It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Damn! Something has taken over my IE Hompage.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2003 @ 03:14 PM
link   
My home page has on IE6 keeps resetting itself and I have not been able to fix it.

Here is what I have tried:
1. Reset the home page back to ATS.
2. Deleted Cookies - History - Cache files.
3. Regedit - searched for "homepage" and reset the two entries that I found back to www.abovetopsecret.com...
4. Repaired IE through the Add/Remove programs menu in the control panel.
5. Ran Spy-Bot Search and Destroy
6. Used Norton System Doctor to repair system problems.
7. Ran Norton Anti-virus.
8. Searched *.bat, *.ini and *.dat for any reference to the intruding search engine
9. Searched the startup menu for anything that might be resetting the page.

I have run out of ideas and it makes me angry everytime I see that stupid search engine.

Does anyone know what I need to do to fix this problem?

posted on Oct, 14 2003 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Holy hell, you've really gone through alot of angles there... Have you tried reinstalling IE?

posted on Oct, 14 2003 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Hrm, it sounds like some software on your machine, that doesnt show up as spy-ware is resetting the homepage. Two questions, First: what is the homepage being reset to? and Second: what was the last piece of software you installed before this started happening?

posted on Oct, 14 2003 @ 03:25 PM
link   
There are quite a few websites that can do this (change your homepage) (including that spear game link, so watch out for that one...one of it's pop-ups did that to me here on the work computer)...

posted on Oct, 14 2003 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I haven't installed any software in the last year. I am at work right now and don't remember the adress exactly.
It opens up to something and immediately re-routes to the search engine, something like: www.crappysearchengine...%20%20%20%20%20.about.blank

I have not reinstalled IE, I have been afraid of losing the other configuration items that I do want.

[Edited on 14-10-2003 by AZLS1]

posted on Oct, 14 2003 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Only thing I can think of you didn't try yet...as it sounds like you tried everything else....

posted on Oct, 14 2003 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by AZLS1
I haven't installed any software in the last year. I am at work right now and don't remember the adress exactly.
It opens up to something and immediately re-routes to the search engine, something like: www.crappysearchengine...%20%20%20%20%20.about.blank

I have not reinstalled IE, I have been afraid of losing the other configuration items that I do want.

Hey, yeah, I've been having that same problem too. Resets my home page to www.globe-finder.com... Some stupid ass bull# site. The only thing I can think of that would be causing this is spy-ware.

I would use a ad-aware program, but I don't like how the program works because it finds cookies and sees them as ads. So when I erase everything it finds, I have to log in to all of the sites I use, which is a pain in the ass.

[Edited on 10-14-2003 by 10DeadInside10]

posted on Oct, 14 2003 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by 10DeadInside10

Originally posted by AZLS1

Hey, yeah, I've been having that same problem too. Resets my home page to www.globe-finder.com... Some stupid ass bull# site. The only thing I can think of that would be causing this is spy-ware.

I would use a ad-aware program, but I don't like how the program works because it finds cookies and sees them as ads. So when I erase everything it finds, I have to log in to all of the sites I use, which is a pain in the ass.

[Edited on 10-14-2003 by 10DeadInside10]

THAT'S IT - "Globe-Finder" is where it ends up.

posted on Oct, 14 2003 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I just got done cleaning TONS of spyware off a friends PC, I can't believe how much was there.

I use ad aware (www.lavasoft.nu) - think they have a 'free' version you can download. Also, make sure you update it before running so it's aware of new spyware.

in regedit look for: HKEY_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run

that's the registery equivilent of the 'start up' menu/folder. Hard to say what to look for to delete - use caution since it's the registry and all.

posted on Oct, 14 2003 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Check your firewall and see what programs are accessing the web when this happens...

This is one of the symptoms I was having, and I strongly believe, based on volume of data being sent back out of my machine by applications that I never OKed, that it was a keystroke logger of some type.

posted on Oct, 14 2003 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider
Check your firewall and see what programs are accessing the web when this happens...

This is one of the symptoms I was having, and I strongly believe, based on volume of data being sent back out of my machine by applications that I never OKed, that it was a keystroke logger of some type.

That is a really worrisome thought.

posted on Oct, 15 2003 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Global finder sucks c0ck....... go to this site and get cws shredder near the bottom ...sorted
This hijack happens thru a loop hole in active-x or sumat posing as an official microsoft download that why ppl get duped into installing it

www.spywareinfo.com...

cwshredder.zip

[Edited on 15-10-2003 by Teflon]

posted on Oct, 15 2003 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Teflon
Global finder sucks c0ck....... go to this site and get cws shredder near the bottom ...sorted
This hijack happens thru a loop hole in active-x or sumat posing as an official microsoft download that why ppl get duped into installing it

www.spywareinfo.com...

cwshredder.zip

[Edited on 15-10-2003 by Teflon]

Teflon is correct. I found the web shredder last night before I read this reply. It worked when Ad-Aware and Spybot, etc... failed.

cwshredder

posted on Oct, 15 2003 @ 03:31 PM
link   
You might want to check for viruses also, they have been known to screw with IE.

top topics

join