It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa to Crash probe into Moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Nasa is planning on crashing a probe into the Moon so it will release debris into the solar system and so they can collect the data to see if there is water on the Moon. The project cost 600 million with the probe alone costing $80 million. Am I the only one that thinks that 600 million is absurd. Can't astronauts just got for the first time and do it themselves for much less? And why all this intrest with the Moon and water? Are we moving?
Here is the link guys:
Link

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The 600 million you mention covers all of the robotic missions to be sent
out to the moon prior to the human missions to return to the moon.
And while it does seem a bit steep, well I am definitely in support of this
money being spent this way. The outcomes should overshadow these
present expenditures in the future.

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Well I for one am happy that the Shuttles will be going into retirement. They are so Grossly expensive to operate. What I like about the Moon missions is that they are using proven methods that got them there the first time. Should be able to fund all the Moon future endeavors with the money saved on the Shuttle programs alone. And what better Space station than the Moon?

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrjenka
why all this interest with the Moon and water? Are we moving?

In 2004 Bush set Nasa on a new path...ditching the EXPENSIVE space shuttle & Space Station, and instead go to the moon before 2020. But not a quick little stay, like in 1969-72, but this time to stay there, and have a permanent base there, that will grow over time.

Much of the moons development will depend on water, the quantity is still unknown. But if there’s plenty of water, then it will make the whole process much easier.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Hey, thanks for your posts guys, but, have you seen that alot of the super powers are doing the same thing? Russia announced there trip to the moon 20 mins affter this article came out and China is going to the moon to search for water too. I think they want to set up a base there and further explore the universe.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 11:36 PM
link   
yeah, many countries want to go to the moon, and set up bases there, but it all comes down to there commitment and there deep pockets.

Russia will likely work with another country...mainly because they have the tech to get there, but not the dough. I recently read about a possibly US & China cooperation, but I dont see that happening, basically because of tech transfers.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Not till 2020? Damn, ill be 38 by then. Is space debris going to be a problem? Im guessing it will have to be underground. There might be a problem with a buildings footing being that the moon has low gravity so buiding above ground is probably impossible.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by GlassRunner
Is space debris going to be a problem? Im guessing it will have to be underground. There might be a problem with a buildings footing being that the moon has low gravity so buiding above ground is probably impossible.

Just because its gravity is 1/6th the earths doesn't mean you need to go underground. It would be smart thought to have a couple buildings underground, for protection for radiation & micro metiorites. The structures above ground would likely be bulletproof (like the ISS), so the tiny meteors dont shoot right threw. If there is water there then we can use luner soil and dust to mixed witht the water to make concrete...which would make a safe haven from radiation...just like nuclear power plants.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   
In May 2006 the U.S. Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, will have their annual open house, and it's free to the public. Here's the link with full info:

www.jpl.nasa.gov...

My favorite part about these open houses is that all of the tables are staffed by real scientists... so bring your questions about the Moon shot! It is, after all, your tax dollar at work. And it's the only weekend of the year you can visit JPL without a very sincere security clearance.

If the date or location are not possible for you, check out the virtual open house info on the above link, with highlights from past open houses.

new topics

top topics

join