It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manga/Fictional Aircraft: Any good in reality?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Although im not a sci fi freak, Some of these manga/fictional look more advanced than aircraft in reality. I suppose the people who designed them are people who never made it to the aircraft industry but would the designs sucess in reality?

Anyone seen the XFA-27 from Namco's Ace Combat 2?
www.angelfire.com...

Wonder if they are based on real life black projects?

[edit on 6-5-2006 by Browno]

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I don't doubt this thing can actually fly but I wouldn't call it a "stealth fighter." It has everything to make it as unstealthy as possible. Variable geometry wings, triplane config (sort of) with extra ventral fins, not even any RAM coating. It can't be anything more than a normal 3-4 gen fighter (US gen)

[edit on 9-4-2006 by Taishyou]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 12:30 AM
link   
What about the veritech fighter/battleoids of Robotech Macross Fame?
I'm sure they'd be something for WVR combat

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 02:51 AM
link   
The Japanese Anime/Manga artist don't really care about if it would work, only if it would look cool really.

They might fly with some serious Fly By Wire...otherwise..it would be quite unstable, which in it self might be an advantage with FBW, but then again...

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I suppose your right Ground Zero, They are just supposed to look cool instead of being aeronautically perfect, Like the Monogram F-19 Specter i was mad on at one time

I still love the design but im quite over it becouse it is not a real plane UNFORTUNATLEY
www.aircraftresourcecenter.com...

Waynos described that this plane has innacurate features and was just supposed to look 'cool'. I suppose it would be a great fighter if it was given a few changes in its design.

Maybe these Manga/Fictional airframes could have some adjustments and could revolutionise Aircraft Designs but it depends on wind tunnel testing and Airworthiness.

[edit on 10-4-2006 by Browno]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Whilst it is tempting to rip into these anime/manga creations for being a bit silly, I wont, because they clearly have good taste when it comes to deciding what constitutes a 'cool' aeroplane

[edit on 10-4-2006 by waynos]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   
waynos what anime is that?

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Should be "stratos 4" with young, attractive girls piloting TSR-2s...

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I was just thinking about this the other day. Anyone who knows of the artist Hayao Miyazaki, and has seen his films may have noticed that all of the aircraft are extreme. Very elaborate and strange things, that don't look like they'd stand a chance of actually flying, but are intriguing to look at anyway.

My pictures are too big, but any google image search for "Castle in the Sky" or Nausicaa" should turn up a few things. Pretty interesting.

--Kit.

[edit on 10/4/2006 by Kitsunegari]

[edit on 10/4/2006 by Kitsunegari]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Yes, stratos 4, as echoblade said. Thing is, I've never actually seen it, I found the pictures online once when searching for TSR 2 stuff and thought WTF??

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Waynos, Those manga people are pure sick!, they even have drawn A-4 Skyhawks, F-8 Crusaders, BAC Lightnings, Voutours/Yak Firebars, Mig 25s n so on!!!!!!!!!!

images.google.com...://www.inetres.com/gp/anime/area88/

they even do real life firearms like WW2 Sten guns and beyond!

What the hell are they up to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[edit on 10-4-2006 by Browno]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Seeing as how alot of inventions get their start in fiction, I wouldn't be suprised if the craft that you see in manga could concievably become reality in the future. Most of the craft in your pics look like they would be outdated for the type of missions that will face our armed forces in the future though. The threshold that we are currently on hints at autonomous craft.
I am, however, waiting for the day when our governments start to fight over the real estate outside of our atmosphere. It is only a matter of time before we start to squabble over who owns what part of the Moon. The kind of craft needed to fight those battles will be astounding.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Ahh yes, the anime scene, I've always been a big fan of Anime and the sci fi world. However what drew me in to Anime was not the mystical fighter planes, but the mystical fighting mecha. Including ones that can transform into aerofighters.

A bit large, I know, but I forgot how to minimize images.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Hell yeah they be good
veritech fighters
VF-4s
VF-11
VF-19
VF-22s

and some gundams are good

one palabor?? movies has a sup F-16

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Really the veritech fighters(w/o the oh so humanoid arms) would really be nice as all terrain/land+air assault/defence unit.

Veritech

[edit on 10-4-2006 by Daedalus3]

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Those japanese

I would like to see a real transformer

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   
There are more decent designs in the Ace Combat games

ADF-01 Falken, looks like a high altitude interceptor/top secret spy plane.

ADFX-01 Morgan, This is well based on the SU-37 Berkut, Nothing different really exept for the two tails

R-103 Delphinus

X-02 Wyvern, Very YF-23ish
images.google.com...://homepage2.nifty.com/sparrow2/aircraft/x02.16.jpg&imgrefurl=http://homepage2.nifty.com/sparrow2/build20-x 02wyvern.htm&h=360&w=650&sz=107&tbnid=HtlKSNS1CY2KqM:&tbnh=74&tbnw=135&hl=en&start=1&prev=/images%3Fq%3DX-02%2BWyvern%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%2 6rls%3DRNWE,RNWE:2005-47,RNWE:en%26sa%3DN

I wish this one could be real, Its my favourite out of the world of fictional aircraft

The Testors F-19 we discussed a few months ago

Apart from performances, I do think planes should 'look cool' becouse it would attract Officials/Foreign Customers who are buying new Aircraft.

Although the Typhoon is a 5th generation fighter, It still looks like an old mirage or just an ordinary plane. It also seems like nothing has changed too. Planes should 'look cool' as long as thier still airworthy, have good performances and are capable of sick stunts and stealth capability.

In my opinion the last time planes 'looked cool' was round the 3rd/4th generation

F-16 Falcon(For a Standard Class Fighter) TSR2, YF-12 Blackbird, F-4 Phantom,
A-5 Vigilante, F-111 Aardvark, F-15 Eagle,
F-14 Tomcat. The latest being the F-22 Raptor, F-35 JSF and the YF-23 Black Widow 2

Aircraft firms should start recruiting the people who design planes for video games 'n' stuff like that
en.wikipedia.org...:Fictional_aircraft

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Yuo're right those scamatics look way more high tech than anything that is even being planned on made. interesting

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Browno
Although im not a sci fi freak, Some of these manga/fictional look more advanced than aircraft in reality. I suppose the people who designed them are people who never made it to the aircraft industry but would the designs sucess in reality?

Anyone seen the XFA-27 from Namco's Ace Combat 2?
www.angelfire.com...

Wonder if they are based on real life black projects?

The "XFA27" design is, in configuration terms, far from stealthy:

The vertical sides (light blue shading) are likely to create a lsarge reflection from the side aspect which is pretty much where you don't want the radar "spike" to be (note how stealth aircraft slope to top or bottom). Also there are a large number of horozontally oposed surfaces (see darker blue) which would act as huge radar reflectors, bouncing radar waves back to the sender from a large number of angles, probably even amplified ("corner reflector"). The worst would be between the engines on the underbelly.

Clearly that design would only be stealth in name.

top topics

join