77 TV stations aired 'fake news reports'

page: 1

join

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 02:42 AM
link   

77 TV stations aired 'fake news reports'

A study by a group that monitors the media reveals that, over a ten month span, 77 television stations from all across the nation aired video news releases without informing their viewers even once that the reports were actually sponsored content, RAW STORY has found.

One "news report" that aired on three stations relied on a video news release (VNR) produced by a PR firm on behalf of General Motors which was even apparently based on a "false claim."

Center for Media and Democracy's Fake TV News: Widespread and Undisclosed is "a multimedia report on television newsrooms' use of material provided by PR firms on behalf of paying clients," containing video footage of the 36 video news releases (VNRs) cited in the report, plus a map and spreadsheet of the stations cited.

More...

This is a fascinating read...

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Fascinating indeed! and a bit scary.

I'd vote WATS for you again if I could.

Interesting find.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Here's another link for the story:
www.prwatch.org...

Although the number of media formats and outlets has exploded in recent years, television remains the dominant news source in the United States. More than three-quarters of U.S. adults rely on local TV news, and more than 70 percent turn to network TV or cable news on a daily or near-daily basis, according to a January 2006 Harris Poll. The quality and integrity of television reporting thus significantly impacts the public's ability to evaluate everything from consumer products to medical services to government policies.

Actually, it appears to be a link to the report itself done by the Center for Media and Democracy. I guess the scary part is that it legitimizes what I thought all along: we are being told what THEY want us to know :shk:

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Figures is all I can say....
Loam and Donttreadonme for these finds. it just goes to show you that we need to keep the internet free and not pay to play as many of the Telecomunication companies and Cable companies want. Because, as evidenced by these two articles and just good common sense, if we lose the internet then there will be nothing left to get out the REAL news. I watch the news nearly everyday....lil plug for Lou Dobbs and Keith Olbermann....but i dramatically supliment with Internet Blogs and internet news services that are not affiliated(as far as i can tell generally) with any major news Source. The other major problem is that Cnn, Fox news, Headline News, all of them have convinced Joe Blow American that if it doesnt appear on one of these news services it didnt really happen. So the first step in rectifiying this situation is to prove to people that NON-COMMERICAL news services are reliable and the MAINSTREAM Media for the most part LIES to us.

Great find

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   
A new report from veteran investigative reporter Amy Goodman's Democracy Now! TV and radio show on the continuing and worsening U.S. problems with unlabeled Video News Releases (VNR) masquerading as local TV reporting. Here is that link:

www.democracynow.org.../11/14/1518200

What makes this worse is that a trade association is petitioning the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to disregard consumer and watchdog group complaints about TV station use of unlabeled VNRs. So, for those of you in the U.S., send in those cards and letters and phone calls and e-mails of complaint to your CongressPeople and Senators.

[edit on 11/22/2006 by Uphill]

join