It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corporations Writing State Laws? A New Trend?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Im totally against Lobbying, but what happens when a Corporation just bypasses that part and just dives right into just writing a law and inserting its own agenda right along with it? Is this going to be a new trend for companies to not only insert themselves but to act as all-seeing-eyes for the government as well?
Oklahoma is instituting a new law banning spyware (which is great!) however, there is a catch, they went to Microsoft to ask for their help in writing it. The spyware points are great as they promise fines of $1m for a company to intrude unknowingly into someones computer. Its definitly going to make spyware companies think about what they do in the future when it comes to our privacy, but theres more to it, and this is the part that worries me, along with all the good spyware stuff , Microsoft has also inserted its own little bag of fun that if by chance you have ANY type of pirated software on your machine when you go to do , say a Microsoft Update, they can actually scan your computer and DELETE THE PIRATED SOFTWARE FROM YOUR HARD DRIVE! Isn't that wonderful? It doesn't stop there though it also mentions ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES as well! Gambling online, Buying Cigarettes online to bypass your state taxes, possibly unliscensed music or peer-to-peer software. This is very very dangerous IMO. I hope the citizens in Oklahoma do not allow this bill to be passed as-is. Its something tht needs to be written by the people and for the people. Not by the Corporations for the corporations. They want to cut out the other guys only to insert themselves!

Microsoft Helped Write Oklahoma Computer law

Knock, knock. Who's there?

By Nick Farrell: Monday 10 April 2006, 06:48
THE GOOD people of Oklahoma asked Microsoft to help the State write a new law banning spyware, and the results are amazing.
Apparently the state was so impressed with Vole’s work on the law it plans to bring it before its government for debate under the fairly harmless title "Computer Spyware Protection Act House" Bill 2083.
The law is amazing, not only because it is probably the first written overtly by a major company without bothering with the tedious problem of lobbying, but because… well it is written by Microsoft, what do you think could go wrong?

Another source
www.okgazette.com

I'm surprised no one has posted or commented on this before. I hope this is being posted in the right area. My appologies if its not.

Pie

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Im really surprised with so many people against government intrusion there have been 2 other articles besides mine, this one got no replies , the second one only got 1 reply and the newest one in pending news releases has gotten none. Everyone is worrying so much about Iraq, Iran and Israel and we are getting it right in the tuchus here at home.

Pie

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I'm really suprised too.

And to be honest, i think microsoft looking at whether you have pirated software on your computer when you windows update, will be just the beginning of this.

I have to say, i've never liked Lobbying much. I think that episode of Family Guy where Peter is promoted to the head of his company (a toy company bought out by a cigarette company to make young people smoke) and sent to washington to lobby, while hillarious, also somewhat illustrates the problem.

Companies can lobby for laws, but generally companies do things that are in THEIR best interest. I'm not sure about the USA but im guessing not many people personally lobby for laws. The fact they dont have the financial resources of a big company may very well be why. I think a kind of 'anti-lobbying' taxpayer funded think tank of some sort, that would serve to oppose the corporate lobbying that is not in the majority of citizens best interests, and also put forward their own ideas etc.

Just ranting a bit, sorry. I do have to say that i think Microsoft should be one of the last company's aloud to write laws. "Hey, lets just get a company to write this law, I just wanna go home and sleep". "Ok, whats the biggest monopoly we can find?".

Just.. glad i dont live in Oklahoma. :S

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ekul08
Just.. glad i dont live in Oklahoma. :S

The thing that worries me is if it gets passed in OK , then who's to say they will stop there? They can go to other stooges they have in other states and do the same thing or just go directly and make it national law since it was already an approved law in one state.

Pie

new topics

top topics

join