It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Web site exposes Air Force One defenses

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Isnt there a website that would have this information. It would be great if we could have a look....

FighterMasterFin

With a medical area on the plane, I would expect a doctor on the plane, but nice punch at the end with the knowledge....

Cheers

Knowledge23

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Does it make a difference if the captain is a Colonel?

The president is on the plane so wouldnt he be the highest authority on any decision?

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 08:31 AM
link   
There are a couple pictures out there, but not many. They're really twitchy about letting ANYTHING on the plane. We couldn't take cameras, walkmen, cd players, or anything electronic, and they searched us before we went on. Even purses couldn't go on.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Some other things concerning the plane, all the wiring and electronics on Air Force One are shielded against EMP blasts, and most likely the plane has an NBC suite to protect the president. One other security feature is that Air Force One almost always lands with the right side of the plane which contains the Presidential quarters away from the spectators. Air Force One also carries an extensive ECM suite which includes flares, chaff, and electronic jamming capability. Now, I don't know this for certain but I imagine 28000 and 29000 have been designed with higher levels of ballistic protection than regular 747‘s. Now I don't know if the interior/exterior is bulletproof or bomb proof, or if its designed to better handle crash landings but certainly I think it offers more protection than a regular passenger aircraft. And last Air Force One is able to refuel in mid air which allows for virtually limitless range, however food supply, fatigue, and or mechanical failure make this only a theoretical notion.

The president is on the plane so wouldnt he be the highest authority on any decision?

Well, generally the senior the rank the more experience that person has had flying planes and the more knowledge he has amassed. Its not necessarily a matter of who has more authority, but who is the better pilot.

[edit on 9-4-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   
The pilot IS the highest authority. He's called the AC for Aircraft Commander. That's one reason why they want a full colonel. That and because by the time you get to BE a colonel you have 20 years or more in the AF.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Thanks guys for the information. I had no information on the position of the pilots. Honestly I just thought they would be some airforce pilots. I did not think that they would be one of the best....

Regarding the EMP bombs, is there a way to avoid the blast. i was under the impression that if it does explode, then it will take everything off. This could cause alot of damage to the plane.

If the plane is bullet proof or bomb proof, wouldnt the metal used be of better quality and would it not be a bit more heavy than other planes. Would that create any problems for the plane to fly?

What about Nuclear Bomb explosion. Do you guys think the entire plane would be protected or shielded or could be shielded?

Zaphod58,

Have you been on AF1 as you mentioned they checked everything before boarding the plane?

Cheers

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I've been on 26000, 27000 (AF1 from Kennedy to 1st Bush) and 28000. I didn't have the chance to get on 29000 though. Not really different, just the chance to say I was on all four.
26000 flew Kennedy's body back to DC after he was killed, and that's where Johnson was sworn in. 27000 flew Nixon back after he resigned. Halfway through the flight at 12:01 they went from Air Force One, to SAM27000.

An EMP bomb doesn't really have an explosion per se. It just blows out all the electronics in a wide area, unless they're shielded.

AF1 is standard aircraft grade aluminum, with additions to the inside. You'll never find out just what though. They're really twitchy about ANYTHING that might compromise security, which is why they're all twitchng over this article. I'm sure someone's head will be served on a silver platter for this.

[edit on 4/9/2006 by Zaphod58]

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Yes, aboard AF-1 the "captain" is te commander, and not even the president has something to say about that...

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Well, an EMP blast, for example one caused from a Nuclear detonation will (depending on the altitude) destroy electrical systems that are not shielded. You can shield wires and other electronic systems by using the Faraday cage or a modified version of it. Wires can be shielded by being wrapped with material that are EMP resistant, a process known as RF Shielding.

If the plane is bullet proof or bomb proof, wouldnt the metal used be of better quality and would it not be a bit more heavy than other planes. Would that create any problems for the plane to fly?

Well, I was just hypothesizing, but I am in no way certain that it is indeed bullet proof, or if only certain parts are bullet proof. Also the interior of Air Force One is redesigned so any additional weight could have been compensated for by a lighter interior. And the plane does have an estimated takeoff weigh of 833,000 lb. So to tell you the truth if it does have armor plates in certain areas of the plane then the additional weight wouldn’t be so severe as to hinder the performance of the plane.

What about Nuclear Bomb explosion. Do you guys think the entire plane would be protected or shielded or could be shielded?

Well, depending on the proximity of the plane to such an explosion it could be destroyed by the blast. However if you’re talking about the radiation fallout then yes the entire plane could be shielded. The plane is probably air tight so air condition systems could be designed to filter out and block all radiation and or any chemical agents. Radiation absorbing material could also coat the interior. I doubt that Air Force One is designed with this level of protection as the E-4B is the plane that is specifically designed for this role.

Also, Zap if you don't mind me asking but just how did you manage to get yourself on Air Force One?

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 09:46 AM
link   
When the media does this sort of thing, prints information that is sensitive in nature, it's treasonous. I'm no fan of government in recent years, but I'm less a fan of the media just because they pull crap like this.

I hate the wankers. Can I say that?

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Well, I was just hypothesizing, but I am in no way certain that it is indeed bullet proof, or if only certain parts are bullet proof. Also the interior of Air Force One is redesigned so any additional weight could have been compensated for by a lighter interior. And the plane does have an estimated takeoff weigh of 833,000 lb. So to tell you the truth if it does have armor plates in certain areas of the plane then the additional weight wouldn’t be so severe as to hinder the performance of the plane.

Also, Zap if you don't mind me asking but just how did you manage to get yourself on Air Force One?

As to the first part, not really. We used to send E-4s out of here at almost 900,000 pounds everytime they came through. I think the last one I remember seeing go through here was at 840,000 pounds when it took off. They're the same model 747 so the weights are going to be kind of similar.

As to the second we've had friends on the crews for years. Most of the crew members were over here at one point of another, so when they come in they take us on the plane.

[edit on 4/9/2006 by Zaphod58]

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by knowledge23
I apologise for editing the post. I was having a problem with putting in the image. I tried and tried and finally gave up. It would have been good to put the photograh here. However those who would like to have a look, i think the article is good.

here ya go. i managed to upload the diagram for you.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   
What's interesting about this one is that on the lower level on the left side it has two sets of stairs that fold up into the plane, and on the right side it has two conveyor belts that fold up into the plane. That way it's completely self sufficient if they have to go into airfields that don't have stairs or cargo loaders. The USAF doesn't use cargo containers, they just load the bags into the holds loose.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by knowledge23

Does the 80 mile exclusion, mean no plane can come within that 80 mile zone, including commerical planes? Has there been any incident in history where a plane has managed to get close and been involved in a situation?

yes and no. when bush made his secret thanksgiving trip to iraq, a british airways plane nearly gave away what the plane really was. there's no way they could have seen that it was af1 if they were 80 miles away

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Well yes because if they had told the British flight to observe a 80 mile no fly zone then the secret is out. So they decided let them pass by naturally and not enforce the no fly zone.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
The exclusion zone is for ANY plane. Even military planes unless they're requested.

Are you sure about that? I thought planes that were following designated flight plans could enter it.

Originally posted by Landis
When the media does this sort of thing, prints information that is sensitive in nature, it's treasonous. I'm no fan of government in recent years, but I'm less a fan of the media just because they pull crap like this.

Uh... It was an Air Force Base's website that had the schematic up, the news source only brought it to light. Maybe you should have read the article.

My favorite regulation when it comes to AF1/AF2 is this...

Section 4. Radio and Interphone Communications

5. When in radio communications with "Air Force One" or "Air Force Two," do not add the heavy designator to the call sign. State only the call sign "Air Force One/Two" regardless of the type aircraft.

The reason they do that is so of the President or Vice President is traveling on a plane other than AF1/AF2, no one would know it until they saw it.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
It may have been changed in recent years, but when we first started going on Air Force One it was an 80 mile bubble that nothing was allowed into, not even USAF planes unless they were reuested.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Couple of points with this:

Yes there is a doctor on board. They also have the SS guys at a designated trauma center just in case in whatever area the president is in. When old Bill would visit Chelsea at Stanford, there was always an advance team that camped out in the medical center emergency room with a whole trauma team set to spring into action 9They used the MC staff not thier own). Also the president flies with 1-2 C-5's that hold the fuel browsers, limo's etc. I would not be surprised if they had some sort of trailer based mini or/er/icu on board one of them

In regards to the high powered rifle exploding Oxygen tanks :shk:
1) Its assumed they will ignite. oxygen supports combustion but unless there is some sort of ignitable fuel source nearby like say Halothane etc, its secured and its going to vent. GIve you guys an example. During a flight 9I was not one it) one of the carbon fibre O2 tanks was hit in a previously unknown weak spot and ruptured (albiet small) it vented but there was no explosion.

2) If you get to the point that you are in position with a high power rifle, say a Barrett 50 cal. why bother with an iffy shot when you can go after the wing tanks, engines etc. Plug two of those at max gross takeoff and even a 747 is going to be in trouble.

3) What makes people think that there is not a whole lotta kevlar / ceramic armour around those site in the first palce?

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Actually the fuel comes from whatever base they're going in to. The Secret Service goes in 7-10 days ahead, tests the fuel for contamination, fills up pumper trucks with the amount they're going to need, and seals them until the plane gets there. Then they check the seals, test the fuel again, and refuel.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Some other things concerning the plane, all the wiring and electronics on Air Force One are shielded against EMP blasts, and most likely the plane has an NBC suite to protect the president. One other security feature is that Air Force One almost always lands with the right side of the plane which contains the Presidential quarters away from the spectators. Air Force One also carries an extensive ECM suite which includes flares, chaff, and electronic jamming capability. Now, I don't know this for certain but I imagine 28000 and 29000 have been designed with higher levels of ballistic protection than regular 747‘s. Now I don't know if the interior/exterior is bulletproof or bomb proof, or if its designed to better handle crash landings but certainly I think it offers more protection than a regular passenger aircraft. And last Air Force One is able to refuel in mid air which allows for virtually limitless range, however food supply, fatigue, and or mechanical failure make this only a theoretical notion.

How is the wiring immune to EMP blasts? Seems illogical.
Well, generally the senior the rank the more experience that person has had flying planes and the more knowledge he has amassed. Its not necessarily a matter of who has more authority, but who is the better pilot.

[edit on 9-4-2006 by WestPoint23]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join