It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Computer is FULL of Viruses, please help!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Until about a week ago, my computer was virus free, now it has about 14 "potentially deadly" viruses. I think one of them is the Black Worm virus. I had a security message about some information being sent to a remote computer, too.

My computer is REALLY slow and my internet connection may aswell be 28k dial-up.

I can't find any free anti-virus software - although I do currently have McAfee and Norton, but they aren't getting rid of the viruses.

Please can you let me know of any good, free anti-virus software, this is driving me insane.

Thank you.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Well the first thing that jumps out at me is you have 2 antivirus programs on your pc. I am suprised you can do anything with those two on there, only run ONE antivirus, secondly, when something is free, you get what you pay for, nothing for nothing as far as antivirus protection. Your best bet is to back up your important data such as email addresses if your on a pop3 account, back up your documents, pictures, anything important and wipe it clean and rebuild from scratch.

A second option, while not as secure as the first is to buy a new HD, put it in as master, change your existing one to a slave, install your OS, copy your data, then wipe the other one.

Either way, you should wipe the other one clean and rebuild

I am a network admin so I speak from experience.

Good luck

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Thanks for the help, its much appreciated.

My mum uses this computer alot, and because she is a teacher, she has an absolute ****load of work on here. I'll have to discuss it with her. I can't see her being too happy.

Thanks, again.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by xeroxed88
Thanks for the help, its much appreciated.

My mum uses this computer alot, and because she is a teacher, she has an absolute ****load of work on here. I'll have to discuss it with her. I can't see her being too happy.

Thanks, again.

No problem, in your case, it would be easier to go get a small HD install it and copy over all of her files, then wipe and reload.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   
www.windowsonecare.com

Download the 30 day Free Trial

If you purchase the one year subscription in April you can get it for $19.95 rather than the $49.95 it will cost afterwards. This will do alot of the work for you.

For the Blackworm virus.. Follow these Steps. It Will Remove It!

Go to www.google.com and Search for Vundo Download this vundo removal tool from a Symantec website and run it. Reboot your computer and the blackworm should be removed.

Go to www.noahdfear.geekstogo.com and download Smitrem Run this program as well, its very simple to use. Download it and extract.. then just double click on the Runthis.bat file.

You can try an online virus scan with Microsoft at Safety.Live.com which will also help out your system.

I would Highly Recommend running these in Safe mode. If your not familiar with safe mode just shut your computer down completely. Find the F8 key at the top of the computer and then power your computer up. Immediately begin to tap on F8 and look for the Windows Advanced Options Menu and use the arrows on your keyboard to go up to Safe Mode with Networking Then select your version of windows which is preselected to boot up your system.

Run all these programs here and you will notice a big improvement in the state of the system.

Your problems CAN be resolved and deffinately their is no need to wipe anything.

If you need any help feel free to U2U me for any additional information or call 1-866-727-2338 for FREE phone support from Microsoft to help you remove the infections on your system.

For the blackworm, the Vundo removal tool that I have recommended will work. Give it a shot!

[edit on 6-4-2006 by chissler]

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Thank you!

I'll go do it now and let you know.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   
That Windows OneCare, you can get a 30 day free trial that will protect your system from Virus and spyware, it will due different house keeping chores as well. Such as defrags and clean ups without having to press a button.

It will tell you that in 30 days its going to expire, but between me, you and the rest of ATS who is reading this, it will protect you for another 30 days after it expires!

Get rid of Mcafee and Norton though.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   
In terms of free anti_virus, I have found the free avg is the best.
free.grisoft.com...

I also use the following anti-spy programs:
ccleaner:
www.ccleaner.com...

adawear se:
www.lavasoft.de...

spybot search and distroy:
www.download.com...

I also recomend a softwear firewall, I use free zonealarm:
www.download.com...

Hope this helps you.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   
ZoneAlarm can be helpful and protect your system. But its with an iron fist and can do alot of damage.

The windows firewall that comes in Service Pack 2 is not the greatest one out there but it protects your system and works well with other programs.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Wow, thanks guys. The symantec Vundo removal tool is still scanning.

I'll keep you posted.

[edit on 6-4-2006 by xeroxed88]

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   
If it does not succesfully remove all the components of the blackworm, be sure to attempt it in safe mode.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   
In my experience, I have found that it is simply easier for a normal user to do what I suggested, now if the user was experienced like some of us on here are, I would recomment digging into the system to manually remove this thing. The biggest problem with doing a manual removal of a virus is many times the virus changes the registry or installs hidden files somewhere and unless your competent enough to mess with the registry and know how to find hidden files the user may end up doing MORE damage instead of fixing the problem.

I have had to work on several computers that the user THOUGHT they knew what they were doing, well, they didnt, and I had to repair it which cost them money and downtime for their system.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Smitrem can help to restore your registry settings, which was exactly why I suggested it.

Not all members have the luxury of replacing hard drives whenever they run into a problem. Especially in this day and age when so many make so much money off of these ads. Buying a new HD will only delay the inevitable which is becoming infected again.

So rather than grabbing some new hardware everytime you get these infections, I would recommend becoming familiar with having the capabilities of removing it and saving yourself the money.

Just my .02

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Woop! Symantec worked 100%. No more blackworm for me.

Thanks, again.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Glad to hear!

If you ever need any further information, I would recommend book marking this link.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Woop! Symantec worked 100%. No more blackworm for me.

Thanks, again.

Great

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Smitrem can help to restore your registry settings, which was exactly why I suggested it.

Not all members have the luxury of replacing hard drives whenever they run into a problem. Especially in this day and age when so many make so much money off of these ads. Buying a new HD will only delay the inevitable which is becoming infected again.

So rather than grabbing some new hardware everytime you get these infections, I would recommend becoming familiar with having the capabilities of removing it and saving yourself the money.

Just my .02

Good point, in one of your posts you mentioned getting rid of norton, I run norton at home with no problems at all, I also run MS antispyware and have that set to run every other morning at 3am, so far (crossing fingers) everything seems to be clean.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 08:44 AM
link   
You have voted Striker8441 for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

Thanks for the help too, Striker. Its much appreciated.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 09:11 AM
link   

You have voted Striker8441 for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

Thanks for the help too, Striker. Its much appreciated.

Thanks, its no problem like I said, I do this all day and I love my job!!
Now, if it just paid just a little bit more LOL

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Good point, in one of your posts you mentioned getting rid of norton, I run norton at home with no problems at all, I also run MS antispyware and have that set to run every other morning at 3am, so far (crossing fingers) everything seems to be clean.

Two things there... Microsoft Antispyware (MAST) is now absolete with Microsoft. They have upgraded MAST to Windows Defender. So if your looking for current up to date Spyware protection you'll find it with Windows Defender.

And with Norton, yeah they have been the king of the past but they are on a steady decline. Making less profits on an annual basis, so they have resorted to creating the best program they can with the least amount of money and effort. The more recent Nortons compared to those of the past are nowhere close to the standard they once held.

If its working, then great! But I would never catch myself paying for an annual subscription to their product. When I could find free software or pay less than $20 for other annual subscriptions.

[edit on 7-4-2006 by chissler]

top topics

join