It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WTH is going on W/ our food?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   
What the hell is going on with our food these days?? At what point did we decide that the main ingredients in food not include… well….. FOOD!?! Have any of you really taken a good hard look at what goes into the ingredient list in some foods? It’s down right frightening… and disgusting!

I tend to shy away from pretty much all fast food for the most part. On rare occasions I will hit up an IN-N-OUT Burger but that’s about it! If I ever eat out it will be a more upscale restaurant or a hole in the wall taqueria.

I have seen a little bit of the documentary “Super Size Me” and hope to watch it in it entirety sometime soon. That guy was friggin’ brave man! No way in hell I would ever do that! I couldn’t believe that fast food fries are loaded with sugar!! My god!! SUGAR?? What ever happened to just potatoes fried in corn oil? And the meat…. Is that even meat anymore? It looks more like one of those Gain’s Burgers you feed dogs only grey/brown with the nifty “grill marks” cleverly stenciled on the burger.

I’m disgusted people! DISGUSTED! And the crap being sold in supermarkets isn’t that far off either!

Something needs to change!

….I’m starting with my diet!

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I thought I would have to drag my son to see "Supersize Me", but it turned out that he dragged me to see it. Look, the answer to what is going on with our food is, "follow the money." Corporations have been given way too much power, especially since World War II. And power corrupts, yadda yadda.

If you think that's an exaggeration, check out this web site:

www.thecorporation.com...

The 2005 book and movie of the same name were authored by a university professor and his colleagues. The gist is that corporations are now at the peak of their power, just as the churches were in medieval days. The next inevitable step is that long slide downhill. Corporations will "eat it", just as the omnipotent churches did during the Renaissance.

How to survive in the meantime? For the last six months, I have shopped only at nutural food stores. It helps that one of them has a good in-house restaurant.

Another crucial survival tip: Be careful with your portion size. When my son returned from a student group trip to Europe, he reported to me that serving sizes in all the restaurants are small, the way they should be. (Example: nutritionists say that a meat serving should be about the size of a deck of cards.)

PS: A fair number of health food co-op stores and markets offer meat items, most of which are far more healthy (e.g., "grass-fed beef"). Be aware however that corporate "health food" chains charge absolute top dollar for all such items. Compare prices when you shop.

[edit on 11-8-2006 by FutureLibrarian]

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   
i always wonder this myself.
i think another thing that it linked to the food , is the way that kids are acting, and the way they are developing now a days.
i remember when i was 9 years old, and i did not look like some girls do now.
i mean there were few exceptions with a couple of kids. but almost everywhere you look now, the kids that are 10 look like their 17.

i think it has something to do with the hormones and stuff that they put in the beef, which in turn goes into the meat, and the milk/

just my opinion.

im out
-mindtrip02

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Yeah, I've noticed it too. My whole family eats differently now.

But, just for amusement, check out the ingredients in Dasani. Yes, ingredients in water!

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Yes I have seen that!! Why add flavor enhanceing minerals? WHY? Just filter the damn water and bottle it! Simple!

Uggghhh!

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Just found this recently.
You can find out all the pollutants in your tap water.

www.ewg.org...

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   
True guess they just wished we were all stupid. You cannot go around putting hormones and pesticides in our foods for everyday consumption and expect us not to get sick, fatter, slower, and growing where we should not be as a child of ten.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 03:16 AM
link   
You should read "Shopped" by Joanna Blythman, it will make you think twice before going to the supermarket for your shopping, since i have read the book i have seriously cut down on buying stuff from supermarkets and now buy a lot more produce from small local shops like butchers, bakeries, green grocers, fish mongers etc. Its also good because it gets me out and about too

I quit eating fast food from place like MacDonalds, KFC, Burger kind etc a long time ago. The ingredients for the food is very poor quality and almost all of it is battery/intensive/0 grazing/barn range farmed, all of which farming methods are very cruel and barbaric, the animals have no quality of life and live lives of complete suffering, so i refuse to financially support such practices by buying their products.
I also prefer to buy organic food, for both health and environmental reasons.

I've worked in various food producing factories over my life so far, so i have seen first hand what goes into the food and how it is made. I can tell you something, i won't be eating such mass factory produced foods like scotch eggs, burgers, sausages etc again!

Food for thought: meat that goes into burgers is often of the lowest quality, beef burgers are primarily made out of spent dairy cows, which produce the lowest quality of meat posible and it is this same meat that also goes into dog food. So technically, food products like burgers are on the same quality level as dog food (and this is not an exageration).

Eat a good diet and have an active lifestyle- if you don't do both of these, your health will suffer in the long term for it. If you want to have a healthy body, good state of mind and retain a youthful appearance for as long as posible, then it is important to both excercise and eat good quality food with good ingredients.
People seem to have very little concern over what goes into their food or where it comes from now days, this is bad because it leads to bad/immoral farming practices and unhealthy people.

top topics

join