It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Centipede

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   
In some western countries what he did was illegal but if he had of fed a centipede to a mouse then it wouldn't be!
Seem a bit hypocritical?

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 02:44 AM
link   
God damn, am I the ONLY one that feels bad for these poor mice? I'm pretty conservative, but I have a soft spot when it comes to animals. I couldn't watch the mouse get eaten

Edit: Read the rest of the posts and realized that a lot of people agree with me. Hey, I feel bad for reptiles and ugly bugs too when they're tortured. When I catch moths, lizards, and other bugs in my house, I never kill them or flush them down the toilet. I hope that centipede grows to six feet, eats the guy, then a gang of mice attack the centipede and cripple it. That would be funny if the thing couldn't move anymore...

Tourist attraction?

[edit on 30-4-2006 by Herman]

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Its so large and long but you can see it aint a hoax so its just an animal that lives in the dust far in arizona or somthing

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Anywhere that these things can be found, I will not be! I don't mind snakes, spiders, mice, but I do mind that thing. Thanks for showing us though, I had heard about them before but never saw an actual video. I'll stick to gators and nutria rats in New Orleans.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Well this video seems to be doing for old Scolopendra what 'Jaws' did for sharks!!

Its a shame the 'owners' actions, which could be interpreted as taking delight in seeing the mouse getting snuffed out, also reflect badly on the centipede, which is only doing what it was designed to do. Maybe someone should set the centipede loose on him...se how he likes it!

Blame the owner, don't hate the 'pede.

Here's some centipede facts -

They take care of their appearance :

For animals that spend most of their time living in the dirt, centipedes groom and clean themselves carefully, passing all of their legs over their maxillae (mouthparts) to remove moulds and parasites.

Australian Museum

They make great parents :

Females excavate cavities in soil or rotten wood and lay a mass of eggs that they coil around and protect. Young are protected until they can fend for themselves but since they're Scolopendra centipedes, that really doesn't take too long.

God Of Insects

They keep their neighbourhoods free of all sorts of unsavoury characters -

Let it be said in their defence that they render us a tremendous service by destroying all kinds of harmful insects, including cockroaches, locusts, grasshoppers and sometimes even small rodents.

Insectia.com

I'm not sure about this anecdote though -

Entomologists, are therefore wary of centipedes and handle them carefully. The same cannot be said of children in the Chaymas tribe, whom the explorer Von Humbolt visited in 1803. He reported seeing them capturing huge centipedes with their bare hands and gulping them down still alive! Curiously, this custom appears to have died out... perhaps the venom finally took its toll and the last raw centipede eater, too!

Insectia.com

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1337nessCas
Its so large and long but you can see it aint a hoax so its just an animal that lives in the dust far in arizona or somthing

Nope, never seen one here (The Arizona desert in which I live.)

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
that thing was huge... I want one!

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Oke Herman i thought maybe it lived there..
But what if that mouse was super small and then the centipede was a normal shape..
Then it maybe looked like its huge ! is that a point?

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1337nessCas
Oke Herman i thought maybe it lived there..
But what if that mouse was super small and then the centipede was a normal shape..
Then it maybe looked like its huge ! is that a point?

These big ones live in northern South America/Caribbean and some reports have them as long as 15 inches, so the mouse featured may not be THAT small.

However, the modern day versions come NOWHERE near these babies -

A BULKY centipede-like creature that died out some 300 million years ago is the largest arthropod yet discovered. Palaeontologists in Germany who examined a partial fossil unearthed near Jena in the east of the country say it would have reached a length of 2.3 metres and a breadth of 50 centimetres.

(Bold added by me)

Taken from New Scientist Article.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by KhieuSamphan

it would have reached a length of 2.3 metres and a breadth of 50 centimetres.

(Bold added by me)

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!

I will not think about that! That is the kind of thing that they make horror movies about. The thought is driving me nuts.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 12:44 PM
link   
People are saying this is sick but dont they do the exact same thing for snakes???
So why dont you say theyre cruel and evil just becasue they arent bugs.
(NOt that im for this though.)

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
(as I sit here shivering after watching that) I think one thing that really gives me chill bumps is just pictureing the feeling of those little feet walking up my leg. Or hearing them rustle the ground chasing me! Majority of all bugs scare me even the little tiny ones... but something that I could hear crunch if I were to run it over. creepy.... Long live city living !! I can deal with a sewer rat or two!

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 08:01 PM
link   
my jaw dropped when the centipede came into view, imagine finding that in your dryer or garage

yikes!

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Hey they coudl make a horror movie outa this teh only difference to normal is this one uses real cratures
a lot scarier than prosphetics

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 01:53 PM
link   
OMG

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 05:42 PM
link   
haha, that thing is evil!
its quite disturbing though
i'd run like hell if i saw one of them things never mind shooting it lol
xXxDanixXx

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   
ooooooo...........my............

I had to stop it as soon as it came into view.

It scares me
*runs to bed and hides under the covers*

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Ah those centipedes are also poisonous and can be highly agressive. I believe their front two legs are converted fangs that can inject some nasty stuff.

A Few hundred million years ago they got much larger though. Paleontologists in Thueringen, Germany, in 1999 discovered the fossil remains of a centipede that reached over 8 ft in length

I think it was the largest land insect that ever lived.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wowser
"scolopendra gigantea robusta", is the stated name in the description of the video. Anyway, watched the whole thing, and I'm really glad they don't get much bigger than that....I hope.

This is what the description says about the size of it:
"This specimen was not yet full grown"

I want one.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by GMSkel

I want one.

You can really purchase such insects if you want, My friend owns two of the most deadly scorpions.

www.ajexotics.com...

There really not even that expensive

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join