It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Ignorance Bliss?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   
In spite of the motto of Above Top Secret that is, "to Deny Ignorance", I have to ask whether it is true when some say Ignorance is Bliss?

When I read that global warming will turn the Earth into an uninhabitable dust-ball in 10,000 years, I worry. Yet, if were ignorant of this development, I would be blissful (or at least closer to this mental state).

When I am made aware that there are billions of chunks of space debris zooming past Earth as the very moment that I write this post, my mind reels. In the galactic crap-shoot, I become very aware that the Earth is bound to be struck by a sizeable object -- perhaps a rock that would cause such destruction that it spell the end of civilization as we know it or even all life itself. Yet, if I had not known about this, I could have focused my thoughts upon the upcoming NHL playoffs. Will the Detroit Red Wings claim the Stanley Cup this year? Will this be Stevie Yzerman's last year? Who'll play in goal; Legace or Osgood? Instead, I have to wonder whether all life will cease to exist on the planet. Do we still have time to play out the NHL playoffs to decide a winner? Will the last gasp of civilization be a radio message that will beam outward, into space, announcing that "?" are the new Stanley Cup champions, forever?

Bird flu is coming! Will this knowledge make my sniffles and raspy cough become a deadly virulent virus with a 90% casualty rate instead of "just a simple cold". At first, I learned that Tamiflu would be an effective treatment for this bird flu. Then I learn that Tamiflu does nothing to slow this Avian virus from decimating the population and reducing mankind to the Dark Ages -- dooming humanity to a struggle to merely survive. If I had not known this, would Tamiflu have worked like a placebo? Would my solid belief that Tamiflu was a cure for Avian Flu been enough to assure my survival? Alas, now I am filled with doubt. Am I , and all my loved ones, doomed?

I am asking is "Ignorance bliss"? Or is it, somehow, better to be able to visualize the license number of the truck that hit you as your last conscious thought?

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I suppose ignorance can often be the easier alternative but I'd rather know the truth.

join