It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans can't wear US flag in the US!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Well folks I’m just about ready to explode, apparently citizens in the United States of America are not allowed to wear shirt's with the US flags. We have to now be ashamed and hide the fact that we are proud Americans because we might offend immigrants from other countries. No one seems to care that illegal immigrants wave Mexican flags and advocate breaking the law but if a US citizen wears a flag on his shirt all hell breaks loose. Just another example of how Political Correctness will kill the United States, and just another example of how we are bending over backward to accommodate foreigners.

DENVER -- Several students at Shaw Heights Middle School have been disciplined for wearing shirts that depict the American flag, an act that is in direct violation of the public school's recent ban on all flags, depictions of flags, or flag colors on student clothing.
One student said he was suspended for wearing a DARE program shirt with a flag behind the logo. Another student, Katie Golgart, said she was suspended for wearing a Marine Corps shirt.

Elizabeth Haas, told reporters that she was told to turn her Marine Corps shirt inside out and when she did and then turned it back the right way, she was suspended. Haas, an 11-year-old sixth grader, said that she wears a USMC shirt every day to support her brother, who is in the Corps, and she wasn't aware of the ban until she was suspended.

All of the students who were suspended said they had a connection to the military -- either they have a family member now serving or someone in the family had once served. They said despite the school ban, and even if it means another suspension, they will continue to wear their shirts.

Can't wear US flag in the US

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Other Sources
Students Who Want To Wear American Flag Walk Out
Flags Banned in Schools In Colorado, California
Senators Move To Protect Display Of Flag

[edit on 9-4-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   
The other side of the story seems to be,

Skyline High School Principal Tom Stumpf said he enacted the flag ban after American flags were brazenly waved in the faces of Hispanic students, and in one case, a Mexican flag was thrown into the face of another student.

"The (policy) evolved because the flags were being used, not as a symbol of cultural heritage, but the flags were being used as symbols of bigotry, a symbol of hostility. They were being used to inflame different groups and we're simply not going to tolerate that at Skyline High School," Stumpf said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It seems the school's principal values social harmony and safety for his students above flag-waving. If only there were more people like him.

[edit on 9-4-2006 by koji_K]

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Now you're starting to feel what we've been crabbing about all this time. Now it's starting to get personal to you. Good.

Remember, no matter what the reason, these are AMERICAN authorities making these rules. Regardless of why this ridiculous rule is being made, it's the government-sponsored education system that's making these rules that the US flag cannot be warn, but other countries can feel free to display theirs however they like.

Remember when we used to have the right to free speech and the government stood behind that right? Well, those days are gone. The Totalitarian Tiptoe is on the march.

It's one thing to wave a flag as an incitement, but clothing being banned? The kids whose family members are serving in the military cannot wear a flag on their shirt? Please!

From your source:

"The statute is clear," said Suthers. "No Colorado school has the authority to prohibit students from reasonably displaying the flag of the United States on their person or property. While schools can and should act to prevent conduct by students that interferes with the education process, their remedy must be narrowly tailored and cannot include a general ban on displaying the American flag."

But they wimp out and step on the Americans because someone else gets upset and starts a fight.

We're on the same side on this one WestPoint.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Indiana campground bans all flags

MUNCIE - In an extraordinary move, Mayor Dan Canan on Monday ordered all flags, including the American and MIA/POW flags, removed from Prairie Creek Reservoir campsites. And Canan reiterated a earlier policy that seasonal campers must remove all trailers and equipment after Nov. 1.

While this situation is a little different from the one you mention, it has some of the same premises.

It occured in 2004 and centered originally on campers at the city-owned reservoir that were flying confederate flags. The mayor asked that all confederate flags be taken down, and when some of the campers resisted, the mayor banned all flags of any type in the campground.

It was quickly resolved by the mayor allowing all flags to be flown again, but his initial reaction was to ban all flags, just like the schools have done with the exception of the ones in the classroom or on the flagpole outside the school.

This situation needs to be addressed by the school board, and quickly.

JDub

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 07:08 PM
link   

It seems the school's principal values social harmony and safety for his students above flag-waving. If only there were more people like him.

The principal is in direct violation of state law and the first amendment, if he values social harmony he can discipline the students who took such action, however he has no right or authority to ban Americans from wearing the US flag.

Colorado Law Protects Display Of American Flag

Because of this divisive issue, Colorado Attorney General John W. Suthers requested that a copy of Colorado Revised Statute 27-2-108.5, concerning the proper and legal display of the flag of the United States, be sent to all Colorado superintendents.

"The statute is clear," said Suthers. "No Colorado school has the authority to prohibit students from reasonably displaying the flag of the United States on their person or property. While schools can and should act to prevent conduct by students that interferes with the education process, their remedy must be narrowly tailored and cannot include a general ban on displaying the American flag."

C.R.S. 27-2-108.5 reads, "The right to display reasonably the flag of the United States shall not be infringed with respect to the display: (a) On an individual's person; (b) Anywhere on an individual's personal or real property."

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Yeah, I gotta agree with BH here. It's nice to see a patriot ATS member like WestPoint23 get affected.

These people who are pulling the strings want ALL flags burned except theirs. Also, this immigration thing is designed to frustrate hard core right wing war vets, patriots, etc.

Post more about your anger, Westy. I like it.

BTW koji, I think it might be hard for people outside the US to understand just how deeply flag-worship has been practiced here, even subconciously. Literally, if you try to burn a flag in public, your chances of being physically assaulted in the US are extremely good.

[edit on 9-4-2006 by smallpeeps]

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

But they wimp out and step on the Americans because someone else gets upset and starts a fight.

Now that's an odd statement, given the facts in the article- it seems that it was the people wearing the flags who were starting fights! The exact purpose of not wearing the flags is to prevent fights.

I see it as just the logical extension of having dress codes in schools. Nothing wrong with the American flag, but context is important - a school is a place for learning, and if the flag is being used to disrupt, or is the source of discord, then such a ban is appropriate to ensure the learning can continue safely.

That said I do feel kind of sorry for the girl who was wearing the shirt to support her brother, and would probably have done the same in her situation (ie, worn the flag and consequences be damned). It would seem as though there were room for some sort of compromise, but I guess where the flag is involved it would be even more controversial to disallow only certain students from wearing it.

Also, urm, what are the tags for that nifty "external source" quote box? I only know the one for "news."

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Yes BH we do agree on this one, and what you just mentioned is very important.

Remember, no matter what the reason, these are AMERICAN authorities making these rules. Regardless of why this ridiculous rule is being made, it's the government-sponsored education system that's making these rules that the US flag cannot be warn, but other countries can feel free to display theirs however they like.

I think it was best said a long time ago BH, "A house divided against itself cannot stand."

The tags are [*ex] and [/*ex], just remove the *.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I also agree with Wespoint and Benevolent Heretic. But I have one thing to say.

Those students do not respect the American flag if they're wearing it only to intimidate other students. Whenever there is reasonable proof that they have not so nice intentions when wearing the flag or a marine corps shirt (so if they get caught in the act of bullying minority students using the flag) they should be sent to detention and forced to write an essay on why and how the U.S. flag and all the national flags of the world should be respected.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   
American Flag Banned on Campuses Across the Nation

As the stars and stripes fly proudly all over America, many colleges are banning the American flag and other patriotic symbols deemed to be "offensive." Marquette, Lehigh, Arizona State, Central Michigan, and Texas A&M are among the campuses where flag controversies have erupted.

My personal feeling on the flag is that it's a piece of cloth and simply a SYMBOL of patriotism. I don't even go in for shows of patriotism such as singing the National Anthem or saluting the flag, but I stand up strongly for the rights of those who wish to show their patriotism that way.

When 'harmony' becomes more important than the basic rights we are explicitly entitled to in this country, something has gone very, very wrong, indeed.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by smallpeeps

BTW koji, I think it might be hard for people outside the US to understand just how deeply flag-worship has been practiced here, even subconciously. Literally, if you try to burn a flag in public, your chances of being physically assaulted in the US are extremely good.

I hear ya smallpeeps. I'm American so I know the score on that regard. It seems like there's a kind of flag-induced-blindess unique to the United States amongst civilized democracies, as though the symbols of the nation were more important than its substance. I don't have much respect for flag-burners or people who disrespect the American flag, but at the end of the day its just a symbol, and if the symbol starts interfering with the values of the nation (social equality being one of them), then its clear to me what takes precedence!

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by koji_K
I see it as just the logical extension of having dress codes in schools. Nothing wrong with the American flag, but context is important - a school is a place for learning, and if the flag is being used to disrupt, or is the source of discord, then such a ban is appropriate to ensure the learning can continue safely.

I see it as an extension of a dress code too, and I'm not too thrilled with those either.

My gripe is that if students are starting fights, then punish the students who are starting fights! I don't care if they're using a flag or baseball bat or a hair barrette, the students who are fighting need to be punished, not the girl whose brother is in Iraq. Not the spirit of the entire student body! Don't go after the character of the country!

Also, urm, what are the tags for that nifty "external source" quote box? I only know the one for "news."

Why certainly

External Source Tags

And I also agree with TheBandit795 that the kids are probably using the flag. But, they have the right, even if I don't agree with what they're doing with it. And the repercussions of this most ignorant move by these schools are reaching FAR beyond the schools.

[edit on 9-4-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

My gripe is that if students are starting fights, then punish the students who are starting fights! I don't care if they're using a flag or baseball bat or a hair barrette, the students who are fighting need to be punished, not the girl whose brother is in Iraq. Not the spirit of the entire student body! Don't go after the character of the country!

Well, you definately have a point. I said before that I thought it was a shame they couldn't reach a compromise, because yes, it doesn't seem right that others should be penalized for the actions of a few. I think of this more as an administrative act with a purpose behind it - although admittedly the act was not perhaps the wisest or most fair solution. I don't know about going after the character of the country, though. I don't see limiting displays of the flag - under certain circumstances- as an attack on America itself. I would suspect this is one of those situations where, as they say, reasonable minds could disagree.

Why certainly

External Source Tags

Thank you!

[edit on 9-4-2006 by koji_K]

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 09:22 PM
link   
This doesn't bother me in the slightest number one these are minors and their freedoms are already curtailed. School is their priority not freedom of expression. Number two no one should be wearing the US flag in the first place. It's vulgar and in violation of the flag code.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I do so get a kick outta this shizm.

These kids are growing up during the new flag waving movement started by the awful "terrorist" attacks at home, only to have it 5 years later to be an affront to Flag Waving Illegals, Children, settled immigrants and relatives of those respective parties.

It seems to me that American flags are now the out fashion like abercrombie and the gap.

It's now hip to wave the Mexican flag. I can't wait until it's fashionable to wave the Slovenian flag. Go U.S. and it's ever-changing stances!!!

Hey Kids it's not hip to be a patriot anymore, go watch American Idol until we figure out what next is hip.

That was all of my cynism, now for the positive. Just like anyone else who bullies, they should be disciplined for their bullying behavior.

Now on the downside, The American Flag bullies are using our sacred American Flag as racially motivated hate. They hide behind the american flag like a KKK Clansmen hides under their pillowsheet hoodies.

Just like all Immigrant hating, the reality is, without immigrants there would have been no America. That is what we are founded on, the backs of immigrants. It has always been our policy to take, the sick, the tired, and the hungry of other nations. If we can provide a better way of life, in 3 generations, they can be flag waving Americans just like we are. We are descendants of immigrants who settled here for a better way of life.

-ADHDsux4me

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   

This doesn't bother me in the slightest number one these are minors and their freedoms are already curtailed. School is their priority not freedom of expression. Number two no one should be wearing the US flag in the first place. It's vulgar and in violation of the flag code.

Of course it doesn't, after all not being allowed display the US flag in the US is a small matter and no reason to be concerned. I wonder what tune you would be harping if the state had banned the burning of the flag. Is that a violation of the flag code?

The fact is these students are protected by state law and by their right to express themselves in a peaceful manner. If certain students are using the flag in a inappropriate manner or are causing trouble then discipline them, but that's as far as it should go.
Also, as far as I know wearing the US flag is not a crime, everyone from ordinary citizens to police officers to military personnel to politicians wear the flag in one form or another.
______________________________________________________________________________________

Just like all Immigrant hating, the reality is, without immigrants there would have been no America. That is what we are founded on, the backs of immigrants. It has always been our policy to take, the sick, the tired, and the hungry of other nations. If we can provide a better way of life, in 3 generations, they can be flag waving Americans just like we are. We are descendants of immigrants who settled here for a better way of life.

Tell me this isn’t happening again? What part of the word illegal don't you understudy? I have no problem with regulated legal immigration, and yes we were founded on legal immigration. We should, on our own terms legally take in the less fortunate people and help them improve their lives in the US. However we do not owe some great burden to the world that should make us allow anyone to come here and violate our laws and sovereignty. Why should someone who lives in Mexico be allowed to break our laws and then be rewarded with all of our rights and benefits, when someone from Yugoslavia has to fill out a form and wait several years before he even gets a chance to come here legally, is that fair? Once again, people should not confuse legal and illegal immigration with each other.

[edit on 9-4-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I wonder... Is this considered "wearing the flag"?

How about this?

Are these too 'offensive' for people to wear?

Once again, people should not confuse legal and illegal immigration with each other.

And one should definitely not confuse this issue (banning the flag) with immigration of any sort.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 10:04 PM
link   
BH, how'd you get a camera into Garth Brooks' closet?!

[This line added to comply with the ATS no-one-line-post policy. Carry on.]

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Well, WestPoint...

Do you finally get it? This is literally just the tip of the iceberg. Sadly, I think this angers you for reasons that will not hip you to the real game that is being played here...

And keep in mind, not only are AMERICANS doing this, but AMERICANS are funding the radical Hispanic groups who want to take over the US and implement the Plan of San Diego (kill all white males over the age of 16).

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by smallpeeps
BH, how'd you get a camera into Garth Brooks' closet?!

That looks more like Abbie Hoffmans shirt!

Seriously folks..why would you want to see school kids fighting in school ? If this situation is being diffused then education should be the first matter of priority in a school. I can't believe people would choose patriotism over a childs education and want to risk seeing violence where it could possibly affect their own child or that of anothers.
Going by some of the responses though I can actually see why some of the kids are reacting so violently. As if the majority of kids in the schools understand whats going on , most of their info comes directly from the parents. The kids got along fine for the most part in the schools. Its a shame they have to be involved in all this.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join