It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sony invents the Matrix!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Imagine yourself being in the video games you play!! Imagine being in a first person shooter or being a world class striker for your national team in the world cup! Or experiencing a movie through the eyes of the main character!

Check this out guys..
Sony has invented a machine that beams vision straight into your brain.

The technique could one day be used to create videogames in which you can smell, taste, and touch, or to help people who are blind or deaf.

The U.S. patent, granted to Sony researcher Thomas Dawson, describes a technique for aiming ultrasonic pulses at specific areas of the brain to induce "sensory experiences" such as smells, sounds and images.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

P.s: Isn't there a thread on this already?? I would think so, but I haven't seen it.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Oww mann

No experiments have been conducted yet. It's still on paper.

www.engadget.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Sounds like the PS9

PS9 commercial

Sony must of had this on their mind for a long time now.

[edit on 13/4/2006 by Umbrax]

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Let's see...

Potential to be used for mind control? Check.
Potential to be used for torture? Check!
Potential to have millions of screaming kiddies and gamers to buy one? CHECK!

Hey, someone was bound to say it, eventually.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Hmm... I wonder if your brain would be able to tell the difference between realities.

I hope so, otherwise I'll avoid games which require underwater treks like the plague.
Wouldn't want to stop breathing, thinking if you inhale you'll get waterlogged...

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   
oooooo....very cool, reminds me of "wire tripping" from strange days.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Good thing this isnt out it'd probably destroy a lot of lives. I mean look what games like EverQuest and World of Warcraft have done to people lol so weak, now if they could get to be inside of their virtual world where they spend 20 hours a day playing... well I'm not going to judge just give me a different game

I mean if I could be in GTA and do whatever I wanted with no real consequences other than having to respawn.... or man just pump with the pleasure pulse singals and have me playing one of those gay japanese sexy beach games lol.

Did anyone ever see that movie Strange Days?

This is not a far cry from the plot of Strange Days, which centres around a technology called SQUID (another useless abbreviation which I don't remember what it means), where the wearer of a headset is able to relive experiences recorded by themselves or another person. You may be curious as to what it's like to go bungee jumping, to have risk-free sex in ways you couldn't in real life, or just to know what it's like under another person's skin. But everything has a bad use, and when people are able to replay memories of robbing a bank, committing a murder, committing a rape, or being killed, you can see where problems may arise.

www.imdb.com...

lol I just read xphilesphans post yeah strange days ^

that was a crazy movie however I rather not relive the exprience of someone else but make my own crazy adventure in the game, I mean dude I'd jump off buildings its not lie I'm going to die.

or just imagine being able to fly in a game could live out any desire matrix style that is until the agents come then you hafta kung fu battle for the rest of the movie, inbetween stating the obvious and looking like a err heh almost got on a keanu rant lawl

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xar Ke Zeth
Hmm... I wonder if your brain would be able to tell the difference between realities.

I hope so, otherwise I'll avoid games which require underwater treks like the plague.
Wouldn't want to stop breathing, thinking if you inhale you'll get waterlogged...

Probably not. The sensory information that your brain receives has been encoded into an electrical signal before it reaches the brain. If this device can send a similar signal the brainprobably wouldn't know that it was artificially produced. That's the funny thing about reality. Just a bunch of interpreted signals running around in our brains.

top topics

join