It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A really strange question!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Right, this is a question that I feel I know the answer to, even if its only the answer to it to me.

If you are caught up in a terrorist attack like at Beslan in 2004, and you have a chance to get, say, 6 or 7 people out, but in doing so you know you will get killed, what do you do from a religious standpoint?

I'd say get them out, but i may be wrong.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Why would it need a religous standpoint to react from? Why not a moral oe ethical standpoint? Are you saying a person with no religious attachment could not or would not help in that situation?
I believe many a religious person in that situation would NOT help for fear of death as would many non religous people.

G

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
well... any standpoint then. An atheist may or may not do something, as may a theist. I just wondered what anyone else would do.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I really don't get the question ... from a religous standpoint? wth?

Honestly, why would religion need to be brought into question over whether to save a life or to not? That make's no sense at all.

I can't answer for the 'religous standpoint' part, but from MY POV, I'd save as many as I can without endangering myself in the process.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Ok then from any stance! It would depend on the circumstances on why I was there at the school, but I am about 80% certain that I would not intervene if I was going to die. The worlds a bit more interesting with me in it (to me anyways) and I dont have the have a go hero streak in me.
But in saying that I would really need to be in the situation and react as the moments dictated.

G

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by shihulud
Ok then from any stance! It would depend on the circumstances on why I was there at the school,...

Or any location, I used that as an example.

Originally posted by shihulud
and I dont have the have a go hero streak in me.

I kind of hope I have got the "have a go hero streak" in me, but I really don't know.

I had kind of hoped someone else would post on this thread, to get someone else point of view.

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 11:36 PM
link   
That is something that I believe you would have to be faced with in order to know the answer. I would think that anyone with a wife and children would find it hard to sacrifice their life in this manner and bring the pain and loss upon their family.
However if someone without a family could spare the life of 6 or 7, and spare their family's the pain, then the decision to do so would be much easier.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Actually I have a self seving standpoint I spose, I mean I love people and would want to save them but the thought of my family seeing the news and being so proud of me for doing it, Id be so happy I died makin em proud actually. The sentimentality and my own personal sense of drama would make me do it..kinda like the die a hero streak..kinda the fact I was raised on 80;s movies and would feel so epic and wonderful doing it but Im not firmly grounded in reality to begin with and almost dont believe in death. I cant imagine nothingness at all. It doesnt scare me since its nothingness after all but, I imagine that when I pass the mortal coil Ill just move on to the next adventure, thats intuitive(or possibly a psychological disorder. Anyway Im sure everyone would think real highly of me and they would like cry but with that feeling you get in your heart when something touches you..I feel that way about those people that brought down the plane over Pennsylvania..Inspired and sad/happy and moved Im like sad for them cause they had to die but happy for em because they caused me and probably others to just feel better about the human race in general. Its important to know heros exist especially among the common folk..not just police and fire and military but comfortable people who dont have that mindset maybe snapping out of it and stepping up to destiny when it calls to them. Just a romantic I spose

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
To be honest, i couldn't tell you until i was in that situation. I don't think anyone knows how they would react till then.

But i will tell you that there is a few people in my life that i would die for. So no mater how slim my chances were if those people were in the building i would go in after them, even if i knew i would die.

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I would save as many people as i could without risking my own life and if it came down to saving one or dying i would probably save myself. survival is mans most important and enduring natural ability. I could live with knowing that i could have saved other but i couldnt live with dying.

[edit on 16-4-2006 by daedalas]

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 12:39 AM
link   
THE NEEDS OF THE MANY ARE GREATER THAN THE NEEDS OF THE FEW

top topics

join