It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Specter to Bush and Cheney: Make the Record Clear

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Senator Arlen Specter (R-PA) called for the President and Vice-President to present their position on the CIA leak scandal. On Sunday, Mr. Specter, Senate Judiciary Chair, called for Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney to get their side out in the open so that there are no more questions asked. At this point, both American leaders have not responded to this charge.

news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON -President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney should speak publicly about their involvement in theCIA leak case so people can understand what happened, a leading Republican senator said Sunday.

"We ought to get to the bottom of it so it can be evaluated, again, by the American people," said Sen. Arlen Specter (news, bio, voting record) of Pennsylvania, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

In a federal court filing last week, the prosecutor in the case said Cheney's former chief of staff, I. Lewis Libby, testified before a grand jury that he was authorized by Bush, through Cheney, to leak information from a classified document that detailed intelligence agencies' conclusions about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This story is a follow-up on the initial report on I. Scooter Libby's accusation of Mr. Bush's involvement in the CIA leak case.

I usually do not agree with Mr. Specter on many things, but I have to say that this is a courageous move. I find Mr. Specter's call surprising. Does this mean that not all Republicans agree with their leaders' handling of the case? Certainly, Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney should clear themselves on this matter. But, if they do not respond to their colleague on the right side of the aisle, this might prove that they have more to hide than the public thinks.

[edit on 9-4-2006 by ceci2006]

[edit on 10-4-2006 by ceci2006]

[edit on 14-4-2006 by asala]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Does Specter actually expect the truth to help them in this case????

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Bush will be speaking in reference to the leak soon today, i beleive.

Think we should beleive anything he says?

Seriously, that one out of twenty people will beleive it and teach us we are wrong.

[edit on 10-4-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Appearantly, Bush did say he did authorize the declassifying of intelligence.

Bush said he had authorized the release of the documents because some Americans questioned his reasons for going to war.

"So I wanted people to see the truth," he said. "And I thought it made sense for people to see the truth."

snip

Bush had authorized the release of portions in the National Intelligence Estimate.

But...

The court documents do not suggest Bush approved the leaking of the agent's identity.

www.cnn.com...

So if he authorized it, I guess that means it's not illegal.

So it's ok to leak some intelligence, but don't leak information about tapping phones or illegal prison camps.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
It looks bad if they continue to ignore the current situation. They must present their side regardless if it is the truth or not to avoid more criticism on this matter. Of course its my honet opinion that bush doesnt care and this is his last term, which IMO can make a dangerous situation.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   
The intelligence leaks, I don't think, were the big issue, the big isssue was who leaked Plame's name.

Also, as far as the president being able to 'leak stuff', thats bogus. He can declassify stuff, sure, but thats not 'leaking' it.

If it was so perfectly an honest thing for him to do, why pretend someone else did it in the first place/?????

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   
For everyone's information, this is supplemental material about how the media sees the CIA leak case. I find them fascinating.

This is an article from today's report about whether Bush or Cheney will talk:

mediamatters.org
Ignoring Bush administration officials' willingness to discuss the CIA leak investigation, involving the outing of former CIA agent Valerie Plame, when it serves their purpose, NBC News White House correspondent Kelly O'Donnell falsely claimed, on the April 10 edition of NBC's Today, that "[e]ven days after the president became publicly entangled in the CIA leak case, his long-standing, no-comment policy has held." O'Donnell was referring to the disclosure by special counsel Patrick J. Fitzgerald that Vice President Dick Cheney's former chief of staff I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby testified that he was told by Cheney that President Bush authorized the disclosure of portions of a classified National Intelligence Estimate (NIE) to rebut former ambassador Joseph C. Wilson IV's claim that the administration "twisted" the intelligence to make the case for war in Iraq.

O'Donnell's claim that Bush's "no-comment policy" on the CIA leak case "has held" overlooks several instances in which Bush -- or other administration officials -- have discussed the investigation.

As well as this article on April 7, 2006:

mediamatters.org
On the April 6 edition of Fox News' Special Report with Brit Hume, chief White House correspondent Carl Cameron adopted a false claim by Victoria Toensing, a Republican attorney and former deputy assistant attorney general in the Reagan administration, that President Bush's alleged authorization of I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, then-vice presidential chief of staff, to leak of portions of a classified National Intelligence Estimate (NIE) "has nothing whatsoever to do with the Valerie Plame matter."

Libby is accused of giving false statements to federal investigators regarding his role in leaking the identity of Plame, a then-undercover CIA agent, to reporters. Introducing the statement by Toensing, whom he identified only as an "expert[]," Cameron reported: "In court documents, special prosecutor [Patrick J.] Fitzgerald doesn't question the president's authority to declassify the NIE, which experts point out is not related to Libby's perjury and obstruction case." In fact, the very court documents Cameron cited state that the NIE leak is "relevant to show the importance that defendant [Libby] and his boss [Cheney] placed on the conversation concerning which he [Libby] later testified," potentially undermining Libby's defense that his false testimony was a result of simply forgetting about the conversations.

[edit on 10-4-2006 by ceci2006]

new topics

top topics

join