It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Web site exposes Air Force One defenses

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Omniscient
How is the wiring immune to EMP blasts? Seems illogical.

That's why WP23 gave this link: RF Sheilding when he mentioned it, me thinks.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Yes that is why I included the link, however further information specially dealing with wires and cables can be found at the link below.

A shielded cable is an electrical cable of one or more insulated conductors enclosed by a shield that may be composed of braided strands of copper (or other metal), a non-braided spiral winding of copper, or a layer of metal tape. Usually, this shield is covered with another layer of inexpensive insulation. The shield acts as a Faraday cage to prevent electrical noise from affecting the signals, and to prevent electromagnetic radiation that may interfere with other devices.

In single conductor cables the shield usually acts as the return path for the signal and is usually connected to the circuit reference point. In multi conductor cables the shield will be grounded, often only at one end, and doesn't carry circuit current.

High voltage power cables shields balance the stress on their electrical insulation and are earthed to pass any fault current back to the source. Termination of the HV shields during cable installation is of great importance to prevent hazards while miminizing undesired electrical signals or currents.

Shielded Cable

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Thanks all for the generous information.

If there is a 80 no fly zone, effective today, then i personally think, that the secret would be out. Hence i think this would have been updated. This is just my logical conculsion, but I could be wrong.

If the president is travelling I am sure the information would be available to the secret service and they would be monitoring the path of travel of the president. In such a scenario, what are the changes the information would be leaked out? Is it possible or has that happened?

Is the flight path flexible or not? Who could make this call to change the path of flight?

Does the plane have any weapons to protect itself from an attack?

Thankyou for the information on EMP. It is a very interesting read. I was under the impression that there is no protection yet from EMP.

Zaphod,

Thankyou for sharing the information about your trips on AF1. Is it similar to any other flight or is it different? I understand it is quite spacious. How was your feeling when you got a change to fly on the plane?

Cheers

K23

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Does anyone know which Air Force Base had the information on the Website.

This was not mentioned in the article.

Sorry for another post. I forgot to add this in.

Thankyou

K23

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by knowledge23
Thanks all for the generous information.

If there is a 80 no fly zone, effective today, then i personally think, that the secret would be out. Hence i think this would have been updated. This is just my logical conculsion, but I could be wrong.

If the president is travelling I am sure the information would be available to the secret service and they would be monitoring the path of travel of the president. In such a scenario, what are the changes the information would be leaked out? Is it possible or has that happened?

Is the flight path flexible or not? Who could make this call to change the path of flight?

Does the plane have any weapons to protect itself from an attack?

Thankyou for the information on EMP. It is a very interesting read. I was under the impression that there is no protection yet from EMP.

Zaphod,

Thankyou for sharing the information about your trips on AF1. Is it similar to any other flight or is it different? I understand it is quite spacious. How was your feeling when you got a change to fly on the plane?

Cheers

K23

No weapons, but it does have the option of changing its flight plan in flight.

Unfortunately when we got on them they weren't flying, but it was still amazing to go on. I got to eat Reagan's jellybeans.
Spacious doesn't begin to describe it. I just wish they had let us take pictures of it. Solid oak tables, huge leather chairs at every table, big galleys. They buy huge amounts of food and cook every meal fresh. They're cooking from takeoff until an hour or two before landing.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Thanks Zaphod for the quick response..

I guess such an important person would get good food. Interesting to read about the time of cooking. I did read in the links that it is the state of the art furniture. But you did not get a chance to fly on the plane? I think that is a bit of a teaser. I bet it would have been fun to fly in such a plane.

Are journalist allowed to talk about their experience on the plane?

What happens if someone deploys a missle targetting the plane? What happens if from somewhere, God hope this doesnt happen, but if the president is flying and two fighter planes appear from somewhere and start shooting at the plane. Isnt there anything in the plane which will enable it to fire back?

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 05:51 AM
link   
As far as the missiles go it has some limited self defense capabilities against missiles. That's why they freaked out over this article, because it apparently went into detail about them. It has a minor ECM capability, and the standard chaff/flare dispensers, and a few other things that they'd probably rather I didn't mention.
So I won't.

It's one of the only non-fighter aircraft with a limited air-air radar dection capability. Most planes have radar, but only to detect weather, so they can go around it. AF1 has a limited radar capability to detect other planes as well. If someone was serious enough to jump it with fighters there's not much they can do about it. There is some limited evasive manuvering they can do, but not much else. They don't have the interface capabilities for carrying missiles, and even if they did it would probably just piss off whoever they shot at.

And yeah it was kind of a tease, but not really. Even just getting to go on it parked on the ramp, I'm one of a select crowd that's gotten to go on the plane. And I DID get to eat presidential jellybeans.

On an off topic note, they also gave us M&Ms and matchbooks from the plane, with the Seal on them. The last I heard a couple years ago the M&Ms in DC went for $50 a box. They are a white box, with the Presidential Seal, the Presidents signature, and an M carrying an American flag.

[edit on 4/10/2006 by Zaphod58]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   
But the plane if the need arises can be turned into a battle station?

Would that be a fair statement.

It is interesting to read the price for M&M sold. I guess it would be fair to pay that price. I would pay that much to see the seal. Do you still have the seal? Have you held onto the match box? it will be collectors items and a rare collection.

In such an instance of fighter planes attacking the plane, the radors may pick it up, the commander of the plane can call for assistance from fighter planes? and the planes could provide assistance but it may take time for them to be in air and protect the plane and the damage may be already done? I guess then parachute would be the best option to save ones life

Thoughts?

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 06:26 AM
link   
It CAN be used if necessary, but that's the job of the E-4B. They used to follow AF1 around and land at a military base near where AF1 was. Now they land either a Gulfstream IV or V and park it on the same base as AF1, but way off away from it. In the event of an attack they would put him on NAOC and THAT would be the command post he would use. Otherwise all his orders would have to go from AF1-E-4-NMCC-On Scene commanders. By being on E-4 he bypasses a lot of the hassle of being on AF1.

Oh yeah we still have the M&Ms and matchbooks. We have them stored in baggies somewhere they won't get damaged by sunlight or anything like that. We have them from Reagan through Bush 2.

The only thing they could do if a fighter went after them is try to take evasive action and scream for help. There's not much else you can do, except pray you defeat any missiles coming your way and can stay away from them until help gets there.

[edit on 4/10/2006 by Zaphod58]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
And last Air Force One is able to refuel in mid air which allows for virtually limitless range, however food supply, fatigue, and or mechanical failure make this only a theoretical notion.

Yeah I think the endurance is in the region of 70 hours , and another limiting factor is engine oil.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Does anyone know which Air Force Base had the information on the Website.

This was not mentioned in the article.

I think this was done on purpose, they wouldn’t tell the public the location of the information until they had taken it down. Also regarding fighters, in the US this is very unlikely to happen but I suspect ground based radar would pick up the incoming fighters and alert the military. However Air Force One’s best bet would still be to take evasive maneuvers, deploy counter measures and try to descend as fast as possible to land somewhere. The same would be true if AF1 is abroad. Remember AF1 is not invincible it’s just the safest way for the president to fly short of putting him in a B-2 or SR-71, but how cool would that be?

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Zaphod,

Great note an E-4B. It was an interesting read. It is pretty much a battle station. So say if the president is in the White House, the first thing if there is a nuclear attack, is to get him airbounre, say by AF1, if that is the closest, then he collabarates a strike from AF1 via E-4B against the attacking country?

Has anyone had a rare opportunity to physically see E-4B. Have you Zaphod?

Do all the seats on AF1 have the presidents seal?

Have you seen the presidents office on the plane?

Does his seat have the seal?

Westpoint23

I think ill have to agree with your statement, that they wont tell us till the link is down. It would be correct, that ground based raders would pick it up, and AF1 can somehow evade the attack, but for how long. How much time would it take to get additional support to help the president?

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Yah, I've seen and been on the E-4B. It's all commo gear as far as you can see.

They prefer to get him on the E-4 in the event of an attack, but if they have to they'll put him on AF1, and he'll coordinate with the Battle Staff commander on the NAOC and go through him.

Yah I've seen everything on AF1. All the stuff in the Presidential office, and his quarters has the Seal on it. It's all over the plane.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 08:54 AM
link   

It would be correct, that ground based raders would pick it up, and AF1 can somehow evade the attack, but for how long. How much time would it take to get additional support to help the president?

Well, depending on how close the Air Base is to AF1 it could take a fighter going on full afterburner anywhere from a few minutes to perhaps more. However you can be sure that anyone who is trying to intercept AF1 with a fighter will have a hard time because the flight route of AF1 is always secret, the SS are so adamant bout that that they will even cancel a trip if the flight route is made public. One more thing, I don't know if they do this but to me it makes sense. When Air Force One is flying over the US they should make sure that the flight route is always very close to an air base or close to an airport just incase something happens.

[edit on 10-4-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Hi Guys.

Sorry I could not post yesterday, had some personal matters to attend to.

Thankyou for the information.

Zaphod,

Is E-4B as spacious as the AF1 and does it too have the seal of the president.

I do understand that this could be sensitive information, however is there any information on the interior of E4B. It would be quite interesting to note.
I was quite impressed by E-4B with respect to it being more like a 747, but the great features on the plane.

If the plane is flying for example over US soil, SS will have to at some point let air traffic know about the reasons for holding back or diverting air traffic. Would that not result in leakage of sensitive information?

Cheers

K23

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 04:34 AM
link   
E-4 barely has enough room to move around in.
They've got so much com gear onboard that it's not funny. Every spare inch almost is racks of com gear. It doesn't have the seal because the only time the President flies on it is if nuclear missiles are flying. The rest of the time it's travelling near him, or flying to different parts of the world to sit alert. There are only four of them. IIRC One is in PDM for maintenance, one stays near the President, and two stay at Offut AFB, which is their home station.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Zaphod,

Another silly question.

Com gear, is that combat or communication gear

Cheers

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Communication gear. Also known as Commo gear in some circles.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Zaphod,

Thankyou for the clarification. I have been browsing throught the net for more information, when I stumbled upon this document. It is in PDF format and it has information on future upgrades to U-4B. I have been through it. It is quite interesting with a fair bit of information. I am sure youll enjoy reading the article as much as I have.

Cheers

Click here for article

I think they are upgrading for the future.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I meant to post this yesterday when I read the article in the paper but I forgot so belatedly here it is. The english newspaper the Guardian printed these plans of Air Force One and claimed it was the first paper to do so:

Air Force One

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join