years...

That, to me, is the real news here, not allegations of censorship. "

They do plenty of their own polluting but pass the blame to others. They touted the Kyoto Accord and quietly ignored their own agreement. Meanwhile they have their own industrial manufacturing plants (such as coal-fired power plants, pulp and paper plants, smelting plants and cement plants)
exhaust particles from trucks and automobiles.

Yet they insist that US pollution somehow goes upwind and is the culprit of all their pollution woes. Any steps to reduce pollution they want others to do, not themselves. They're as bad as we are, perhaps worse.
I've been told the US ranks 7th in world pollution. On searching I learn Canada is 6th in pollution and with the prevailing northwest winds, most of that pollution blows into the US and then the Canadians blame us for the rest of the pollution they can't get rid of. Somehow, our pollution goes against the winds into Canada from the US.

[edit on 14-4-2006 by Alikospah]

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

New government, different priorities. The ones 'talking crap', as you so eloquently put it, are no longer in power.

The Conservatives are not interested in Kyoto for the same reason the US is not, it hurts industry and they feel they can do better with a homemade solution.

Everything our new government is doing is being done quietly. MP's in the governing party, for the first time in Canadian history, can no longer speak to the press directly. Everything must go through the Prime Ministers Office for approval. They are trying to behave themselves in hopes of gaining a majority government the next time around.

Adding example of our new government:

Harper's chief of staff, Ian Brodie, has given colleagues in ministers' offices stark warnings about varying sanctions for cabinet members who either embarrass or contradict the government in public, sources say.

cnews.canoe.ca...

Expect us to do all sorts of things that are the exact opposite of what we used to do.

[edit on 14-4-2006 by Duzey]

[edit on 14-4-2006 by Duzey]

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 09:30 PM
link   
KYOTO, yeah, whatever. Do some research.(Maurice Strong). Oh and btw, a scientist, from Environment Canada, should not be using our funds(taxpayers, money:@@
to futher his own agenda, no matter how much you think or agree with him. Sorry it's not all about you, and your own little world.

Good for Harper for scrapping something BS that will do nothing in the long run except bring down the economy of North America.

Oh my, where have you been??????

top topics

join