It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Einstein Syndrome

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Late Talkers

My four-year-old son does not talk. I've heard him say only a few words, and those instances are few and far between. He's in speech therapy.

I decided to run a search and see if there was anything that could possibly answer my question: why is this child not talking?

Then I learned about Thomas Sowell and his books about bright children who are late talkers.

Here are the signs:

1. Outstanding and precocious analytical and/or musical abilities

My son loves music--he constantly has to have his CD player on. As for analytical--he is constantly watching things. He builds something, he has to inspect it from all angles. I never really taught him how to work his CD player, but he managed to figure it out, I guess from watching me!

2.Outstanding memories

Very true here! I think he got that from me. I'm really good at remembering dates and account numbers myself.

3.Strong wills

And how! This child is just plain bull-headed!

4. Highly selective interests,leading to unusual achievements in some areas and disinterest and ineptness in others

Not sure about this yet. But you have a time trying to get him to color for some reason.

5.Delayed Toilet Training

I'd say so here. He didn't start potty training until he was about 3 years, 3 months. Within a month, though, he was fully trained. Funny thing was he was staying dry at night first!

6.Precocious ability to read and/or use numbers and/or use computers

Right around his second birthday he was learning letters and numbers. I'd quiz him on it. I think he can read a few things, but how do I know if he doesn't talk?

7. Close relatives in occupations requiring outstanding analytical and /or musical abilities

I'm not in an occupation, but I taught myself how to read music at age 4 and was in the school marching band. Musical ability runs in my mother's side of the family.

8.Unusual concentration and absorption in what they are doing.

I'll say. Sometimes he'll be intent in what he's doing, and you can't seem to get his attention.

My son's speech therapist never heard of this until I told her about it...the books on this are pretty recent, within the last few years. Kids are being misdiagnosed as being autistic or PDD, and it turns out that there was nothing wrong with them.

I wonder if this is the case with my son--in which case, I can stop worrying and know that he'll start talking when he's ready. It seems that there are some children who are so left-brained that their brains put a hold on speech for a while. And it's mostly boys who have Einstein Syndrome, which does not surprise me in the least.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 08:02 AM
link   
WOW that was interesting. My son didnt start to talk until he was 3 and that was just a few words. He started talking in sentences when he was 4, but you couldnt understand him half the time. He is now 7 and has been in speech therapy for a few years, and is now doing great. I would have to agree with almost everything they found. He potty trained himself at 16months. In one day he was potty trained. The rest of it is right on though. He has a photographic memory that would blow your mind. He has understood math and was correcting his older brothers math homework before he was ever taught it. He has a huge interest in music -yea because I do too. Right now he knows exactly what he wants to be when he grows up. He is seven and is learning everything he can about politics so that he can be president. SO, someday we might have another pres. Polk.
very cool find.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I'd say ES all right!

Basically for these kids late talking is normal. I plan on going to the library and seeing if I can get hold of one of Thomas Sowell's books.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 03:20 AM
link   
You'd better look at autism or an autism related disorder like Aspberger syndrome (which Einstein suffered from). There are an epidemic number of these cases now thanks largely to heavy metal poisoning (mercury) in our vaccines and in some cases the over use of antibiotics.

Look into wheat and casein (milk) free diets, chelation to remove the toxic metals and early intervention such as ABA therapy. Your doctor will discount this of course, in order to protect his arse.

www.danconference.com...
www.autismweb.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders
You'd better look at autism or an autism related disorder like Aspberger syndrome

?????

But he is perfectly fine. Just a late talker. Why would I suspect autism??? Now if you kid does not make eye contact with you and does not want to comuticate with you, then that would be totaly different.

[edit on 7-4-2006 by mrsdudara]

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Just a quick question.. Are both parent English speakers? And is there any deafness in the family/ sign language?

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Ha, just thought.. Einstein syndrome?! Casanova was simlar until he had his first experience.. never said a word but took everything in.. we either have a young genius or a very lucky boy!!

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amethyst

My son's speech therapist never heard of this until I told her about it...the books on this are pretty recent, within the last few years. Kids are being misdiagnosed as being autistic or PDD, and it turns out that there was nothing wrong with them.

I have to agree with you here. My kid is 6... He is at a 3/4 yr old level so they say. He was originally said to have ADHD and ODD, now they say he has PDD/NOS.. I dont like stuff people do cause lots of cases with unique kids like this is they are on a rush to put them on some type of drugs.

In my thoughts I dont think kids should be put on any kinda drug period, unless its what they want. We think that they should be on this or that... I dont think its our decision to make. God gave us our kids for some reason or another.(I am not talking about bible god. Tho I have my own religion thing going on and believe god to be a hell of alot cooler than what is said in the bible.) We are supposed to protect our kids from drug dealers and rapists and such.. well its kinda hard to protect you kid if you pushing drugs on them if chances are they wont even help them.

All Big drug companies are is a dealer with legal rights to sell, nothing else. So if they try and push you to put him on Adderall, Strattera, or Ritalin or something. Tell them to take a long walk off a short pier in the best way you know how.

And a note about Einstien, he was supposively stupid and failed math when he was younger. Think about that when you put your kid on governement crack.

[edit on 4/7/2006 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Hi My step son has Aspergers , he did not talk until about 3.5 years old. I noticed when we where in stores he would go up to a item and point , this meaning he wanted that item. He would also grunt as well. He always watched TV , and wanted closed captioning on. When he has tested for reading skills in Kindergarden he was reading at a 3rd grade level. His motor skills and speach skills where lacking. Today at 7 he is very smart and talks like an adult. He has a vast library of words and his motor skills are getting better. When in kindergarden he would not get what the other kids saw as funny or a joke. Now he is understanding all the subtle communication kids employ. I am a former broadcast engineer for ABC so my intellect helps him understand what he wants to know about certain things. My wife is his mother. She has compulsive disorders along whith her father. Both are very smart minded. My step son does not play with children his own age , but likes and plays with older children , as I believe that his intelect maches theirs. Its wonderful to watch him grow and learn. Just hope I can supply all he needs with information. Many Blessings..

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   
what in the world is this?

can it be true? just guessing it might be.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Not to be rude...BUT...

Why does something have to be wrong? There is nothing wrong with a child not ready to talk yet. Before sending him to doctors and web-analyzing him, I would take him to a speech therapist.

I have a 5 year old nephew who still doesn't talk a lot. He is beginning to open up, but it just took him some time.

Some things that may be contributing to his silence:

1. It's very noisy.
2. You speak for him. For example, if he is thirsy and points to a cup, you automatically say "What? You want a drink?" Let him tell you what he wants.
3. He's shy.
4. He isn't involved in social events/only child.
5. He has nothing to say.

Parents need to relax (a little) lately. If they don't do something before the required time, they get all weirded out and start analyzing the symptoms. My middle child fits all of those "Einstein Syndrome"
criteria, too, except the potty training. She is now in gifted classes, and still doesn't tak a lot.

Let them enjoy being children. They will have enough to worry about later in life.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rouschkateer
Not to be rude...BUT...

Why does something have to be wrong? There is nothing wrong with a child not ready to talk yet. Before sending him to doctors and web-analyzing him, I would take him to a speech therapist.

Having Aspergers or Autism isn't something wrong, it's just a different, sometimes better functioning brain. To be honest I sometimes envy those with higher than average levels of Autism for their analytical and computational skills. For someone who wants to stuff as much knowledge into my head as I can, what better way than to have a brain specifically designed to see numbers the way most see human expression, or understand tone of voice.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Having Aspergers or Autism isn't something wrong, it's just a different, sometimes better functioning brain.

I didn't mean to confuse anyone. I didn't say anything WAS wrong. I asked why something HAS to be wrong just because he isn't talking yet.
Does EVERYTHING have to be diagnosed? Sometimes, what it is, is what it is.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   
There is an online test you can take to find out how autistic you are. I scored a 27, which is a little higher than average.

Happy Birthday Rouschkateer

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I scored a 10. I guess that's ok?

Thanks for the B-Day wishes.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara

You'd better look at autism or an autism related disorder like Aspberger syndrome

?????

But he is perfectly fine. Just a late talker. Why would I suspect autism??? Now if you kid does not make eye contact with you and does not want to comuticate with you, then that would be totaly different.

The reason that Autism was suggested is because of a variant or sub-genre of Autism seems to describe what your child might have, Asperger's Syndrome.

When a parent hears the term Autism, it can easily, and naturally, bring a sense of dread into one's heart. However, Asperger's is a variant of Autism. Although a child with Asperger's might have a more difficult time, a diagnosis of Asperger's should not, necessarily, frighten a parent or fill one with dread. Yes, it is a disorder or syndrome that could predict that one's child will have a more difficult time in school or through life but there are many children with Asperger's who have grown up to be high-fucntioning individuals in adulthood.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Hi guys,

I have a four year old boy who only started talking in the last 6 months; but try and shut him up now!! Boys are late developers when it comes to speach, even more so if they have older siblings. My five year old daughter did all his talking for him, so he relied on her; but as many have already said, they take everything in and when they do start talking it's in sentences.

Good luck to you and your son, but don't stress too much! He may just surprise the life out of you and recite you his favourite Spongebob lines.

Best Wishes

J

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara

?????

Yeah really. My son makes eye contact and he communicates. If he wants his bedroom curtains open, he'll turn you around, plant his hands on your behind, steer you to the window, and brush the curtain with his hand. He learned how to work his CD player by watching me. I never taught him to take his dishes to the kitchen, yet one day when he was 3 he decided to start doing it--he watched.

He makes his wants and needs known.

I don't dispute that vaccines can cause autism, but I agree that late-talking does not always mean autism. Besides, with Asperger's late-talking is not a symptom.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rouschkateer
Not to be rude...BUT...

He's already in speech therapy. Has been for 2 years.

1. It's very noisy.

Nope, not here. Any noise around here is what my son makes.

2. You speak for him. For example, if he is thirsy and points to a cup, you automatically say "What? You want a drink?" Let him tell you what he wants.

I don't know how many times I've heard people say that. That's not the issue here. When they're babies, you HAVE to tell them what it is--they don't automatically know the word for what they want! When I try to make my son tell me what he wants he has a fit. If he wants a drink he brings me a cup.

3. He's shy.

I don't see that either. He's interested in other children.

4. He isn't involved in social events/only child.

Then where did I learn to speak? I was a firstborn--no social events. And I took my son to playgroups until he was 3.

5. He has nothing to say.

I doubt that with my son. I think he's pretty fluent in Caveman.

Parents need to relax (a little) lately. If they don't do something before the required time, they get all weirded out and start analyzing the symptoms.

Kinda hard when you get grilled every time you take him to the doctor about his not talking. It's good to know why he is the way he is. Doctors and others need to realize that children are not like cars and that there's no Chilton manual for them!

My middle child fits all of those "Einstein Syndrome"
criteria, too, except the potty training. She is now in gifted classes, and still doesn't tak a lot.

I'd probably fit that too. My mother said that when I was a toddler I only spoke when I wanted to, which wasn't often. I was in accelerated classes in school, and I like to write stories. I'm very good at memorizing dates and numbers. The reason I was a little behind in my potty training was because I was born with a club foot and I often had a cast on my right foot.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

My 3 year old son's preschool teacher has voiced her concerns about his late talking and social skills. At first we though it was normal because h hadn't been in daycare as his two older siblings were. But, after a visit to his pediatrician we were told he was fine. My wife and I are both medical professionals (PA and ARNP) and knew there was more going on. Except for the late potty training, this seems to fit. I also have a very close cousing with asperger's syndrome and they are completely different. I disagree with the fact that Einstein has Asperger's after reading his biography.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join