It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vacuum of space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Hello, my question has to deal with the vacuum of space. Now I understand that space is a vacuum and as an example shown many times in films and television when a pressurized room is exposed to space, all the contents are sucked out till equilibrium is reached. Now my question is what happens to the oxygen (or gas) that has been sucked out into space? Where does it go? Is it pulled in every direction or do pockets of the gas form in space and freeze?

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
waht will happen is that the particles will disperse to try to fill as much space as possible. Gravity, however, will pull the particles to the closest mass. This will most likely be the shuttle, or something.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Fun question, with a really strange answer.

The thing is, in our universe, there is no such thing as a "true" vacuum. There's always something left inside it. Take any pocket of space you like, and put a bottle over it. Although much of the bottle will be empty, there'll still be some molecules of space dust, or hydrogen or oxygen or some kind of atomic structure somewhere in there.

So, what happens when you release gas into space?

Well, first off, the gas is going to expand as fast as it possible can. The molecules in air got a lot of energy, and the more energy you got, the less dense you get (water and a few others are an exception due to their unique crystaline forms). With all that energy, and so much space, the molecules will bump into each other and send each other hurtling away from each other. This continues on and on until they stop bumping into each other (because the pocket of "air" has expanded sufficiently) as often. This is how their "pressure" in space drops.

Now, once they hit light, all that energy from the light is going to be transfered to fewer molecules/area (since the molecules are spreading out). This gives them even MORE energy and turns them into a plasma. They bump into each other more often now, and speed up this "explosion" of air - though the explosion has lost any force it may have originally had (just not enough molecules to sufficiently push on anything).

Once ionized into a plasma, the molecules will them likely form into part of the solar wind, being carried by other plasmas, charges, and electromagnetic changes in the path away from the sun.

And that is what happens when air is exposed to the vacuum in space.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   
interesting. I didn't know exactly what happened, I just assumed they stayed there, somewhere. Thanks for clearing it up for me Yarium.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 12:03 AM
link   
space really isn't a vaccuum. it's all in your point of reference.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   
The Vacuum of space has lots of energy.

Cosmic rays, electrons from the sun, mag fields from the sun, perhaps
electron currents going through the earth causing it to spin.

But the earth has many electrons and a good source as every power
station is tapping into it.

Hydrogen alone has space, H2 molecule has space in it and just
read the the recombination gives off more energy than the
disassociation. I must have been asleep in that class.

The mag air gap has energy which shows up when blocked.
This may be from reading about Tesla, his world was electronic all right.

top topics

join