It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much government were you taught in public schools?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I just wanted to see what other peoples experiences were about the teaching of government in public schools across the United States? I myself only had a semester of it in my senior year. Isn't that kind of pathetic? It was pretty much as basic as you could get, in fact I really don't remember too much of it. All the political learnings I got were on my own.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Yeah, I had about the same amount of teaching in High School. Although I took a "college" level course which was "advanced" and really didn't do too much more than just make the college textbook a resource. Even though we went over the constitution Article by Article, there wasn't too much we couldn't have learned than I did from my History class. If that isn't sad, I don't know what is...

[edit on 4/10/2006 by Sir Solomon]

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 02:33 PM
link   
We had gov half a year, economics the other half. In retrospect I feel it was woefully inadequete. Im not sure knowledge is what they want to instill though..they usually harvest their votes thru propaganda and fancy advertisements. Catch phrases, sound bytes. I mean if we really knew how our goverment worked it would make their jobs harder..we'd be an ornery bunch. I think it would be interesting to maybe take feild trips to the local political party headquarters and talk with folks there exposing them to multiple points of veiw, libertarians have to be included. Mark my words the day will come
we just arent ready for that yet but one day, one day

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   
U.S. History my Sophomore year.

U.S. History and world History my Junior year.

Economics my Senior year.

All were year-long classes, not semester classes.

JDub

top topics

join