It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

- - Those secret codes you always read!!! (help) - -

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 07:23 AM
link   
When I'm reading a book, there are usually a few pages around the middleish that have these odd little codes printed right at the base. What on earth do these codes mean? Paper type? Ink type? Nuke codes?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

What got me onto this was:

That is at the base of a page of a document I am translating into editable text.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here's another:

All I want to know is what these numbers mean.

A ridiculous amount of this document is blacked out, as are a few images on the page that number is located on.

I scrolled up to another page that contains all blacked out images (I can tell by the border), and sure enough, this is what I found:

Paper and ink type doesn't really fit in with your average formerly-classified-project-summary.

Thanks for your replies in advance!

I wracked my brains for where to post this, and could not find anywhere else, so it may have to be moved.

edit: worked out how to enlarge images! (zoom in, doofus)

[edit on 6/4/2006 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I've seen them b4 and i asked someone who writes books and they told me...but i dont remember what they said...it was something really stupid though. Hmm, i guess i will have to ask them again.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Hey wtr, are you talking about the page or report numbers at the lower right? They look to be just that, ie page numbers.

Maybe 4-92 is month and date? The other numbers could simply be document classification numbers like for refrence? Doesn't seem strange to me.

In electronic document management, each document must have its own number, and there can be thousands. Then, each document may need to be classified, so it may have a second number, to indicate which classification its in. So there you've got two numbers and a date like this:

34359 - 3394 - 4/92

...Electronic documents like this often have these numbers coded directly into the document for ease of use and editing. If you have a link to the documents you are referring to, it might help. I'm just guessing, of course.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Thanks for the reply, smallpeeps, but I realize that those codes do reference some sort of page or file system or something. I just want to know what exactly they mean.

When I talk about the numbers, I mean the ones that go 724743 (B01374) 4-92. Not page numbers.

The original pdf is located here: www.cia.gov... (thanks 71!!)

P. 112 using the pdf page number. Be warned, if your computer's slow the site can take a long, long time to load.

And the numbers are only located on those pages with images on them, so I'm not so sure about 'ease of editing,' but you never know. Those government types . . .

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Of 59, 176 members, not even one has a clue?

bump

top topics

join