It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British S&B members?

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Just curious, does anyone know of any British members of the Skull and Bones? Can foreigners even be a member? I just wondered as universities take foreign students, are they accepted into thier societies too?

CX.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   
it hasnt been proven that there really exists any foreign member of S&B, but it seems that they have kept with prominent american families thru out the years. It could be argued that becuase they have been more relaxed recently in their allowing different races and females it could inherently be possible. But again, until the list of names comes out in a couple of decades from now (which it eventually will) we wont be able to know.

-EyE

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by searchingeye
But again, until the list of names comes out in a couple of decades from now (which it eventually will) we wont be able to know.

But aren't all new Bones members published annually in the Yale paper? And isn't their Bones membership even noted on their transcripts?

During the '04 election, a few websites had posted the Shrub's transcripts, assumedly to prove he was somewhat less than a certified genius. Under "fraternal associations", Skull and Bones was listed alongside some Greek Letter Society.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by searchingeye
. It could be argued that becuase they have been more relaxed recently in their allowing different races and females it could inherently be possible.

Im pretty sure Females are still not allowed in Skull & Bones they have their own version in which females are allowed " Scroll and Key " or "Dagger and scroll" Something like that.

It would be like a Male joining a sorority if they allowed females in S&B

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Scroll and Key is another frat at Yale, not the female version of SnB. Its not as popular because there wasn't a cheesy movie version of it

external image

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Perhaps I worded that wrong, I didnt mean Scroll and Key was a sorority just that it accepts female members like Alexandra Robbins for example.

She was a member of Scroll and Key and has written many books about it and S&B. Last I heard S&B accepted no Female members and any women that wanted to join S&B joined Scroll and Key instead.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Skull and Bones has been admitting female members since 1992. A&E once ran a show called "Secret Societies", where several members of Skull and bones were interviewed, both male and female.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Perhaps I worded that wrong, I didnt mean Scroll and Key was a sorority just that it accepts female members like Alexandra Robbins for example.

She was a member of Scroll and Key and has written many books about it and S&B. Last I heard S&B accepted no Female members and any women that wanted to join S&B joined Scroll and Key instead.

Scroll & Key is just another Secret Society at Yale. It was not set up to allow females members that could not join Skull & Bones. Women are however able to join.

Where did you find out that Ms. Robbins is a member of "Scroll & Key", I have read her book, "Secrets of the Tomb", and in it she does not say which secret society she is a member of...

-- Boat

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boatphone

Where did you find out that Ms. Robbins is a member of "Scroll & Key", I have read her book, "Secrets of the Tomb", and in it she does not say which secret society she is a member of...

-- Boat

She said so on a TV interview. Shes been pretty open about it now, she said she could not join S&B as a female but was allowed to join Scroll and key. Here you can see mention of it on Yale Alumni magazine. You can find other mention of it though.

explained Secrets of the Tomb author Alexandra Robbins '98 about her membership in Scroll and Key

www.yalealumnimagazine.com...

Masonic Light were did you see this info about S&B accepting female members since 1992? The most recent member lists I can find only go to 1985.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

Masonic Light were did you see this info about S&B accepting female members since 1992? The most recent member lists I can find only go to 1985.

A couple of years ago, A&E ran a show on Skull and Bones where they interviewed several Skull and Bones alumni, both male and female. Here's a brief write-up from Yale University's website:

Skull & Bones is the oldest, and by far the most prestigious, of the senior societies; The Skulls, a recent film on the society, will only further its notoriety. The other societies are obsessed with discovering its secrets; some societies even have rooms dedicated to Bones memorabilia.

In actuality, Bones is neither as sinister nor as influential as it is made out to be. Traditionally, Bones selects the fifteen juniors at Yale who have most distinguished themselves in extracurricular accomplishment. In recent years, however, outside observers suggest that there has been an increasing emphasis on finding people who have the personal qualities to build strong friendships with one another.

Skull & Bones was one of the last of the societies to admit women and the manner in which this was done led to a serious rift in the society. Bones is the only society with a summer home: a private island getaway on the St. Lawrence River between New York state and Ontario.

Source

And here's an article dealing with the "rift" between the older alumni who wanted the Skull and Bones to remain all-male, and the younger ones who pushed it in the coed direction.

new topics

top topics

join