its P.I.N. not pin number : GRRRRR

page: 1

join

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 04:11 AM
link   
OK , the latesst systematic bout of ignorance i must rail about is the insistance of dumb gits in shops and other venues who insist on asking me for my " pin number " when i amke a transaction .

it is a P.I.N. - it stands for PERSONAL IDETICICATION NUMBER

get that ??? NUMBER , i hope some of the guilty are reading this and now realise why i get soo tee`d off when they ask me for my "personal identification number , number "

this is a pin :

maybe i should cary a huge one and stab the miscreats with it , till the get the hint

so far in the last 2 weeks only 1 , yup ONE person , out of the 27 transactions i have noted since march 25th has actually got it right and asked me to enter my P.I.N.

a big hurray for the young lady @ the railway station
not only is she smart , she is cute too :x

to eVeryone else , especially tesco , be very afraid if you see me with a sharp object
, tesco are by far the worst offenders - 12 transactions with 9 different cashiers and all asked for " pin number " GGGGRRRR

ok rant over

PS - for any one who is thinging what the heck is he on about , its the ` chip and PIN ` security system , now mandatory for all credit and debit dransactions in the UK where equipment is availiable .

this site :chip and PIN explains it all

and if you are fortunate enough to live in a " chip and PIN " free zone , i am green with envy

i HATE the stupid PIN

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 11:31 AM
link   
You are correct, sir. Do you mean P.I.N. written or pronounced out loud?

Because some people say "nasa" for National Aeronautics and Space Administration, or "asap" for As Soon As Possible, etc..

Who actually spell each letters L.A.S.E.R? Everybody says "laser" for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation.

That's alot of people to stab.

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I know what you meant. It's ATM, not ATM machine (Automatic Teller Machine).

Same for VIN--Vehicle Identification Number.

That drives me crazy too!

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 07:04 PM
link   
LOL, I'm guilty of all the above. I never really thought about it... it's just that's how other people speak and I pick it up.

Thanks for the enlightenment. Now it's going to bother me every time someone says PIN number. :bnghd:

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 06:06 AM
link   
People know when other people refer to needles or personal identification numbers,. It's like saying I'm like you but that doesn't mean I like you. Wow would you look at that, the same word 3 times meaning 3 different things.

PIN number FTW!

[edit on 12-4-2006 by Panzeroth]

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Good rant dude....

It irritates me also. The best (worst) example for me though is SAM missile. Grrrrrrr

[edit on 16/4/2006 by 5ick8oy]

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 10:02 PM
link   
don't forget the NIC Card brainiacs.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Acronyms were created for a reason - to shorten the name of something. Most people don't say each letter, they just say the acronym.

Ex: Laser, Nasa, Pin, Vin, ESPN

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   
just to clarify things -- i know what acrobyms are , what they mean etc etc etc , i have acronymys and abreviations coming out of my butt .

the rant is against idiots who ask me for :

" your PIN number "

its the redundant last word , ` number ` whivch pissess mee off .

my " experiment " has now been going for almost 5 weeks - and now only 4 out of over 100 have correctly asked me :

" please enter your pin "

that said , please carry on

PS - Kudos to the posters who used my thread to vent thier distain for those who reffer to such things as :

ATM machines

VIN numbers

SAM missiles

and other such redundancies

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
The ARIA (Australian Record Inustry Awards) awards is another one.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Oh, I see what you're talking about. How they are using the full acronym and adding the last word on, basically repeating it.

Personal Identification Number Number, when they ask for your PIN number.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
It is redundant and stems from ignorance and laziness. And if you try to correct someone or explain it to them, they get offended or give you "whatever."

top topics

join