It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cybernetic Prosthesis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I was browsing the internet and came across this story with a video.

rdu.news14.com...

This news story had been regarding women who had lost her eyesight in an autombile accident many years ago.
However, she has had an implant attached to her allowing her to see.

This story however got me thinking as to whether this technology could get to the point that it was advanced enough to have (in this case) better qualities that the normal human eye and be as descreet so as to not hinder the user in any way.

If this became the case, is it possible that a new form of cosmetic surgery may develope where by individuals with no biological defects or injuries would pay to have the use of these technological advancements?

How far would it go?

Is it not possible that all body parts could be developed?
Advancements could lead to the possibility of a physically fit or disabled person could custom design there own body?

What would be the potentially consequences of doing so?

Would it not be possible that a threat in the future could be of non physical virus's infecting these human/robot hybrids. This virus could lead to causing control of said people to be affected to be lost.

Or would cosmetic prosthesis be out of the question to a certain level?

At what point do you change psychological?

It may get to the point that someone decides to have prosthesis surgery, notes an improvment in themselves and gains a better quality of life from the improvments that the prosthetic limb provided. They then decide they want to improve their lives somewhat further or to aid them in some area of employment. It would potentially become an addiction where by individuals are only identified by a concious mind within a robitic shell.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I think it will take a long time to make better than human limbs..

Maybe eyesight could as you say be improved upon.. i read somewhere about the new contac-lenses that improves sight and lets you not get blinded by sunlight etc.. i think football players where among the first to try them out.. but its still not what you are talking about..

But i think before we come near this kind of machine perfection, there will be much developement and use of exoskelletons.

I dont know really wich time frame you are thinking about.. say 100 years from now ?

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   
It may take a substancial amount of time for this level of development to occur however, if you consider how far this field has been developed so far and the current projects that are in development, it is possible that it could occur in the non too distant future.

www.sigmorobot.com...

www.worldhealth.net... f-touch.html

www.devicelink.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
IF they put their minds to it they could probably have prototypes for the limbs by somwhere in between 2015-2020. Also they would need a great deal of funds.

top topics

join