It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

whats in costa rica?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Im going backpacking thru the rainforest in Costa Rica for 30 days in august and i was wondering if there is anything i should know about. (ie. chupacabras or anything along those lines.)

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I took a 10 day trip to costa rica once, you'll need the following:

Ziploc or similar bags to keep your socks in, as it is impossible to keep them dry in that climate.

At least 2 pair of hiking boots, that mud gets NASTY

A capable guide, and I can't stress this enough, you must be careful of the fur-de-lance, one of the most venomous snakes in the world, and native to Costa Rica.

Camera, Binoculars, etc.

Dehydrated food isn't a bad idea, especially beef jerky.

If you don't have them already waiting for you, mosquito netting.

A healthy love of coffee, as it is customary to have with every meal, at least one cup. Also, learn to tolerate beans and rice in large amounts.

Other than that, you can U2U me with any questions you've got.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   
did you see much vipers of any sort? or turantulas or anything that will bite sting stab or otherwise hurt me?

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by edwardteach
did you see much vipers of any sort? or turantulas or anything that will bite sting stab or otherwise hurt me?

You are going to the Costa Rican Rain Forest. I think it is pretty safe to

say that there will most definitaly be vipers, turantulas, jaguars and many,

many other things that can and willl bite, stab, sting, mame and inflict

great bodily harm. And don't forget to tuck your pant legs in if you go in the

water, They got this nasty fish that will borrow in you rectum. Not a

pleasent thing if you ask me. Just follow every instruction the guide gives

you, and dont stray to far from the group, you'll be fine.

It will be an amazing experience. Be safe and be smart.

[edit on 6-4-2006 by digitalassassin]

[edit on 6-4-2006 by digitalassassin]

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 12:37 AM
link   
When my friend visited Coast Rica a couple of years ago this was one of the things they warned him about.

These sites contain some pictures, not all pretty. Nasty little buggers that use humans as hosts for their lil’ maggot babies.

www.vexman.com...

www.ambergriscaye.com...

www.worsleyschool.net...

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Do they have those fish that swim up your urine stream and lodge themselves in your penis in Costa Rica? If so dont urinate in the river...

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by scepticsteve
Do they have those fish that swim up your urine stream and lodge themselves in your penis in Costa Rica? If so dont urinate in the river...

Ah the candiru fish nasty little bugger , I think Costa Rica indeed has them. The Bot fly TantricWolf mentioned is another nasty parasite, The larva the things plant inside you are actually pretty big. The jungle is full of nasty parasites. A bunch you dont even have to drink or eat anything to get several types of parasites can penetrate intact skin
in the jungle

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I might go to Costa Rica in the summer of 07 for a school trip, but it's $2000 and its 40 people, so I don't know if its worth it.

So, is Costa Rica a fun destination and worth going?

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   
IMO it depends on what your going for. Night life? Beaches? Rain forest adventure?

If you just want to party hit the bars or go to beaches theres better places to go IMO. The rain forest hikes and Rafting in Costa rica are suppose to great

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Well, umm...I think I'm gonna stock up on bug spray. Thanks for all the info. That fish makes me a bit nervous, is there any repellent for them?

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Bit more info on them here:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by edwardteach
Well, umm...I think I'm gonna stock up on bug spray. Thanks for all the info. That fish makes me a bit nervous, is there any repellent for them?

Small point, the bugs don't tend to obey the law of bug repellent. Stick with the mosquito nets and cover up when possible.

top topics

join