It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official!! Iran announces nuclear ability.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Iran is struggling to master 1940s technology.
The problem i have is that if what you say is true the US should defend Israel not attack Iran.
If they attack Iran im not having it, the americans are making just as much fuss as the Iranian guy who is clearly a nut. But from his point of view his country is being threatened as well.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
Enriched Uranium does not = Nuclear weapons.
It all depends on the level of enrichment really, something the IAEA will have to inspect. I highly doubt there is anything of weapons grade there.
That won't stop the salivating armchair warriors calling for immediate death though

It doen't have to be "weapons grade" if it's used in a dirty bomb.
Uranium in and of itself can kill you, it just takes longer. Just look up Marie Curie.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
AND...

That ASSumes that what they report is what they are actually doing. Please quote one governments accurate announcement of such a critical technology. Id take what they claim and add at least 5 years of progress on to that. And that a more accurate picture of their ability.

[edit on 18-4-2006 by skippytjc]

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Ahhh the threat of global thermonuclear war. Reminds me of when I was young.
God I thought this stuff was a relic of the past.

It is like a bad dream.

[edit on 18-4-2006 by grantrl78]

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I'm new here but was interested by all of the comments in this thread.

My only question would be this: Given that Iran has enormous oil production and reserves, why do they need nuclear power?

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by wills120
I'm new here but was interested by all of the comments in this thread.

My only question would be this: Given that Iran has enormous oil production and reserves, why do they need nuclear power?

Why does the UK want more nulcear power when we could build other stations at less cost? Why would Iran want to burn up it's oil supplys for power when they could use nuclear fuel?

I think that is a resonable excuse really, not wanting to use up your other reserves. Otherwise all that lovely uranium would just sit in the ground unused. I'm not really for nuclear power but we shouldn't be allowed to say they can't have it and then use it ourselves.

[edit on 18-4-2006 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by wills120
Given that Iran has enormous oil production and reserves, why do they need nuclear power?

Maybe because unlike the US they are smart enough to realize that their reserves won't last forever. Why wait until the last minute to try and scramble to build nuke plants. These plants don't just pop up over night. They take years to design and build. If there was anyone that would know the limits of the inventory it would be those who own and control the inventory. They may see the writing on the wall. The end of the oil era is not all that far off (relatively speaking).

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc

#4 The irony is staggering: How much oil pumped out of Iran will fuel the planes and ships that will bomb it?

Haha! That is definitely the definition of IRONY!

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nakash
FACT: Bush used that to get votes

FACT: Iran's president believes what he's saying and just threatened a month ago to wipe out a whole country.

Islamic end of times scenario was written by Satan to dupe Muslims into doing his will. 1 billion people already follow Antichrist and will take his mark without a fight (mark being some sort of tax or calendar restriction most probably). Nothing on Armaggedon being needed to initiate a rapture in the Bible (in fact, there is nothing Christians can do to "start the rapture"). On the other hand the Bible is an excellent guide to predicting the behaviour of Muslims (who will as prophecised initiate a war against Israel, commit genocide, and then have to suffer divine intervention before their leader continues to spiral the Earth into chaos). I'd go for peace if I were you.

[edit on 12-4-2006 by Nakash]

So couldnt the Jews say that Christianity was written by Satan? Say whatever you want to say hypocrite. Just because somebodies beliefs defer dont make them evil. People like you make me sick.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   
There is also some irony in how fundamentalist christians side with "god's chosen people" when jews don't even believe in the trinity. If we really were on the side of god, shouldn't we at least believe them when they say that jesus is not the fulfilment of their own prophecy. And that "old testiment" laws are to be followed to be right with their god. The logical problems kill me. It is amazing what has been used throughoout history to justify wars and hatred.
And how little time people spend thinking about what they believe.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Ungh, I cant believe how many people think Iran is going to try and attack with nukes.

To make a nuclear bomb you need to enrich your uranium to 90%... uranium used in nuclear power plants are only enriched to 3%. Thats hardly a nuclear weapon.

To the people who keep implying that because Iran is seeking nuclear power, they must be planning to use it as a weapon... Canada has nuclear power, yet we dont own a single nuclear warhead. Not one. We provide the United States with the majority of its eastern and western seaboards electricity.
The United States has enough nukes to destroy the world twice over... so, using your logic, they must be planning to do just that! Lets kill off the US before they get a chance.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
aha, but Iran may be using the whole enrichment thing as a cover to hide their donors. Belaruss reported 250 (read two fifty) missing suitcase nukes for instance. You honestly think Iran doesn't have a bomb hidden somewhere, especially after Iraq? Why would they have shahabs made just for nukes when they don't even have enough enriched uranium for a powerplant? Why do you think their president is so crazy and is threatening to annhilate his neighbors? You can never prove that though, but I'm sure they already have nuclear weapons. Think about it- if a tiny little Latinamerican nation such as Uruguay managed to obtain plutonium for a special test in a potential powerplant under the table, why can't Iran do it as well? Oh and Sunkums- it's not my fault if prop is a rabid idiot using his religion to try to intimidate me, I just gave him an apt response- that's all (if your one of those people who take fifty slaps a day from people like prop then it's not my fault either). Oh, and don't start the Christianity copied Judaism BS, Judaism copied Christianity since most of it's customs were taken from Eastern Europe and it's Hasidic traditions from paganism (ie: purim ear of Hamom is actually a re-enaction of the rituals of Saturn's overthrow of Uranus, the so called star of David is actually a Caaninite symbol, and so forth).

[edit on 19-4-2006 by Nakash]

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
To the people who keep implying that because Iran is seeking nuclear power, they must be planning to use it as a weapon... Canada has nuclear power, yet we dont own a single nuclear warhead. Not one. We provide the United States with the majority of its eastern and western seaboards electricity.

And what you have said has what exactly to do with "To those people who keep implying that because Iran is seeking nuclear power, they must be planning to use it as a weapon"?

Are you "implying" that the US is the only nation that believes Iran is using their "peaceful intent" nuclear program to not pursue nuclear weapons? If not, then Canada not having a "single nuclear warhead" and Canada providing the "majority" of the electricity to and for the eastern and western seaboards is immaterial.

And if you do think the US is the only nation that thinks Iran is pursuing nuclear weapons, then you might want to reconsider that mode of thinking. Personally, I am glad that you represent Canada in thinking that Iran simply wants "peaceful intent" nuclear power and has no grandiose visions of building nuclear weapons. Having said that, can you and Canada go to Europe and assure France, Germany, the UK, etc. while making a detour to assure Israel? Maybe you and Canada can go see Muammar Qaddafi in Libya and point out the hypocrisy of how the UN, etc. dismantled his nuclear program, but is hesitant to do likewise with Iran's.

seekerof

[edit on 19-4-2006 by Seekerof]

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I think the whole enrichment debate is misguided. Iran's president is crazy but not stupid, and he wouldn't open his mouth unless he has something under the table. I have friends from the UAE, Israel, Saudi Arabia, and Kuwait who tell me Iran already has nuclear weapons, not only that, they are already positioned for the Mullahs. Now you can never prove that (forget it) but it look's obvious to me, Iran is led by people I dislike, but some of them are smart. Of course you could say Ahmadenijad is a CIA pasty, but I believe that's crap (if anybody has proof, please post it).

[edit on 19-4-2006 by Nakash]

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Edit: Sorry guys I didn't know that I was replying to a post from page one.

I should look more at the page numbers and dates.

I think nations have more to fear from a low tech attack. As an icbm would be an instant calling card that would get the bad guy's country hammered. "Bad guys" are far more likely to smuggle the device across an open border or onboard one of many uninspected cargo ships. This is why many arguments for sdi seem to fall flat. Plus I think with the proliferation IT - nuclear nations have no chance in hell of ever stopping the spread of the technology to make thermonuclear weapons.

[edit on 20-4-2006 by grantrl78]

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
They have no nuclear abilities yet, they enriched something like less than 3%.

Fuel rods are 8%, bombs are 98% enriched. just so you know.

so Iran are making idle threats? or have at least said 'we intend to make nuclear bombs?'

I do feel its ironic, first it was WMDs with Iraq and nothing was found and now this?
Is it another strategy? I honestly dont know what to think about this...

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantrl78
Ahhh the threat of global thermonuclear war. Reminds me of when I was young.
God I thought this stuff was a relic of the past.

It is like a bad dream.

[edit on 18-4-2006 by grantrl78]
someone needs to make a movie called "Wargames 2006"

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Yep.
mainly because Hollywood hates to spend money on original stories.

No crap - I remember sitting in bed at night as a kid in the dark - hearing planes fly over my parents house and thinking that it was the start of ww3. I think it was because i watched that movie testament when I was very young. It made me fear like hell when a tv show was interrupted by a news bulletin. I was like - where is the bright flash. I swear that crap warped my mind.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:34 AM
link   
If Iran has suitcase nukes, why are they bothering with nuclear power?

If Iran really does have suitcase nukes, invading will be by far the most stupid thing Dubya's ever done. And that's really saying something. Anyone put it past him? I don't.

Let's start doing yoga now, so when the time comes we really can put our heads between our legs and kiss our asses goodbye.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join