It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20 Seconds to Cross the Street Grandma..Go!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I saw this in the news, and I had to share.

www.clickondetroit.com...

An 82-year-old woman has received a $114 ticket for taking too long to cross a street in the San Fernando Valley, Calif.

Mayvis Coyle said she began shuffling with her cane when the light was green, but was unable to make it to the other side before it turned red.

Wow!

Before I go any further, I have been in the position of annoyed motorist, waiting for an infirm, barely mobile person to cross in traffic in front of me. It's annoying, sure.

But, this is the kicker.

On Friday, the light changed too quickly even for high school students to make it across without running. It went from green to red in 20 seconds.

Okie dokie.

Run grandma, run! The light is changing, run!

5 lanes of traffic in 20 seconds..and if you can't make it, that's a hundred bucks. It's not even a game you can win! If you get to the other side in that time, the city should have to pay YOU a hundred bucks. If they want to make a sport out of crossing traffic, I'm all for that, but let's see the payout!

And that cop..someone find him a comically small desk and a dunce cap, I think a photo oppurtunity is in order.

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I also got a big chuckle out of this story and doubt the ticket will hold up in court because even high school students and individuals with electric carts/scooters cannot even make it. Perhaps granny needs an
to fend of the cops

Occifer Kelly

Mod Edit: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 16-4-2006 by AgentSmith]

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   
There was a follow-up story to it that reported that the city had lengthened the cross-walk light after this was brought to their attention and they are evaluating many more lights across the city.

I think they will end up pulling the ticket for her and she won't have to go to court.

JDub

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Someone messed up!!!! Stoplights are supposed to have a mush greater time between the change from green to red. Sounds to me like someone with the city street department screwed up on the light.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   
While 20 seconds is not long enough to cross i do think that it is annoying to have to be in the position of the motorist. i would like to know how long it did actually take her to cross. i mean if it took her a ridiculous amount of time to cross, i can understand why people would be upset. with that said she shouldn't have been given a ticket if she only had 20 seconds. maybe what they need to do is set up a ramp or something with stairs going up and down on both sides so people can go up whenever they want.

I think people should be considerate of one another however. but i think it is never discussed that just because a person is elderly does'nt mean that they shouldn't be considerate of other people as well. that doesnt fully pertain to this situation i guess. but i know alot of old people who dish it out to people all the time, and if some younger person does anything back its omg..how could you be rude to an old person! of course not all old people are rude. but the elderly do get a stigma for being stubborn and bitter for a reason lol. and young people are known for being impatient and loud for a reason as well. i just find, because im a young person (only 20) that im expected to be considerate and swallow older people's rudness all the time but it doesn't seem they have any of the same standards placed on them...does that make sense? but i love my grandparents and i dont hate old people so please dont think that that is what i am promoting here.

Cherrio!

Digitalgrl

top topics

join