It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Writing Tutorials and Help

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Everyone is intimidated by writing. I love writing, so does Masqua, and we both have a hell of a time posting some days. Going back, writing and rewriting stories and poems can be draining to the point where you give up. Much less actually posting your work on the internet, which can be terrifying in and of itself.

So, myself and Masqua are here to ask if everyone would like us to form a thread (perhaps, dare I say it, a forum?) to help everyone write. Help with grammar, help with story ideas...generally, a supporting forum to help new writers (or even experienced ones) with their craft. Constructive criticism.

What say you?

DE

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I love this idea, I for one am pretty bad at grammer and that prevents me from joining in the writing forum, Though i have many ideas and would love to add a story,

So from what you have said i love this! I think it will help us scardy writers out there do something and know we will get a little help on the way,

Very god idea!

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I'd be more than happy to help in this way. I'm logged in pretty much every day and can dedicate some time to this.

Being creative in anything is really hard...I know all about it. If you don't believe me, you should check out my painful poetry attempts.

DeusEx and I have both suffered growing pains as writers...let us be your aspirin.

edit for spelling

[edit on 8-4-2006 by masqua]

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
I for one am pretty bad at grammer and that prevents me from joining in the writing forum

We will help put a shine in your line

btw...it's grammar, not grammer

see? you learned something already!

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 08:14 PM
link   
One of the problems with criticism is that it can sometimes be taken the wrong way.

It happens. Please asala, don't ban me

Asala mentioned grammar and I hit her with a criticism on her spelling.

How will s/he take this criticism?

That's the tough part I'm willing to take on, and I'm sure deusEx means to do the same.

BTW,,,punctuation is also important? because if; it"s done/wrong it*s confusing.

We can help you with that too...

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   
We're ready to help anyone who asks. I'm trying to promote writing exercizes via 'challenges' like MUOC, but people have to step up to the plate, make that first leap of faith for us to improve your writing.

Too technical? We can help with that.

Bad grammar in three parts is? Gaul with you help.

Writer's Block? Been there, done that. We can help.

Really.

DE

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Yup, these guys are here to help. They've helped me out quite a bit. Ask away folks.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Haha masqua, See yes i have learned something already.

And i honestly believe that correcting me will only make me a better,

Criticism is the best tool you can ask for if your aim is to improve, I hope members will take this gift and use it,

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   
The question is...who will be the first to try our services out? Well, in an offical capacity. More than a few authors have consulted me privately, but I'm out here to offer my advice in a more public manner.

So, who's first?

DE

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I'm up for it! I like to write (specifically, poetry), however my grammar skills aren't the greatest. Also, I don't read much.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Well, reading is a hardcore requirement. I mean, a lot fo authors draw on reading experience. You have to read a good story to write one, I think. What do you enjoy reading, when you have time?

DE

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Haha. It's funny though with me. I'll be reading a great book, for example, the davinci code. I read half of it, I thought it was amazing. Then I just stopped reading it. That's what always happens, I read half of the book and then I get bored with it. I like mystery type books or military books.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Black Hawk Down, maybe? Some of Chandler's or Gibson's short stories?

Burning Chrome is a favorite. If you can't do whole novels, why not try anthologies?

DE

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I'm online alot, so I read articles and such online. I just don't read whole novels that much.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusExI mean, a lot fo authors draw on reading experience.

DE

What's a "fo author"?

Sorry, just had to.

Your point is valid though, remember our challenge? I read R.E. Howard growing up, I sure needed that background to write fantasy. It gives you a sense of mood and texture.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Good idea DE.,
I would appreciate help with grammar, I love to write but my grammar sucks and without spell check in here I'm lost.
Authors I have favored are Exupery, Tolkien, Kierkegaard, and many others, being a readoholic with a B12 deficiancy it is hard to recall the thousands of books I have devoured.
In happy anticipation of further development.
WIS

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Right now i'm making my first attempt at a short story
. I've been into reading fiction around 2 year now. I figured i'd love to give it ago, so hopefuly soon I should finnish it and post it here. I haven't applied for writer status yet, depending on how much I enjoy writing, I may apply.

Thanks for all the great links, i'm sure they are gonna come in useful. It's good to know there are people here willing to read over my work too, really it is.

You'll all be hearing from me soon no doubt.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Edit for double post, D'OH!

[edit on 23-8-2006 by R1ghteous]

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I am currently writing a story, so far it is around 2600 words long but I plan to keep it up as a side hobby. Like it was said in a previous post writing is great for getting all of the ideas out of my head although the only thing is that I have to physically write/type it. I have tried writing several stories which have been long forgotten and disposed of somewhere or other.

link- this it the link of the story so far.

if that doesn't work (you may have to become a member on the my forum)

then use the link in my sig titled "Secured Fate"

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   
It's not bad, Funny. It has a few mistakes for you to correct- for instance 'warn' instead of 'worn'. That aside, there are a few small sentences that don't fit it right- they break the tempo of the story up. As well, the descriptions are a little wooden and I have no sense of the motivations of the characters.

Those are the things you could improve on.

As for your strengths, everything is very clear. I have perfect images of what's going on, what everyone looks like, and where they are. I am looking forwards to see how you will improve your story.

DE

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join