It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New telescope looking for intelligent life.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 06:57 AM
link   
On Feb 20th I posted a similar topic HERE

Then this morning I read a Yahoo news story
HERE

Basically they have built a large telescope that searches the sky for signs of intelligent life by looking at possible light signal transmissions.
I was "sort of" thinking about trying my own set up with a smaller telescope and a slower scan. I think it would be interesting.

What would you think is the possibility of finding anything?
I think it might be up there with radio signals myself.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beer_Guy

Not any more than the chances of them getting a bloody brain and realise you don't need any telescope to find aliens, they are in no short supply right here on Earth, if they just shut their a**es and opened their eyes, maybe they can see that.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manincloak

Originally posted by Beer_Guy

Not any more than the chances of them getting a bloody brain and realise you don't need any telescope to find aliens, they are in no short supply right here on Earth, if they just shut their a**es and opened their eyes, maybe they can see that.

Aliens so abundand on Earth?! Ok, Shoot one and bring it me. I always fancied an alien for tea.

What if all the other intelligent life out there is doing the same thing? We're all watching each other doing nothing...hopefully they actually stopped just watching and sent us some signal.

Manincloak - i have never ever seen an alien. They cant be THAT Common. Manincloak, how long do you think it would take you to go get a picture or some of your own evidence? I would like to see...

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Wow, not a great start to a new topic....

I think I'd like to see that alien too, but don't shoot him, just duct-tape him and I'll come pick him up.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Thanks for the link.

It's only a matter of time before we prove or disprove the existence of other intelligent life. If they're out there, they should be transmitting.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by rizla
Thanks for the link.

It's only a matter of time before we prove or disprove the existence of other intelligent life. If they're out there, they should be transmitting.

First.. for "them to be transmitting" there would have to be a parallel evolution that would have taken place on their planet and ours, the odds of life on another planet using the same type of communications that we are are very slight to say the least, and slight would be more accuratly described as nill.. any carrier wave that would arrive at earth would be HOW OLD?? thousands? millions? billions of years old.

Second.. both they and out planet would have to be at about a equal stage of evolution, thus even adding more odds against finding any carrier waves.

Third.. entropy expansion, we have only theoretical understanding of what effects it would have on different froms of energy entering it.

new topics

top topics

join