It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why can't we respect the Military even If we Disagree with them!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghost

Originally posted by donwhite
I have a slight problem, Mr Ghost, with mercenary soldiers as in the all volunteer armed forces.

Also, there is the issue of the unofficial "Back Door" Draft!

In case you aren't familiar with a back door draft, it is a policy that allows the Defense Department to extend the enlistments of soldiers to maintain combat strength forces. Some people who completed their service obligations were told that they couldn't be discharged because of the need for soldiures.

He was retired from the National Guard for a few years, and they recalled him to active dutiy!

Don't be fooled, things aren't always what they appear to be!

Tim

Maybe your friend didn't read his enlistment papers very well.... it's pointed out when you sign up that you're active for 4 years and inactive for 4 years. Meaning at any time they need you, you have to go! I read it and almost didn't sign up, but then said, what the heck, let's go.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Hello Friends:

Me for one I DO respect the military, not the Very high ranquing
officer but the regular "Grunt", the foot soldier all over the armed
forces.
We/They have like every body out there, have a job to do. We go and
we serve and if you don't want to kill fine!! I don't have a problem with
that just don't fire your rifle then!! But do cover and protect your partner allways!!

The Military is not for every one we get order that some times may be inmoral or unfare but it has to be done.
My uncle served in Viet-nam in 67 and he told me that his sargent and him
saw this kid runing toward a group of US MARINES and my uncle sargent scremed
to shoot tha son of a bitch my uncle hit him once with his m-16 and the kid blew
up!!. Obviusly the kid was a walking bomb to be detonated when he was among the Marines. He had to kill a kid but he save the soldiers lives.
Almost 40 yrs latter my uncle still have tears in his eyes when he remembers
what he had to do.

For me is a duty for us to respect our fighting men and women.
I rember something my company commander told me once in Boot Camp
"IF YOU WANT PEACE YOU HAVE TO PREPARE FOR WAR!!!"

So have you thank a soldier today?? They deserve and need our help and gratitud.

[edit on 5/16/2006 by warriorwolfpr]

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Hello all,

My experience with war: Both my father and my father-in-law were American prisoners of war during World War II in Germany. I think my father (not a tall man) weighed about 95 pounds when the war ended. Neither man could speak much about their experiences later, ever. (This was way before anyone understood post-traumatic stress disorder.)

Peace: Here is the best short discussion on peace I've seen so far. It is a teaching by H.E. Chagdud Rinpoche. Title is: The Power of Peace ...enjoy.

It is my wish that the spiritual power of peace will touch every person on this earth, radiating from a deep peace within our own minds, across political and religious barriers, across the barriers of ego and self-righteousness. Our first task as peacemakers is to clear away our internal conflicts caused by ignorance, anger, grasping, jealousy, and pride. With the guidance of a spiritual teacher, this purification of our own minds can teach us the very essence of peacemaking. We should seek an inner peace so pure, so stable, that we cannot be moved to anger by those who live and profit by war, or to self-grasping and fear by those who confront us with contempt and hatred.

Extraordinary patience is necessary to work toward world peace, and the source of that patience is inner peace. Such peace enables us to see clearly that war and suffering are outer reflections of the mind's poisons. The essential difference between peacemakers and those who wage war is that peacemakers have discipline and control over egotistical anger, grasping, jealousy, and pride whereas warmakers, out of ignorance, cause these poisons to manifest in the world. If you truly understand this, you will never allow yourself to be defeated from within or without.

In Tibetan Buddhism, the peacock is a symbol for the bodhisattva, the awakened spiritual warrior who works for the enlightenment of all beings. A peacock is said to eat poisonous plants, but to transform the poison in the gorgeous colors of its feathers. It does not poison itself. In the same way, we who advocate world peace must not poison ourselves with anger. Regard with equanimity the powerful, worldly people who control the war machines. Do your best to convince them of the necessity of peace, but be constantly aware of your state of mind. If you become angry, pull back. If you are able to act without anger, perhaps you will penetrate the terrible delusion that perpetuates war and its hellish suffering.

From the clear space of your own inner peace, your compassion must extend to include all who are involved in war. Both the soldiers, whose intention is to benefit but who instead cause suffering and death and thus are caught by the terrible karma of killing, and the civilians who are wounded, killed, or forced into exile as refugees. True compassion is aroused by suffering of every sort, by the suffering of every being; it is not tied to right or wrong, attachment or aversion.

The work of peace is a spiritual path in itself, a means to develop the perfect qualities of mind and to test them against urgent necessity, extreme suffering and death. Do not be afraid to give your time, energy, and support.

[edit on 16-5-2006 by FutureLibrarian]

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
Maybe your friend didn't read his enlistment papers very well.... it's pointed out when you sign up that you're active for 4 years and inactive for 4 years. Meaning at any time they need you, you have to go! I read it and almost didn't sign up, but then said, what the heck, let's go.

Oh he read them! He had completed his inactive period, and he was still recalled! I'm talking adleast 8 years inactive. I wouldn't have raised the point if it was that simple. Come on, give me some credit!

Tim

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I dont disrespect the military. Quite the opposite. I respect and think highly of the military as an orginization with great capabilities.

Its the miserable excuses for human trash who deploy the military in their stupid games of power that are deserving only of my hatred and contempt.

The military is a tool. A powerful tool. A tool that can be used for great good or great evil.

it is the responsibility of those in power to employ wisdom when using this tool. And so far, they have not. They have used our military wastefully and foolishly on petty and unfruitful enterprises.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join