It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Centipede

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I found a report from The Caribbean Jornal Of Science which contains the following snippets -

The centipede started eating around the bat’s neck, continued into the chest, and then into the abdominal region.

Nice!!!

We touched the centipede several times with a stick, attempting to scare it away and release the bat, but contrary to what we expected, the centipede responded by partly coiling around the bat and holding it more tenaciously.

Lol...didn't your mother ever warn you about prodding giant centipedes with sticks?!?!

Thirdly, the centipedes may have employed a strategy used by snakes to seize bats in caves and trees (e.g., Hardy 1957; Barr and Norton 1965; Hopkins and Hopkins 1982; Rodríguez and Reagan, 1984), i.e., hang from
the ceiling and wait for a bat to fly close enough to catch it in mid-air...

So make sure you crouch low when you go into one of these caves...you don't want one of these fellas latching onto you...

Link includes a nice picture of centipede hanging from cave roof with catured bat (which I cannot link to, shame!!!).

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I used to live in the caribbean and they had these centipedes, albeit not this species, but similar on a smaller scale. They grew to about 6" and their bite is poisonous. They are very fast and scare the hell out of me. I am glad I will never see this scolopendra gigantea robusta. It makes me cringe.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
So that's why I'm not about to go wandering around in the rainforest.

I'm going backpacking thru the costa rican rainforest for a month.....I think I'm gonna keep a few cans of bug spray and my machete REALLY close to me at all times
my god that would be an awsome pet. I have a nile moniter I feed mice to. And some snakes. But Ive never seen something eat a mouse like that before.

I was reading an aricle in reptile mag about a six foot centipede that lived in the jurassic.

I'm off to the pet store....

[edit on 12-4-2006 by edwardteach]

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I feel sorry for the mouse. =(

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   
That was horrible...

The poor mouse! i feel sick... i have the goosebumps and i feel like a im about to be ill...

Worst thing was the mousey crying. i would have kicked the big centipede.... aww the poor mouse... and the nasty people filming it!

Naasty!

Oni x x

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   
A friend and I were going over the video and came up with an idea. There was a brief period where the mouse in video2 was getting away, but the guy forced it into the centipedes arms. I think he should have let the mouse try to evade the centipede, and if it survived for more than a few minutes, put it into a seperate cage. Do that again a few times, and breed a group of Centipede evading mice. Keep breading for a few generations, and you could have some bad*ss mice.

Then, pit them against the centipedes. At the very least, your centipede will have a better workout.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   
There are pretty big ones like the one in the video in Malaysia. If you get bit, it'll lay you up in the hospital for a week.

Kinda scary to think that in the time of the dinosaurs, there were car-sized centipedes.

Lol @ your idea Rasobasi420. Seems like a lot of work for nothing though. Mongooses fight Cobras on a daily basis in some points of the world. Seems sort of pointless to fight a centipede against a mouse when you can watch something bigger and deadlier. Although it's still pretty mean, either way

[edit on 17-4-2006 by Yarcofin]

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Yeah but pitting something bigger and deadlier than the centipede would be cheap. With the mouse against the centipede it would be like the hunter becomes the hunted senario. And why stop at the centipedes, the mice can become so crazy they could take on terrorists.

I'm all for it, count me in!!

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   
...I'm going to lose sleep over this.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   
freakin tastyyyyyy man

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I'm thinkin' clarified butter. I'm thinkin' thermadore. I'm thinkin' sub sandwich with a Labatt's Blue.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   
That was simply amazing.
I wonder if they can be trained...

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   
ewww...
talk about freaks of nature...brr...
I wouldn't want one of those in my backyard

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
That was a sweet video i want a giant centipede for sure!

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   
That is disgusting!!!!! Animal cruelty!!! That was forced! That doesn't happen in the wild! Actually that RARELY happens! Shame on that disgusting vile person. SICK I feel SICK!....oh well..nothing I can do about. lol. Poor mouse

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I agree with other posters in this thread. This is a cruel and disgusting video with no redeeming value.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 03:27 AM
link   
www.goldenphoenixexotica.com...
Wanna buy one.(they're out of that species but they have similar ones)
I was going to buy one a while ago.

d1k

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 03:37 AM
link   
That is hands down the most disgusting thing I have ever seen, ever. I thought some of the ones I kill here at home got big!

My question is why in the world would someone want a big nasty bug like that instead of the mice he is feeding them?? I'd much rather have the mice as pets!

Tea

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by d1k

That is hands down the most disgusting thing I have ever seen, ever. I thought some of the ones I kill here at home got big!

My question is why in the world would someone want a big nasty bug like that instead of the mice he is feeding them?? I'd much rather have the mice as pets!

I think there are some just plain sick arse people out there who get pleasure out of blatant cruelty. I think you'd have to be a sociopath to enjoy ownership of something this wretched. Normal people don't think it's cool to watch mammals suffer in that way.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tea
I think there are some just plain sick arse people out there who get pleasure out of blatant cruelty. I think you'd have to be a sociopath to enjoy ownership of something this wretched. Normal people don't think it's cool to watch mammals suffer in that way.

Normal people would prefer to watch the centipede crushed under foot. Normal people would value a mouse's life over a centipedes. I think that is something "normal" people need to get over, and learn to value all life equally. As long as it's part of the natural order of things.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join