It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Merkava 4 video. Awesome!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Merkava video

It shows the inside and outside of the Israelis' newest tank, as well as showing off its capabilties during a training exercise. Its pretty cool. I wonder if Egypt's tanks the old M1a1s could take it on.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I'm sure they could, though the deciding factor about who would be the victor would be tank crew training and tactics.

2 things I found suprising about that video, 1) debarks and 2) surface to air capability

I suppose the idea of being able to track a low slow target shouldn't really be that suprising, but it does alter the mental image I had of heli-borne tank hunting.

I'm indecided at the moment of whether carrying troops to debark from the tank is a really good idea, or a really bad one. I suppose it's quite a bit more protection than the best APCs in the world could ever hope to match, but if you have to drive a tank somewhere you needed infantry in the first place I'm questioning whether you'd want to put a tank there. Also, the access hatch seemed a bit too small to make that an effective tactic.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Travellar
I suppose it's quite a bit more protection than the best APCs in the world could ever hope to match, but if you have to drive a tank somewhere you needed infantry in the first place I'm questioning whether you'd want to put a tank there. Also, the access hatch seemed a bit too small to make that an effective tactic.

In urban combat, having troops squared away and release whenever they are need to deal with any enemy fighters that the tank can't reach is more sound idea. Not to mention you could sneak soldiers that leaves the tank's rear and sneak somewhere while the tank moves on.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I guess its okay for the Israelis to have extra troops in there tanks considering the most they ever face is a 80mm RPG or a small IED with limited armour piercing capability and poor tactics by the palestinians. So its a good idea for them. Personally if i was facing a real enemy which is armed with wire gudied or laser guided modern anti tank missiles like Kornet-e,metis-m,TOW2, Hellfire etc... i wouldnt want to be in that tank as a passenger imagine trying to escape when the tank is hit from behind with a missiles considering the engine is in the front of the tank that would be hell to be in the back im sure a tandem warhead missile will pierce right throgh and kill all the troops but not the driver. From an israeli perceptive and the limited threats they face from the palestinians i would assume its a good tactic to carry troops in there tanks but for other countries who face a slightly more serios and dangerous enemy it could be a deadly mistake and disadvanatge.

[edit on 13-4-2006 by iqonx]

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I don't think Isreal looks at the Palistinians as thier only threat. I believe it far more prudent for them to look at ALL of thier neighbors as potential threats, though some of them have become remarkably less so in the last 10-20 years.

top topics

join