It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Gonzales Suggests Domestic Wiretapping Without Warrants Legal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
During a House Judiciary Committee hearing on Thursday, Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales refused to rule out the possibility of legal grounds supporting the president's authority to wiretap purely domestic calls without a warrant.

www.nytimes.com
Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales suggested on Thursday for the first time that the president might have the legal authority to order wiretapping without a warrant on communications between Americans that occur exclusively within the United States.

"I'm not going to rule it out," Mr. Gonzales said when asked about that possibility at a House Judiciary Committee hearing.

The attorney general made his comments, which critics said reflected a broadened view of the president's authority, as President Bush offered another strong defense of his decision to authorize the National Security Agency to eavesdrop without warrants on international calls and e-mail messages to or from the United States.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Welcome to the unfettered executive. No warrants. No judicial review. No appeal.

"Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither" Benjamin Franklin

Perhaps we don't...
[edit on 7-4-2006 by loam]

[edit on 9/4/06 by JAK]

[edit on 9-4-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
So then for what has our soldiers and fallen soldiers are fighting or have fought for in our nation?

So freedom and liberty is just a joke in our present administration.

What a slap in the face of all of us that had family member that have given their lifes so Gonzales and Bush can now spit all over

What a shame.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
voted yes. this is pretty important, another little step to a huge change.

do we not see whats happening at all? such a slap in the face. they truely believe that only 30-30 years later they can get away with the same things that were deemed illegal when a former administration tried to do it. what a damn shame.

all in the name of your safety. sure youll be safe....but then again what the point of living safe if your not living at all...thats what freedom is. without that whats the point of being safe?

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Isn't it crystal clear that Gonzales is as much a criminal as most of the other appointees in this administration? Sure he's going to say that. He'll say whatever he's told to say. He got his job because it was understood he'd crawl ip the ugly bunghole as as far necessary to further the mission of this administration.

He doesn't even have to be sworn in when he testifies, so that his lies cannot be considered criminal if he gets caught.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Whistle-Blower Outs NSA Spy Room

AT&T provided National Security Agency eavesdroppers with full access to its customers' phone calls, and shunted its customers' internet traffic to data-mining equipment installed in a secret room in its San Francisco switching center, according to a former AT&T worker cooperating in the Electronic Frontier Foundation's lawsuit against the company.

Mark Klein, a retired AT&T communications technician, submitted an affidavit in support of the EFF's lawsuit this week. That class action lawsuit, filed in federal court in San Francisco last January, alleges that AT&T violated federal and state laws by surreptitiously allowing the government to monitor phone and internet communications of AT&T customers without warrants.

On Wednesday, the EFF asked the court to issue an injunction prohibiting AT&T from continuing the alleged wiretapping, and filed a number of documents under seal, including three AT&T documents that purportedly explain how the wiretapping system works.

More...

:shk:

This is just too bizarre... What country am I in?

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I know what it is, they just recently saw V for Vendetta.

Apparently, they left before the movie ended.

[edit on 9-4-2006 by WanderingMind]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 08:03 AM
link   
This seems to also link up with this:

AT&T sends bulk internet data to the NSA. Apparently that was without warrants or any judicial review either.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I left the USA shortly after 911. My first thought was, "Bush did this." My second thought was, "It's going to get worse. Much worse." My third thought: "I'm outta here."

My sister always said I viewed the world through rose colored glasses. So maybe I'm just psychic?

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Shades of Dictatorship.

We know, we know.

Its for our protection.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   
No, its for their protection. I don't care what Big Nose 'Berto says, it is also not only illegal, but un-Constitutional.

I, for one, am not going anywhere. I am going to stay here and speak out and try to rally the good people of this country to overcome the attempts at tyranny being foisted on us by our elected representatives in Washington, DC.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 10:55 AM
link   
The entire justification for the previous wiretapping issue was that it was listening in on conversations of foreigners, in foreign countries, that were suspected of being terrorists. Thats one of those 'shades of gray' issues perhaps.

But this is much different, this is like taking a listening device and attaching it to some main domestic telephone line and listening to everyone.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
The entire justification for the previous wiretapping issue was that it was listening in on conversations of foreigners, in foreign countries, that were suspected of being terrorists.

Exactly.

It makes me wonder whether Gonzales' statement is in preparation for defense of any purely domestic wiretapping already conducted by the president.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Funny. The sky looks the same. The birds are singing and i'm getting ready to set up my deck.

I guess i'm safe as long as those black helicopters dont land on my lawn.

I find it increasingly hard to see whats happening.

*Opens up a can of Coke*

I wonder what this world has in store for us.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Disgusting...but I am sure there will be those justifying their actions on here as a matter of patriotism....but as Samuel Johnson said..."Patriotism is the last refuge of the scandral"...but ya know I am getting sick and tired of listening to these colaborationists trying to justify the depradations of this deeply criminal administration. When are they going to wake up and realize that these people are not conservatives and the most certianly are not patriots and they need to be removed from power...the whole kittenkaboddle, and tossed in jail. if it isn't done, the republic is lost.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Isn't he the guy who said it was ok for Bush to illegally wiretap people's phones because George Washington and Abraham Lincoln did it? Just goes to show who gets power in this administration.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   
and we finally see that even a republic can eventually fall apart...its not exempt from the corruption of money, business, and power. the democratic republic...never successful, just a temporary system that held up for some time.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   

None of this would be happening if those two lap dogs parted ways.

[edit on 10-4-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

It makes me wonder whether Gonzales' statement is in preparation for defense of any purely domestic wiretapping already conducted by the president.

Uh huh.

AT&T Narus Collaboration Sent Your Private Internet Communications to The NSA

Wakey wakey.

Gonzales is a finder of loopholes. That's his job in this administration.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I'd like to know something from everyone that criticizes the government for doing what it takes to thwart any potential attacks on American citizens and American interests!

How would you go about gathering intelligence that may lead to the arrest/capture of potential terrorists that may be operating within our borders?

All I read and hear is how sorry the Bush administration is for "stomping" on our rights and that they're actions are unconstitutional.

Please. I'd like to read some ideas on solutions of how to stop the next attack. You know that our enemies are planning them. What can we do to stop them? There are a lot of bright people in these forums. Let's hear some ideas.

My solution you may ask? Exactly what the government is doing right now, so how about put up or stand aside and let the authorities go about what they're doing.

Any ideas people on how to stop the next attack? You know it's coming. What's your solution on how to catch the perpetrators?

I'm waiting!

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I used to try to oppose such things as this but after a discussion that opened my eyes I realized its just easier to step back, take a deep breath and let it happen because its going to happen wether we let it or not. We don't have the power to effect the necessary change so why wind up dead, in jail, or out of a job for speaking your mind when its easier to shut up?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join