It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone ever heard of Carl Sagan?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I have been reading these posts and viewing the sites posted by all. I came across a very interesting interview with Carl Sagan.

I can't recall anyone quoting Carl Sagan. I don't know what world you folks live in but, you may want to take a look at this interview.

NOVA Online/Kidnapped by UFOs/Carl Sagan

(Mod edit: to add link)
NOVA Online/Kidnapped by UFOs/Carl Sagan

[edit on 2006/4/13 by Hellmutt]

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Of course, he's the one who brought astro-knowledge to the common folks, however I dont consider him a extraordinary astronomer because he could explain the technobabble to the common man. I consider him more of a personality.

I met him after he gave a lecture to a local university many, many years ago. Interesting guy.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I haven't seen much on ATS about Carl Sagan, but he was a huge name in astronomy and cosmology, and I would be very surprised if he hadn't spoken about UFOs and aliens at some point or other, since it was directly related to the kind of work he did. He's written several books on science, and was widely respected in his field. (If I recall correctly, he died a few years ago)

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   
To jritzmann -

My main reason for posting his name is twofold. Firstly, he is the reason i became interested in science and was able to pass my science classes.

Secondly, is in most of the posts, people often quote web sites as "proof" of something not many post(ers) quote some one from the "mainstream" science arena. I just wanted to find out if anybody ever heard of the same scientist I new of.

thank you.

I met him after he gave a lecture to a local university many, many years ago. Interesting guy.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
To DragonsDemesne

Thanks for respondin. Here are a couple of good interviews i with him. Very interesting reading.

www.bigear.org...

www.pbs.org...

I hope you enjoy.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Tommy,

I grew up watching his documentaries, and he is one of the reasons I became a scientist and got a PhD. There are Billions and Billions of stars out there, ya know?

On the other hand, I've come to know how much the ego drives 'mainstream' science, just as it drives the fringe.

Sadly, I have seen fixed data, faked graphs, and buried false reports in published papers. I've seen people steal the ideas of lesser members of a team and get away with it.

Carl Sagan discussed this himself in the story he and his wife produced for 'Contact'.

What you've got to understand is that the more succesful a scientist, the more likely that scientist is to be ego driven, and possbly narcissistic.
Being honest, deep, hard working, and complete are but side-qualities that can help a scientist, but aren't necessary to succeed.

As a scientist out in the 'mainstream', I must warn you, focus on the merits of individual scientific efforts. Ignore the difference between 'maintstream' and 'fringe'. Focus on the evidence, analysis, and conclusions. There is just as much crazy bull# and lies in the 'mainstream' as out here.

DOn't even get me started on 'peer review'. Very few peer reviewers actually read the papers they are assigned. They usually skim them and then draw irrelevant conclusions.

Quite frankly ,the sheer volume of papers being submitted to conferences and journals these days makes effective peer review almost impossible. But no academics will come out and publically attack the institutions that put food on their table,

p.s. The crazy people who think rocks on mars are pictures of aliens should not misconstrue my post to be some kind of paranoid statement about 'conspiracy'.

[edit on 13-4-2006 by Ectoterrestrial]

[edit on 13-4-2006 by Ectoterrestrial]

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Sagan was an avid pot smoker. He thought it enhanced his intellectual capacity and creativity. It looks like it worked very well on him. What a guy!

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 01:13 AM
link   
im just a blue collar sort of guy who has always had a passion for science fiction, it was carl sagan who managed to dumb it down enough for me to understand the real science behind alot of the stuff i was reading about.

Imo a great guy who possibly never got the recognition i felt he deserved for bringing alot of interesting science out into the mainstream.

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I never met the guy but saw him on the tv show Nova quite often and fondly remember his tendency to talk about billions and billions of this or that such as stars in the galaxy or whatever he was talking about.

en.wikipedia.org...

The first rover mission to Mars contained a chip with all the members of The Planetary Society (a community supported member group advocating space exploration).

www.planetary.org...

Carl Sagan was the co-founder and the First President of the group. Anyway the first rover mission was renamed The Carl Sagan Memorial. I imagine maybe 200 years from now there might be a museum on Mars where you could go view this memorial.

The Planetary Society started the project to search for ET signals on home computers. I believe it's called Seti@home or just search or click here if interested.
www.seti.org...

Yes, I remember him. I'm still a member of The Planetary Society and agree with the desire to explore space. Apparently there are many who believe all of our money public and private would be better spent on ordinary things here such as schools, etc. etc. I believe money spent on research and exploration is money well spent.

Since I believe Carl Sagan would have supported this dream of building a spacecraft that could eventually reach the stars, I'll post a link here for The Planetary Society on their plans to hopefully get enough support to rebuild a solar sail.
www.planetary.org...

I have heard of no other civilian group doing so much to support space exploration and actually building spacecraft as the group Carl Sagan started.

[edit on 14-4-2006 by orionthehunter]

[edit on 14-4-2006 by orionthehunter]

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Of course I know Carl Sagan. But others have covered what I could have said about him. All I can add is that your post reminded me -- again -- about the age difference that abound here at ATS. I'm 52 years old and I can safely say that almost everyone in my age group have heard of Carl Sagan.

Carl Sagan became a household name after appearing on a series of documentaries called "Cosmos" on P.B.S.-- America's Public Broadcasting System. It was an excellent show which brought the complexities of the universe to the general public. Carl Sagan was a talented public speaker who could explain difficult scientific concepts in a manner that "everyman" could understand.

But I would have to say that Carl was, indeed, a very talented astronomer and astrophysicist. He was extremely influential in designing many of the early NASA space exploration satellites and was instrumental in including a golden plaque or record on the Voyager satellite which described man, our planet and our culture. The Voyager satellite became the first man-made object to leave our solar system. The purpose of the plaque was as a message to any intelligent life form that might stumble upon it during it's voyage into the depths of space. Incidentally, Carl later regretted adding the plaque to the satellite suggesting that it might not have been prudent to let "others" know of earth's location.

Incidentally, you probably have heard of Carl Sagan through his books, one of which was made into the film "Contact", starring Jodi Foster.

[edit on 4/14/2006 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
To benevolent tyrant,

I don't know if you were answering my post but, I am 42, i only mentioned His name because of his standing in the scientific community. I did not know, he was going to be critized by some here.

I grew up watching his interviews, reading his books and he is the reason i became intested in science.

That's all.

Thank you.

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 07:35 AM
link   
The problem with folks like Sagan and Sitchin is that, as Acharya S pointed out, these people seem to be the only ones who manage to sell massive amounts of books. There are literally hundreds of thousands of very legitimate, fasicnating and scholarly works out there, on just about any topic you could name, and for some reason, they simply don't get the airplay. This I view as the invisible ceiling we all live under and through which we may never venture without an invitation from the rulers of this world.

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Oops, Tommy 1701, I guess I did not catch the full gist of your post. It must have been late/early and I was tired. I thought that you had just discovered Carl Sagan. Forgive me for my error

As far as criticising Carl Sagan, quite the contrary. I found that Carl's role was a vital one in science. Too often, science, astronomy, and space are overlooked by the general public and it takes someone to re-focus the general public view upon these areas. But science often is a bit too heady for the average Joe, it would seem. Carl had the unique ability to make science appealing to the masses. He was an energetic figure who could worked tirelessly to make science, especially space exploration and it's importance within "reach" of the general public.

While others might find reason to criticise Carl, I certainly wouldn't. His work for NASA and in the role of "educator" were important and, perhaps, unappreciated but his work fine work hasn't been lost on me.

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
His work for NASA and in the role of "educator" were important and, perhaps, unappreciated but his work fine work hasn't been lost on me.

Unappreciated? Are you kidding me? The guy was a millionaire. He had many books read by millions, including his peers. He had his own TV show. He made "Contact" the movie. He took part in many now famous NASA activities. I dare you to name one person on this entire site, who has had as much fame and fortune as Carl Sagan.

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Great guy, he's my dad's hero. I think he deservers more recognition.

I grew up watching "cosmos" in my science classes, and I am so glad that they are airing new episodes on the science channel, I love that show.

[edit on 14-4-2006 by edwardteach]

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
His work for NASA and in the role of "educator" were important and, perhaps, unappreciated but his work fine work hasn't been lost on me.

Unappreciated? Are you kidding me? The guy was a millionaire. He had many books read by millions, including his peers. He had his own TV show. He made "Contact" the movie. He took part in many now famous NASA activities. I dare you to name one person on this entire site, who has had as much fame and fortune as Carl Sagan.

I'm saying, if your read my statement clearly, that Carl was, indeed appreciated. But, his role as an educator, as a communicator of scientific concepts might have been overshadowed by his work as a novelist or as a "television" personality. That's all I was saying. Note the part in my statement -- that you quoted -- that his "fine work was not lost on me".

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I like Cosmos, too. I'm just commenting on why anyone would think he was under appreciated. That any of us should be appreciated even a quarter as much as he was, for anything he did, would be nothing short of a miracle, methinks.

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Carl Sagan was quite simply a brilliant man... Hugely entertaining... And was much admired for the many things he contributed in these multi-faceted areas, as is somewhat captured in the accolades in this thread he so richly deserved.

I personally love/d Carl Sagan. The sparkle in his eye when he delivered with that unique enunciation his catch phrase 'billions and billions of stars'. The guy had personality up the wazoo, basically charming everyone he came into contact with... Include me in that group.

Anybody who ever saw any of his shows was captivated by the entire package this guy brought...

Unfortunately, there is an 'unfortunately'...

He was an agent of disinformation... In fact, sadly due to his enormous popularity, maybe the poster child of disinformation. He used his prominence to spread the 'official' viewpoint and to accumulate personal wealth.

He seemed the head cheerleader for the Earth is the center of the ENTIRE universe. We suspect there's 'life' out there.... But we have no proof.

You would think the notion that there's billions and billions of stars would have been some kind of logical oxymoron with the notion that there actually is intelligent life on Earth. A question some might say is open to debate...

He was a key player in a lot of the ridiculous notions current in play by the space exploration 'establishment'.

The MOST ridiculous, of course, being SETI, a monument to human stupidity if there ever was one...

So the bottom line for me, is that a man with his incredible skillset, should have been able to push the rock a considerable distance in our Sisyphusian efforts to accumulate true knowledge.

What a missed opportunity and what a waste.

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   
golemina,

has it crossed your mind that it was his wasteful choices that played a major role in his success? today, you might not be able to elaborate on what he did that you liked, had he not done what you didn't like, to get where he was. you know, just exactly who is in control? we are lead to believe that the fundamentalist christians are in control of this planet, but really, i think it must be at least in part, a bunch of people who are secretly atheists or how else would only people like sagan gain so much notoriety, respect and fame? do you have to be an atheist to have a twinkle in your eye or a charming personality? the guy had to be a hard core atheist to get the traction he needed, to gain the position he had.

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Sagan was an MJ-12 (Majestic Foundation) member who handled a lot of the "face work" for the organization in their attempts to see if the general public was ready for disclosure of alien interaction with Earth. His job was essentially to educate people about the enormity of space and real possibility of life on other planets, while at the same time pooh-poohing UFO sightings.

The general consensus reached by MF, gained from Sagan's work, was that the public had not been (and is still not) ready for disclosure, because so much of the public still held very strong religious and mystical beliefs and would likely view any alien disclosure too much within that context. Sagan's last book before he died, "The Demon Haunted World," essentially tells people how stupid they are for ignoring and deriding science, while still believing in a lot of mythological and paranormal nonsense.

The Majestic Foundation filled Sagan's empty chair with Andrew Chaikin in 1998.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join