It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever get bored?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Do you think the human race will ever get bored? i mean like in 1000 years, if were still here, surely there wouldnt be anything left to invent or design or upgrade. Computers would be so advanced we couldnt even comprehend them now and game systems' graphics couldnt possibly get better. Travel will also be much fast, commercial aircraft crossing the atlantic in maybe 30 minutes, opposed to about 8 hours. along with traveling, i think this is the one exception to not getting more advanced, i dont think you can ever stop egtting faster. So i really dont mean bored, just like kind of done. maxing out our possibilities to advance as a race. Unless of course something bad were to happen (meteor, asteroid) anyways, any of your thaughts?

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I find that highly unlikely, as science will never exactly "die out"... What in the end we find ourselfs understanding that its only our imagination that limits us to what we can achieve in science and technology.

As well as in 1000 years, we've probably only covered 0.00001% of the universe

apc

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   
As long as there are trees, Mankind will never get bored.

I'm fairly proficient in various technological fields, and I hate every one of them. I even despise the computer I'm typing on right now, and I get paid to repair the electronics in these damn things.

Often I will enjoy the simple pleasure of a drive out into the middle of nowhere away from civilization. It's one of the few truely enjoyable things I have left. As technology progresses, expect to see more and more people disassociate from it, part of the time at least, in favor of a return to the green world.

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I'm sure the human race will reach a certain utopia. I mean no real work, machines will do everything. It will ultimately leave us with nothing really to do.

The scary thing IMO is the more we advance in science, the bigger weapons get.. the bigger the weapon the more the destruction.. a global threat??

I think we will cease to exist in 1000 years.. perhaps even 500?? We have constant mutating viruses/ an ever-aging population getting bigger and bigger/ laziness making many people unhealthy because alot of work is done for them/ reliance on technology/ asteroids/ volcanos/ war/ resources running out etc... I'm sure there are many more things.. Eventually.. we don't know when.. but eventually i'm sure we will all die. The planet is dying as we speak.. we will follow suit

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   
If the human race is even here in a thousand years, they will still have things to ponder about.

But the problem is that our science matures, but we as a race do not. We are still as immature as intelligent beings as we were 50,000 years ago. Sure, we have more advanced technologies, but we act so primal and irresponsible with them we only usually use them for war and death. We fight ourselves and destroy our planet in the process, and each year we churn out new and more devastating methods of death, via science.

If we dont shape up, in a thousand years, we might not be here to be bored.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I was thinking about this just the other day.

I came to the conclusion (after about 3 minutes of thought -.-) that the highest echelons of science would be universal creation and manipulation.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 04:58 AM
link   
If I were to live ten thousand years, I would never be bored.

Being bored is letting others have the responsibility for keeping you entertained and engaged in life.

It is up to YOU to keep yourself engaged in the endeavor of life.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I think that about a hundred years ago people were asking themselves that same question when the first inventions came out that is " this is the best what could possibly be better then this ?" and yet look where we are in the tech field today so i think that of course things will still be advancing in a thousand years. Of every thing that we as the human race know about things today there are still somethings like unidentified plants and animals and medical conditions for which there is no cure.
People are even being cryogenicly frozen in the hope that someday some sort of technology will be available to reanimate them and with that i come to ask the question " If we do find a way to reanimate frozen people then how long will it be before we can reanimate the dead,since the frozen people are indeed dead anyway. could this be the answer to everlasting life?? i dont know but there are still so many questions that torment my mind and a regrett that i probably wont be able to live long enough to find out all there is to know.

just a thought.

Omega

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   
If as you say the world might end because of technology advances, then we don't have a thousand years because of accelerated devlopment a thousand years of advance should happen in the next 20 years.

The biggest upsurge in technology in the history of humankind is on it's way now. By 2010, the amount of usefull knowledge in the world will be doubling every minute. AI, everlasting Health, warp drive, time-travel, you name it, may soon be possible.

picoscience.8m.com...

picoscience.8m.com...

picoscience.8m.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   
No, make that 10,000 years worth of technological advance in the next twenty years.

Yeah, 10,000 years....naw make that...

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   
As i read and thaught about you responses, i came to the conclusion (not to go off topic) that we would never let technology take over our lives. I mean like highly advanced robots. If we gave them every job in the world to do, it would be useless, money would never come into play anymore. If you wanted to buy a new car today you save up for it from your paychecks from work. if a robot who doesnt need payed does your job, we wont have money to spend on a car. unless we lived in a completely free world, but if everything was free, the robots would decide why should they work if they dont get anything for it and they can have whatever they want. (suppose these are highly highly advanced robots) anyways thats all i have time to type now.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Im sorry bodebliss, but that website you posted is full of BS, theres no way we're gonna be doubling our technological progress every hour by 2010. You'd need A.Is and all sorts for that and thats not gonna happen soon. Best i predict by 2010, are 8mutil core cpus as standard, everyone running Vista, super slim phones with more features, high def TVs in most homes,good broadband... but nothing life-changing.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 01:40 AM
link   
What do u guys think about the subject of non manned weapons and millitary systems in the future?? this could lead to catastrophic outcomes.??

Omega

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar

the problem is that our science matures, but we as a race do not.

I take it you refer to ethical maturity rather than physical evolution. If so, your comment is correct and to the point.

However, we may hope that immature humanity is only a stage in the development of a higher sentience whose outlook will be a little more grown-up than ours. Whether that sentience, when it comes to be, incorporates us or merely succeeds us is irrelevant in the greater scheme of things -- though obviously it will have a great deal of importance to us.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 03:21 AM
link   
This is absolutely an amazing statement.It triggers all types of thoughts in my mind.

Cheers.
Omega

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by picard_is_actually_a_grey
Im sorry bodebliss, but that website you posted is full of BS, theres no way we're gonna be doubling our technological progress every hour by 2010. You'd need A.Is and all sorts for that and thats not gonna happen soon. Best i predict by 2010, are 8mutil core cpus as standard, everyone running Vista, super slim phones with more features, high def TVs in most homes,good broadband... but nothing life-changing.

Then your a loner. Because the doubling effect is already noted, has occurred and is accelerating. There will be an 'event horizon' type event in that time frame like it or not.

I'm sure the people of 1890 thought,'this is the height of UP' but then came airplanes, automobiles, wireless, etc.

Technology is about to go ballistic and in a short time frame. It will affect all levels at once. From the compiling, to distribution, to reimplementation of data for reinvention and newer application in an ever faster turn-around till our heads are spinning from the ever faster whirl-wind of advance.

It would be counter-intuitive to think otherwise.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 07:18 AM
link   
This wouldnt suprise me . i have heared that they have perfected Teleportation but the thing that they are working on is its power source.
they say that nothing on earth, not even the sun could generate enough energy to make this process work efficiently . so then i think about nuclear fusion . what are your guys thoughts??

Omega

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I love the fact primitive man did not think the wheel and the ability to cook food was as good as it gets.

The amounts of information chemist, phsyicist, biologist and mathematicians have accumulated, is far too much to be dealt with at this time. Fromt he way I have read it, it took 60 uneccesary years for someone to develop the theory of special and general relativity. Everything necessary to develop the theories had been in existence for almost 60 years, just no one was interdisciplinary enoguh to bring the two together: math and physics.

At universities now, interdisciplinary studies are becoming more and more common, popular and necessary for graduation, and to work certain jobs. Amazing to think that in 100 or 200 years that students studying physics alone will not be suffice for their graduation requirements, rather they will need to be both physicist, mathematician, chemist and biologist.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Cornell University is tackling this with it's new Interdisciplinary science centers:

www.albright.edu...

www.nbtc.cornell.edu...

The trend is toward faster crunching of new data and distribution of results to interdiscipline review.

That was a serious bottleneck. Also the number of super computers is rapidly advancing. They are becoming cheaper to create and operate.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I think by 2010, also, nothing will have happened to be life altering, but damn i cant wait to play on a computer then. also, this so called doubling every second by 2010 thing is bs. no way. that would mean in like 5 years wed have figured out the meaning of life and stuff.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join