It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans can't wear US flag in the US!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   
We really need to stop the "offending people" policy we have here in America. People are going to be offended no matter what you do. This situation reminds me of the "Holiday Tree" conspiracy.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by smallpeeps
BH, how'd you get a camera into Garth Brooks' closet?!

[This line added to comply with the ATS no-one-line-post policy. Carry on.]

And here I thought it was from Toby Keith's closet.
You know the song "Red, White, Blue"

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 11:12 PM
link   
All "colors" should be banned from School regardless. By "Colors" I mean any thing that signify what Tribe that particular person belongs too.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
All "colors" should be banned from School regardless. By "Colors" I mean any thing that signify what Tribe that particular person belongs too.

Sorry my friend, but that would be a serious violation of the first ammendment. I think that the freedom of expression in schools should be protected as long as it doesnt interfere with the educational environment or is considered publicly indecent(nudity, curse words ect.) Also I dont see this as being part of any bigger play here. Considering there have been quite a few incidents, but they seem to be isolated. But I also agree with some others that political correctness will be the death of our national identity(being the mutts we are), but not the death of the nation.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 11:51 PM
link   
You don't see a bunch of Flag Waving American's and a bunch of Flag Waving Mexicans getting into it with each other on a school campus as a disruption?

How bout a bunch of Flag Waving Nazi's and Flag Waving Jews? Does freedom of speech extend to freedom to express that speech in whatever manner one chooses? I hope not....

What about a bunch of Crips and Bloods? How is that any different? The bandanna's are the flags of their tribe.

One we see as OK, the other we see as Not OK. Both can lead to violence, reprisals, and even death.

I mentioned two examples of Tribalism, both of which can produce a very disruptive learning environment in certain situations. I'm not saying that this sort of speech should be banned across the board, just in places where it serves no purpose(like in a Middle School for example
).

[edit on 9-4-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Text Red

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I can still wear my Candian flag
. But seriously my southern nighbors don't let your government tell you you can't wear YOUR flag in YOUR country because of illegal foreigners.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Let me ask you this one question, and please answer honestly.

Replace the two groups with some other group say Protestants and Catholics, or some other Tribal groups. If they started gathering and causing disruptions and started by shouting insults at each other, at the same place, at the same time in a venue where it would be incredibly disruptive to say Students for instance.

What would you do? Would you allow the situation to escalate into violence before you took action, would you break up the gathering before the insult phase ended to avoid violence? Or would you make it so that they cannot gather within a certain distance from certain locations(eg a Ban) so the trouble doesn't start anywhere near the Campus.

It may not prevent it, but at least it's elsewhere, hopefully bothering the local politicians more then the students(and thats the people that should be targetted, not Schools, you want to protest rising tuitions of public schools? Go protest at the state capitol or whoever else that decides on the budget for these schools(overall, the politician who doles out the tax dollars)).

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProudCanadian
I can still wear my Candian flag
. But seriously my southern nighbors don't let your government tell you you can't wear YOUR flag in YOUR country because of illegal foreigners.

Well if the Canadian flag was being used as a way to incite say some Denmark students about some obscure Arctic Land Rights issue and they come back at us wavin' their flags in our face shouting out insults like "Your Beer sucks," and "You guys suck at hockey," or somesuch say on high school property, and they're all carrying things like hockey sticks and such I can pretty much say that would turn out to be a bloodbath of epic proportions.
Fairly unlikely to happen though.

Tribalism is truely the root of quite a large percentage of conflicts in history.

Oh well, falling on deaf(or blind?) eyes I suppose.

[edit on 10-4-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I'm not terribly worried about this, mainly because at some point in time people will start to wake up as things get worse.

A storm from many angles is coming it seems, and perhaps it needs to happen to wipe the PC police and Safety moms out of the picture and get back to the risky venture of freedom.

Fighting and comfort are generally at odds with each other, meaning one tends to fight less the more he is comfortable. That time is changing into a less and less comfortable situation.

Freedom never lasts, as we have seen since the New Deal, if not fought for HERE.

Wear the flag, take the hit, and tell em to kiss your &#%. Civil court is a GOOD thing sometimes.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Are children legally considered U.S. citizens, at least in the context of them being in public schools?

I thought I heard before that legally, children aren't afforded the same rights as adults.... further, I've heard that a school-board can decide rules, even if they conflict against constitutional rights. There really is NO full freedom of speech in public schools, particularly grammar schools.... you cannot just say anything you feel like saying. So by that example alone, I'd say that students are definately NOT afforded all the rights that we, as adults, 'apparently' enjoy.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Well I cant do anything about states far away where people are living and are allowing this to go on, but I cna gurantee you I would personally step onto that school campus and light a mexican flag aflame and fly as many american flags as I wanted. now if others arent willing to do the same in their state, I feel sorry for those people.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 12:31 AM
link   
i live in a mostly hispanic town in new jersey, im not trying to sound racist or anything im just trying to give you an understanding of what it was like for me, well im middle school(and now even in high school)there were at most 3 white students in my classes, and on the dominican independence day(or what the day they celebrate is) tehy would bring their falgs to school shove it in everyones face, wear shirts with the flags on them, wear the flags as capes, drape them all over their cars, and even paint their flags on their faces, well in 8th grade one kid went and held the dominican flag above the US flag while we were saying the pledge of alegiance, that i thought was the most disrespectful thing ive seen, and another thing that grinds my gears is the fact that all the letters and mail we get sent home from school is half english and half spanish, what bothers me about that is how much the government cators to just that one group of people, then the other day i was walking out of the supermarket and i was reaching for a car magazine(the ones with the cars for sale) when i realized it was completely in spanish, now like i said earlier im not a racist or anything but i just dont think its right to make it easier for just one group of people, for example why didnt i mistakenly pick up a car magazine that was in greek, or russian or any other language, and now they dont want to let us wear shirts with american flags on them to school, that is one thing i will always be against (also with that new bill or whatever they were talking about making all illegal immigrants have to leave or whatever,when they were protesting they were waving their flags around and burning a,erican ones,yet they want to luve in this country)thank you for taking your time to read this, and i am sorry if i have offended anyone, but what i just wrote has bothered me for a while so i hope you understand where i am coming from about this topic.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
Well I cant do anything about states far away where people are living and are allowing this to go on, but I cna gurantee you I would personally step onto that school campus and light a mexican flag aflame and fly as many american flags as I wanted. now if others arent willing to do the same in their state, I feel sorry for those people.

They aren't willing to do the same because it's just a flag... a piece of CLOTH. I think a lot of people, but not necessarily you, take offense to all this simply because they want to take offense to it. It's an excuse for them to get angry at the mexicans.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by firebat
It's an excuse for them to get angry at the mexicans.

Thats precisely what I feel about this "issue" its a local issue thats been blown way out of proportion. This is a temporary injunction at one school that covers the display of all flags a fact some of you missed when you whipped yourselves up into a frenzy of self-righteous anti-"PC" patriotism. The ACLU isn't coming to confiscate your flags. The Stars and Stripes have not been replaced with the Mexican tricolor. Everbody take a deep breath and chill out there are more pressing issues facing us as American's right now.

Besides I'd like to think my flag should be treated with a bit more respect and dignity then what it's accorded by the typical American "Patriot". I'm sorry but my flag should not be carelessly flung about by hooligan adolescents intent on causing civic disruption over the artificially induced immigrant "crisis". It should be displayed on a flagpole not recklessly clutched by the side of the road like it's some kind of sign.

Maybe I'm going of on a tangent here but the flag ethics the average American displays is disgusting. People work themselves into a lather at the thought of some malcontent burning the flag but don't think twice about wearing tacky flag motif clothes. I'm sorry but my great grand uncle didn't die in WWI to preserve the rights of future generations to spill ketchup and mustard on their flag t-shirts at a NASCAR track. The ironic thing is the flagburner is actually treating the flag with greater dignity then The Great American Patriot, at least the malcontent understands the flag has meaning behind it, it's not just a crass fashion statement that you throw on thoughtlessly when you walk out the door.

[edit on 10-4-2006 by boogyman]

Cug

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

Also, as far as I know wearing the US flag is not a crime, everyone from ordinary citizens to police officers to military personnel to politicians wear the flag in one form or another.

While wearing the US flag is not a criminal offense, it does show disrespect for the flag. US Code Title 4 (Flag and seal, seat of government, and the states), Chapter 1 (The Flag) Section 8 (Respect for flag), part (d) states:

The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or
drapery
. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but
always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always
arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red
below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front
of the platform, and for decoration in general.

And in part (j)

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic
uniform
. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military
personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations.
The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living
thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on
the left lapel near the heart.

IMHO anyone upset over issues like burning the flag, should also be upset over people who where the flag as a fashion item. People do have the right under freedom of speech to disrespect the flag by wearing it.. but most don't have a clue they are disrespecting the flag.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 01:39 AM
link   
It's not about people literally wearing a flag, it's about people wearing clothing with the flag as a symbol, in this case one was a Marine Core T-Shirt.
Sounds like the dumb PC rubbish we have been enjoying in the UK for some time, you're not allowed to breath half the time incase it offends a 'visitor' to our country. The sad thing is most of the immigrants don't want these dumb rules because they cause hassle but someone up top thinks it's a good idea.

For example Piggy-Banks have been banned from all banks/building societies because it may insult our Muslim immigrants.

British banks are banning piggy banks because they may offend some Muslims.

Halifax and NatWest banks have led the move to scrap the time-honoured symbol of saving from being given to children or used in their advertising, the Daily Express/Daily Star group reports here.

Muslims do not eat pork, as Islamic culture deems the pig to be an impure animal.

Salim Mulla, secretary of the Lancashire Council of Mosques, backed the bank move.
www.theage.com.au...

Also various piggy items have been banned from one council office in the Midlands:

Novelty pig calendars and toys have been banned by bosses at Dudley Council in case Muslim staff are offended.

Workers in the council's benefits department have been told to remove or cover up all pig products including toys, porcelain, calendars and even a tissue box featuring Winnie the Pooh and Piglet.

It comes after a Muslim worker said they were offended by pig-shaped stress relievers delivered to the authority.

Muslims are forbidden from eating pork in the Koran and staff were asked to remove the items.

[url]http://www.expressandstar.com/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi?archive=32&num=81092

Just to show you how this sort of attitude is being drummed into even normal people, our manager at work (luckily the guys that own it are friends) started whining when I put up a British (and American) flag up in the My office where no customer comes anyway in case it offended someone

We told him to shut up, but what a moron..

I know it's not the fault of general immigrant population, but there are some real morons up top making these decisions.. I'm sorry but I expect people who come here to live in our environment, not change it to their own. After all, isn't the whole point of emmigrating somewhere so you can enjoy an alternative culture?

I'm sorry if I sound upset, but I get fed up with us throwing away even silly little traditions in case in offends a recently introduced minority. I would never dream of even attempting to change anything if I visit another country - and I'm pretty sure I know what the response would be if I tried.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Self-Edit: Irrelevent to this discussion.

[edit on 10-4-2006 by firebat]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Do you really think they tried to get rid of the flag for unpatriotic reasons? When a conflict between the two flags broke out the principal was merely trying to quell the pressure. The flag was being used as a taunting tool and I can completely understand the principle's motive.

Second thing. What the hell does wearing a flag have to do with being a patriot? Most people who wear American Flag tshirts arent the kindof people I enjoy hanging out with simply for the fact that a flag is meant to be hung not worn and when you wear it you either have no taste, or a gang mentality.

Give me a break do you people really take this topic seriously knowing that the US government wouldnt be where it was if it werent for immigrant and slave labor? Wake up! Pretty soon mexico will be shutoff and the US will begin its plans of isolation from the rest of the world. But then again, thats just my opinion.

[edit on 10-4-2006 by nephyx]

[edit on 10-4-2006 by nephyx]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by nephyx
Pretty soon mexico will be shutoff and the US will begin its plans of isolation from the rest of the world.

There are reports that those in charge will attempt to merge Canada, Mexico and the U.S. into one big North American nation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join