It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking ban claims first casualites!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I'm quite annoyed at this. An old man in Glasgow fell and tripped on the pavement, whilst he went out for a cigarette and now I read today that a female nurse got stabbed to death when she went off to smoke a cigarette. :bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

I'm not sure if a smoking room would have prevented these deaths but I dunno. Perhaps it's just random things that happen with the old familier chaos. If there was a smoking room, she'd possibly be still alive. Who knows though right?

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
yeah we have a smoking ban as well here in the Twin Cities of Minnesota USA. I don't even smoke and I think it's dumb, especially in pubs.

It's really sad that people are getting hurt when they go out to have a cigarette, however i suppose it's just as easy for them to trip or get attacked while they are in the establishment as well.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 12:58 PM
link   
The odds of them dying from a cigarette are probably alot higher than being mugged or stabbed.

Smokers who are complaining because they can not enjoy a good drag while in the bar sipping on their cold one is beyond words for me. These are killing millions of people a year, if your stupid enough to be smoking them then fine, kill yourself. But the rest of the people in the bar who probably are doing enough damage to themselves as it is, do not need this added smoke.

It is your right to smoke, do it as often as you please. But it is my right to not smoke, and its my right to beable to go out and not have to breath it in. Its not just you thats smoking the cigarette, its everybody around you.

The smoking ban Did not cause this death.

I'm quite annoyed at this. An old man in Glasgow fell and tripped on the pavement, whilst he went out for a cigarette

Probably had something to do with the alcohol he was consuming inside.

I'm not sure if a smoking room would have prevented these deaths

This is the answer to the problem. Non-smokers should not have to breath in the toxins, however smokers having to run outside every single time can be a pain as well. If an establishment can create a smoking room, it would benefit both sides.

If a place does not have a designated smoking area however, they should have to take it outside.

[edit on 10-4-2006 by chissler]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
If you need your nicco fix that bad...

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I can understand banning smoking in a lot of places such as restraunts and other places. I just think it's silly to ban it in bars. Most people I know go to bars to drink and smoke.

A smoking room within the establishment could be an agreeable solution though.

And snuff isn't really a safer alternative. It's still cancer causing, and to me it's even more gross. All the spitting and wads of saliva-soaked tabacco that chewers spit out...ewwww!

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I think non-smoking bars are just rediculous. I mean if the demand for non-smoking bars were high enough, I'm sure someone would open a non-smoking bar. Not being able to smoke in bars is like not being able to get drunk in them... oh wait, they're arresting people in Texas for that too.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowflake_obsidian
I can understand banning smoking in a lot of places such as restraunts and other places. I just think it's silly to ban it in bars. Most people I know go to bars to drink and smoke.

A smoking room within the establishment could be an agreeable solution though.

And snuff isn't really a safer alternative. It's still cancer causing, and to me it's even more gross. All the spitting and wads of saliva-soaked tabacco that chewers spit out...ewwww!

uhh but i dont have to inhale someone elses snuff smoke.

carry yourself a spit cup or a 20 oz soda bottle redneck it up lol

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kruel
I think non-smoking bars are just rediculous. I mean if the demand for non-smoking bars were high enough, I'm sure someone would open a non-smoking bar. Not being able to smoke in bars is like not being able to get drunk in them... oh wait, they're arresting people in Texas for that too.

Saving non-smokers from lung cancer is utterly ridiculous. I mean what are these people thinking?

Im all with you on this one.[/sarcasm]

Try telling a non-smoker who is dying from lung cancer that this is a stupid idea. Yeah smoking is not the only way to contract this disease but surely is a leading contributer.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
This place where I used to work (and where my husband's worked since 1989) recently added on a smoking room. There's a huge exhaust fan in the ceiling.

Something like that would be good.

I'm 33 and I've never smoked, and I HATE when people smoke around me and/or blow smoke in my face. However, I just don't go to establishments where I'd be bothered by smoke.

How about going halvsies? Some establishments can permit it, some can ban it. For example there are two Burger Kings in my town. One can permit it, one can ban it.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MacDonagh
I'm quite annoyed at this. An old man in Glasgow fell and tripped on the pavement, whilst he went out for a cigarette and now I read today that a female nurse got stabbed to death when she went off to smoke a cigarette. :bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

Seriously, you cant blame the smoke ban for someone getting stabed to death when she went outside to smoke. That's probably the worst argument for anything I've ever read, slap me in the face if it was supposed to be a joke or else I hope you never hurt yourself on some kind of object that does not have warning labels on it. You could get rich.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 07:05 PM
link   
And for crying out loud, smoking itself has killed WAY more than 2 people througout the years. Ban smoking instead.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Lol, and you're mood at the moment is "Beer". I suppose that has never killed anyone.

If someone wants to kill themself by smoking, that's their choice. It should not be banned anymore than alcohol, perscription drugs, bungee jumping, driving during the holiday season, flying on American Airlines, etc.

As for bars, people go there not only to drink, but to smoke. A bar without smoking is hardly a bar at all. It's a long-held tradition that people smoke in bars. If they don't like smoke, they don't have to go (and there are clubs with non-smoking sections).

Going back to the original post, I wouldn't go so far as to blame the mentioned deaths on those who would have a non-smoking environment. Though smoking rooms would be a lot nicer than outlawing it completely.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 08:39 PM
link   
beer?
i've yet to have 2nd hand beer
is that like when someone barfs?

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Second hand beer..!

If we move the smokers back indoors, who will make all the UFO reports?

[edit on 10-4-2006 by spacedoubt]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   
but thats after consumingbeer

imo it be roxor if i could get drunk from being around other drunks.

mmm the gout.

[edit on 10-4-2006 by Lysergic]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Okay...

I'm a smoker, trying to quit (well, I've cut down. I used to smoke about 20 a day now I smoke about 5 a day). I'm all for this smoking ban. I don't agree with letting non-smokers inhale my dirty cigarette smoke. Hundreds of people are stabbed or trip over pavement slabs every week... just because two reports of such incidents have been published does not mean they would have been prevented if they had a smoke room, etc. What about the non-smokers who are murdered?

There is a greater percentage of people being hurt while they were out walking than those who were going out for a smoke.

Just my two pennies.
(I wish I was richer)

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kruel
Lol, and you're mood at the moment is "Beer". I suppose that has never killed anyone.

It was just something random I typed there and didn't affect my post.

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Heh. I was bloody angry that it happened. They've got the bloke though. An 18 year old has been arrested, though no-one knows why he killed the nurse in a wig.
Probebly a revenge attack cause she was a dirty smoker. Still, glad that bloke got caught.

top topics

join