It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans can't wear US flag in the US!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 02:07 AM
link   
This is happening to a massive extent back here in Britain. We were told during football tournaments (i.e the world cup) not to wave flags etc, and that any home with a flag in say the garden, would have it removed. This, on top of issues like not referring to christmas so as not to offend non-christians. Im not religious but c'mon now. I could go on and on, but will finish with this sadly all too true example of political correctness gone mad in good ol' Blighty. The nursery rhyme " Baa Baa black sheep " has had to be altered in our schools. Kids cannot refer to the "Black sheep" anymore as it could be deemed racist. Instead they have to sing "rainbow sheep"
, which in my eyes seems to condone extreme drug abuse!!!

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 02:25 AM
link   
This is yet another example of why I feel it is becoming increasingly incumbent upon human beings to create laws (whether federal law, or something as seemingly simple as student dress codes) which are more complex and flexible, or develop a means of amending laws which is quicker, and more organic in nature.

I visualize laws as being something like polygonal graphics. If you have too few polygons (provisions and/or conditions in this case), the amount of flexibility a model is capable of without colliding with itself, having clipping issues, etc. is very limited. If, however, you have more organic, complex models consisting of a greater number of polygons, then you can move in lots of different ways, modes, positions, etc. without encountering those difficulties. Add skinning and you’ve got an even more flexible model.

Rules are finite guidelines applicable to finite snapshots of specific situations that might not be consistent in the long term, or even a short period from the time they're written. Inevitably, situations where square pegs get forced into round holes are going to result when blanket regulations try to cover too broad an array of contexts, and human beings are complex enough to break that sort of mold just on their own, let alone when interacting. We either need to come up with rules and laws that take into account a far, far larger number of possibilities and scenarios, each being at least subtlety different, or we need to come up with a faster, more natural means of amending existing laws that isn't based on competition for power and self-interest.

For the record, I'm what people would shoehorn into the "liberal" category (though I loathe being categorized), I am anti-war, and I am far too idealistic for my own good, but even I think that this was wrong. A person should be allowed to wear something that important to them in school, particularly given the fact that they have loved ones in harm's way apparently. The rules should be changed (made more complex and flexible) to take the context and intent of the students into consideration, in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Well, in the Netherlands you are immediatly labled a right winged extremist nazi KKK member...since being proud of your country is synonymous for racist in their opinion while people that immigrate to our country wear all sorts of flags and crap from THEIR country and THAT isn't racist? gotta love double standards huh?

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Tell me this isn’t happening again? What part of the word illegal don't you understudy? I have no problem with regulated legal immigration, and yes we were founded on legal immigration. We should, on our own terms legally take in the less fortunate people and help them improve their lives in the US. However we do not owe some great burden to the world that should make us allow anyone to come here and violate our laws and sovereignty. Why should someone who lives in Mexico be allowed to break our laws and then be rewarded with all of our rights and benefits, when someone from Yugoslavia has to fill out a form and wait several years before he even gets a chance to come here legally, is that fair? Once again, people should not confuse legal and illegal immigration with each other.

[edit on 9-4-2006 by WestPoint23]

I'd be happy to have an answer for this, While These "Illegals" wait for years to become American citizens, the portion of time they wait in their own countries they are subjected to food and healthcare shortages, and are most likely to fall ill or starve while they wait.

Some of out Foreign Wars Budget could be better spent revamping the whole immigration process, allowing it to facilitate a streamlined entrance into the us as a documented worker, and not having to wait, and wait, and wait....

Actually, we were not founded 100% on legal immigration. Before Naturalization, and the INS were established the methods to document Immigrants were shoddy to nothing at best. After the founding of the country, people like former Hessian soldiers who were loyal to Britain became technically Illegal due to being loyal to the Old Throne. The Irish and Italian Immigrants who made their homes in America in the 1800's to the 1900's didn't always have the documentation to settle here legally and lived out their entire lives as residents, but not citizens. Not every immigrant had a pleasant line waiting experience at Ellis Island, some just jumped off the boat at local American dock, and settled into an ethnically oriented neighboorhood, pumped out their kids and "poof" they couldn't leave (even if they wanted too) because their kids were now citizens.

How soon we forget that...

So I say I'm cool with all of this Immigration, Illegal and Not. Ask any illegal Immigrant if they had a choice to have come here by legal means, they'd say yes, but the time it takes to wait, is not worth the time I lose to better myself and my family, as we slowly suffer from going without.

If we made Immigration reasonable and cut the beauracratic red-tape, we'd have a huge turnaround in Legal Vs. Illegal.

-ADHDsux4me

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith
For example Piggy-Banks have been banned from all banks/building societies because it may insult our Muslim immigrants.

I dunno about your 2nd example but your first example of the ban would just seem to me as being good business sense. Why insult the one putting food on your table? That would be like offering a free Shrimp and Bacon gift certificate in an area that has a major population of Hasidics. Your patrons would hate you.

Pie

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I know no one will read this but i have to say that after reading this it makes me sick,. everyone who bans an american flag or punishes someone for publickly displaying it should be charged as being a traitor and kicked out of the country. Its not fair that the veiws of the few should outway the rights and freedoms of the many. its sickens me to hear that kids were supsended for wearing shirts with a falg or marines corp emblem on them for family over in iraq. i was over there and i would be proud to have someone wear something like that to reprsent us over there./ its like cutting the legs out from under the troops by killing the patriotic movements here in america. let amercia be free and not a facist government of political stupidity.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by handofdespair
its like cutting the legs out from under the troops by killing the patriotic movements here in america. let amercia be free and not a facist government of political stupidity.

It's "patriotic movements" that are being used to fuel our already-existing fascist government of political stupidity... you couldn't ask for a better example then the current administration.

I'd love to be "free" from people who wave that blood-stained flag in my face, telling me it stands for freedom and liberty and all that. It's pure nonnsense. I'm an American citizen and frankly, I'm embarassed of our flag. How many unjust and immoral battles has that flag flown in, since its creation? An entire continent's worth of indigenous people were all but exterminated in plain view of "Old Glory." That was hundreds of years ago... we still haven't learned. How many innocent Iraqis have been killed since 2003 (and even earlier if you count all the airstrikes over the years) while every day since 9/11, we're all expected to make love to this piece of fabric.

Also, handofdespair, you claim "it's not fair that the views of the few should outway the rights and freedoms of the many." I couldn't agree more... Bush was "elected" by about 35% of the nation's total number of eligible voters.

[edit on 10-4-2006 by firebat]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 07:14 AM
link   

I'm an American citizen and frankly, I'm embarassed of our flag.

You may be an American citizen but your certainly not an American, and to tell you the truth I’m ashamed that you live in this great country. The Flag is more then a piece of cloth it’s a symbol for everything we stand for, people have died over that flag and for some to ban Americans from displaying it in public and then get support for it is really a terrible thing.

When will the insanity end? Should we ban all symbols that represent this great country because god forbid it might offend someone? Should we ban American's from singing the National Anthem if someone begins using it to intimidate others?

[edit on 10-4-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 07:26 AM
link   
You have voted WestPoint23 for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

ive heard there is a string of protest across the States today, i think its insane that a Nation cannot fly its own Flag.

After you had that "disagreement" with us Brits, you fought for your independence and, in the end, went from the original 13 coloneys of Britain, to a Republic. Then, after a Civil war, fought to have the nation united again.

i still cannot understand why you would want to sell your history out

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 07:32 AM
link   
This is total BS.

There is no problem associated with flying a flag or wearing one draped over one's body. At least not with the police.

I am proud of my flag. What it represented for hundreds of years.

I am ashamed of the government, but not the flag.

One is animate and the other is inanimate. There is a distinction.

What fault is it of the flag that we are now faced with unsavory people in the White House?

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Dont hate the Flag, hate the Government

thats what i say

(which i just made up lol)

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   
in the netherlands we aren't allowed to wear the dutch flag
because of tensions with foreigners who claim wearing it is racist and they may wear there flags in our country.

even then it is forbidden to wear a flag because only police and militairy personel may wear it .

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   
MarkLuitzen - I fear we are on the same track as you have been. Someday soon, it will be illegal (not just in schools, but anywhere) to display the flag or other shows of patriotism because it will be deemed 'offensive' or politically incorrect.

My Rights vs Your Rights

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Well folks I’m just about ready to explode, apparently citizens in the United States of America are not allowed to wear shirt's with the US flags.

The school has since reversed it's policy. Students can wear the US flag if they want.

www.thedenverchannel.com...

Guess someone brought the first ammendment to his attention.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Good find shots, this should have never happened in the first place, I'm glad that these students and the community involved didn't take this assault on their rights laying down. And
to the state for enforcing its laws and regulations.

WESTMINSTER, Colo. -- Students of Shaw Heights Middle School in Westminster will return to school Friday without a flag ban.

Deb Haviland of Adams County School District 50 said late Thursday that the school lifted the ban because of "exemplary behavior of the students" in the past week. It was also lifted because of a statement made by Colorado Attorney General John Suthers warning the state's school districts can't bar students from reasonably displaying United States flags.

Last week, Shaw Heights principal Myla Shepherd began disallowing students from displaying flags, overtly political clothing, camouflaged clothing, banners and bandanas there.

Link

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 10-4-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Yay! Maybe the world isn't ending after all!

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Good find shots, this should have never happened in the first place, I'm glad that these students and the community involved didn't take this assault on their rights laying down. And
to the state for enforcing its laws and regulations.

There is just one problem as I see it now. Those who are non Americans are going to use this to their advantage and I do not like that part simply because so many of them are here illegally.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   

There is just one problem as I see it now. Those who are non Americans are going to use this to their advantage and I do not like that part simply because so many of them are here illegally.

Well, its funny because if they take that right away from them the ACLU will be up in arms screaming that these illegal immigrants have a right to waive any flag they want. However you wont hear a peep out of the ACLU about the fact that they are here illegally and about the fact that they have broken the law which means they aren't even supposed to be here in the first place! Ah, but what can one do? In this world you have to take it one battle at a time.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 09:31 AM
link   
The school banned all flags. "All Flags" includes things like the mexican flag, the italian flag, and the american flag. The school was just trying to be fair.

Its a school, they have to maintain order. That means you can't protest in the school, and you can't agitate, even if its 'patriotic' agitation.

Besides, its a flag. Its a nice symbol, but I think that the founders of the republic would be scared of little kids running around worshipping the flag.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Besides, its a flag. Its a nice symbol, but I think that the founders of the republic would be scared of little kids running around worshipping the flag.

No its not just a Flag its much more that that, its the manifestation and symbol of everything we stand for. I think the founders would have been petrified to find out Americans were being denied their right to display the US flag.

I see nothing wrong with these pictures, do you?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join