It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uk will buy JSF

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   
i cannot prvide the source as it is a letter sitting on my desk but:

Deear Mr ******

Thak you for your email of 13 March , i have been asked to reply,

I`d like to start by addressing the point you made about the rising cost of the joint strike fighter (jsf) programme. Whilst it is true that the estimates of the system design and development phase have increased from $28 billion to over $41 billion , the UK contribution is fixed at approximate $2 billion. Actual production costs have yet to be set. The JSF was chosen as the optimum solution to the UK`s Joint Combat Aircraft requirement compared to other aircraft, including Rafale and marinised Typhoon, and was judged to be the most effective platform for power projection. Therefore we ramin commited to the JSF programme.

That is word for word the first paragraph (any spelling mistakes are my own)

The rest of the letter is about the early withdraw of sea harrier.

UK will be getting JSF.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   

The JSF was chosen as the optimum solution to the UK`s Joint Combat Aircraft requirement compared to other aircraft, including Rafale and marinised Typhoon, and was judged to be the most effective platform for power projection. Therefore we remain commited to the JSF program.

Was the JCA requirement not the whole reason for starting the program? As in, they decided early 90s that the JSF proposal was a better deal than the then in development Rafale and Eurofighter...?

Being committed to the program may only mean the development program, and not necessarily purchasing - the words aren't unambiguous, there has been room for manoeuvre left there yet.

Not doubting you've posted this in good faith, but politicans/decision makers can be slimy and very efficient with words.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 10:12 AM
link   
About the withdraw of sea harrier ( shortened lol)

basically they say that sea dart (with infra red fuses) and ciws are enough , and with the type 45 and PAAMS and the `operational experience` that RN carrier aircraft are used as strike aircraft - air defence fighters arn`t really needed - and they believe that in the futre the main threat will be from high speed sea skiming cruise missiles which in there own words `the sea harrier is not well suited to counter this threat`.

is it me or is history repeating itself here.

i`m going to write back of course , the address is `level 3 zone c , whitehall` which anyone who is anyone should know who that is.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Good news...

I was waiting for this to happend...

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I could of swore I read the same thing on a F-16 forum....
I reserve my judgement until it has some combat time, same with the Raptor

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 07:44 PM
link   
At last! I find no reason UK and US should or would be broken out. Sine UK has already run Typhoon, run Rafale again will be un-economic.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Wow Jsf is going to kick some ass for 20 years. Is there anything up and coming that can rival it?

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   
This isn't really any different to what's been the official line for years now, basically we're still going ahead, but only for the time being. I don't think this is anything akin to "we're definatley 100% going to buy this plane".

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 04:37 AM
link   
So who compromised ?

Did the US agree to share technology or did the UK decide it was alright with not having it ? Or is what was worked out somewhere in between ?

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Nothings changed stealth spy, this is a standard statement and has been out for ages, you'll notice there is still no order for any F-35's from the UK yet.

we have been 'committed' to the F-35 for years but we still haven't bought any and the arguments are still ongoing.

top topics

join