It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only idiots believe in UFOs

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Just a response to those saying people who believe that aliens are visiting us are idiots.

I fully recognize that a good lot of reported UFOs are misidentified, explanable things and there are some that could most probably be unkown, natural phenomena such as plasma. However, some credible reports that remain unsolved are of unknown craft that defy our current understanding of physics. That leaves us with two choices for the unidentified craft, alien (either piloted or remote), or secret projects. It was never a stretch in my mind that an explanation of these craft could be an advanced race of beings checking us out and now that we are learning about quantum physics and how many planets are out there and how many of those could support life, how can it be idiotic to think we are being visited? It may turn out that the ETH is wrong and these craft are in fact secret projects but that by far does not make the ETH idiotic.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
"Believing in UFOs and aliens" is much simplified and tricky in the same time.
As the famous Russian pilot and ufologist Marina Popovich has been said:
"I don’t believe in UFOs, I saw them three times." Everything is concerning
the frames of the reality in which we want to exist. When the UFOs become
significant in their presence and visibly connected with our destiny everyone
will recognize them.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by realitydiscovered
"Believing in UFOs and aliens" is much simplified and tricky in the same time.
As the famous Russian pilot and ufologist Marina Popovich has been said:
"I don’t believe in UFOs, I saw them three times."

Hi realitydiscovered,

I think most people interested in issues relating to UFO reports have a problem with questions about whether they "believe in UFOs".

Believers tend to object to the word "believe", since they view the question as one of views formed on the basis of the evidence rather than merely faith.

Skeptics tend to object to the word "UFOs", since they think that it is obvious that some people see things in the sky that the witness cannot explain (but think this is due to misperception or misidentification, rather than due to the "UFO" being an alien spaceship).

You can get a pretty good idea as to whether someone is a believer or a skeptic by seeing which part of the question they object to.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

However, some credible reports that remain unsolved are of unknown craft that defy our current understanding of physics.

i think your too quick to make assumptions. First you assume the reports are accurate, then you assume the object is a "craft". There is no good evidence for this. I don't count eye witness testimony as good evidence.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
At first this may seem nonsense at best and off topic at worst.

I would like to ask each to try this excersise.

Without making any physical contact, using only your best vocabulary; discribe a banana to a blind person.

This will almost prove to be an excersise in futility.

Once you have mastered this, have a friend tell another blind person to never believe anything you say because you lie about everything.

Now go to this person and once again discribe a banana.

I have said all this to give those who have never seen something which they can not explain an idea of how hard it is to tell others how big an idiot you are.

Having, on two separate occasions, seen two very different "things which I can't explain", I know of which I speak. Sorry I did not see the occupants.

To tell me there are no such things as "flying saucers", because you have not seen one, is one thing; but, to tell me I can't believe what I see with my own eyes is something else.
edit on 25-3-2011 by hdutton because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

O K Tell me about the mother which I "know" you don't have because I have never met her.

This is how many who have seen things feel.

It never makes any sense to anyone except the witness.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Geez.....so if I see something flying and I cant identify it then that makes me an "idiot?"
Only people that are that closed minded to greater possibilities are.......idiots. Sorry.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
UFO just means unidentified flying object and those have been spotted. Now those could be optical illusions, common aircraft, space aliens, earthlings from the future, secret projects, an highly advanced society on earth that managed to keep a low profile or whatever. If we would know what ufos are they would be ifos.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
G day everyone, I'm just introducing myself round here, You can all call me Mr Idiot!

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

We had a situation where video footage despaired after being turned over to (an investigator) while at our sight in IN, thankfully Debbie Kauble herself had taken her own dig recorder out and filmed our Geiger counter readings, the spinning compass and trace evidence along with the Star Team investigators and the Mufon group involved. (UN-known to them)

Why am I airing this because, the evidence, photos, trace evidence and proof is there but, there are groups, still today with other agendas, and not Gov, but in conduction with, will do their best to suppress it, as they tried in our case. To the point of speaking with the Angela Joiner Report to halt our interview, just an hour prior to air, the topic was to be the 2009 evidence, calls to our house were made, intimidating calls to others, and Anglia comments on it on the air, as she herself had to speak to (? Off the air).

Sure the crack pots are free to air what they will, it’s an easy way to turn this phenomenon in cheap entertainment, and why not let the crack pots debunk this for themselves? It’s an easy way to keep those on the fence about it skeptics as well as maybe having some fun? @ Like selling cute colorful coffee table books with surfing aliens… The real meat of it will never make the press,

but then it just might as we have some disks. one can be seen here.. www.ghosttheory.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I've not read every reply here, and that is probably to my advantage.

Nevertheless, the idea the UFO somehow equates to extra-terrestrial is something bandied around by skeptics to solidify their position.

And that only idiots believe in UFOs? Well, mr. OP, I guess you include every astronomer, military employee, scientist, pilot, air traffic controller, etc.. who has ever seen a UFO?

Or perhaps you think that every UFO means that we're being invaded by little green men, and have forgotten that UFO means Unidentified Flying Object. Not "OMG aliens".

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngelInterceptor
I've not read every reply here, and that is probably to my advantage.

And that only idiots believe in UFOs? Well, mr. OP, I guess you include every astronomer, military employee, scientist, pilot, air traffic controller, etc.. who has ever seen a UFO?

I infer from your comments that not only have you "not read every reply here", you haven't actually read the OP - have you?

Quite a few people that have commented in this thread appear to have only read the title of the thread and not even caught the gist of the relatively short opening post.

Just to clarify (again), my first email in this thread (which I started about 5 years ago) indicated that I was (and continue to be) simply looking for any pithy quotes from specific individuals which alleged "only idiots believe in UFOs" (or words to that effect).

Many people have complained about ridicule of ufology and witnesses, so I had originally thought it would be easy to find such quotations.

As my original post above makes clear (I hope), I've heard such views expressed informally but cannot recall such a view being expressed by any well-recognised skeptic or other commentator (such as in the books I've read by Carl Sagan, Frank Drake, Philip Klass, Oberg, Sheaffer, Seth Shostak or others).

This thread has helped me locate a couple of examples of ridicule - but still VERY few (and far, far, far fewer than the number of COMPLAINTS about ridicule of UFO witnesses and believers I've read in books and online).

All the best,

Isaac
edit on 25-3-2011 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
"I think we're all (Idiots) on this bus!"
apologies to the Firesign Theatre.......

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

My momma told me "you can't insult an idiot"!

So I will have to disagree with that statement.

I think !!!

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by 7Ayreon
UFO's exist, there Unidentified Flying Objects. When the abreviation of UFO is said the majority of people think of aliens.

That is exactly what I tell people.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
The scientifically curious believe in UFOs (er aliens) but the "idiots" will fall for Project Blue Book holograms.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I think people who say that have either lack of imagination beyond the box they're thinking in.And also are small social thinkers. Their world is very small and they want to keep it that way. to protect the things they otherwise would lose if they embraced it. fear is the common factor to this people I believe. Fear for integration and competitiveness . They also connect UFOs directly with extraterrestrial entities.And took the movie Independence day very seriously.. Sad I hope they will recover after the LZ is initiated .. But I Doubt that!
edit on 21/12/2010 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join